Grade the 2020 draft of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers

bucsfan333

Bucsb_logo.gif Tampa Bay Buccaneers: A Grade 

Goals Entering the 2020 NFL Draft: The Buccaneers have gone "all in" on winning this year by acquiring Tom Brady. Thus, they need to make sure he has the appropriate talent around him to win a Super Bowl. This includes a new right tackle to replace Demar Dotson and a new running back to pair with Ronald Jones. The Buccaneers could use some pieces on their defense as well, but they should focus on the offense in this draft.

2020 NFL Draft Accomplishments: It's unbelievable that the Buccaneers were able to obtain Tristan Wirfs at No. 13 overall. Wirfs was one argument away from being the fourth pick in the draft, and yet he somehow slipped all the way down to Tampa in the early teens. That's crazy, but the Buccaneers won't be complaining. They obtained a huge upgrade at right tackle to help protect Tom Brady. 

The good fortune didn't end there. The Buccaneers landed another steal at No. 45 when Antoine Winfield Jr. fell to them. Winfield is an excellent safety prospect who could have been chosen in the first round without any complaints. It would be odd to see him slip to the middle of second frame, but all of the safeties fell. Nevertheless, Tampa managed to find another big upgrade. 

Tampa Bay waited until the third round to find its running back. Ke'Shawn Vaughn was a solid pick, as was fifth-rounder Tyler Johnson, who will provide some needed depth at receiver in the wake of Breshad Perriman's departure. 

The Buccaneers had a tremendous draft overall. They were already enjoying an unreal offseason in which they landed two future Hall of Famers, and now they have a great draft class to complement Brady and Rob Gronkowski. 

• Like 2

Round 1 (13): T Tristan Wirfs, Iowa
Round 2 (45): S Antoine Winfield Jr., Minnesota
Round 3 (76): RB Ke’Shawn Vaughn, Vanderbilt
Round 5 (161): WR Tyler Johnson, Minnesota
Round 6 (194): DI Khalil Davis, Nebraska
Round 7 (241): LB Chappelle Russell, Temple
Round 7 (245): RB Raymond Calais, Louisiana

Day 1: Tampa Bay traded picks Nos. 14 and 117 to the 49ers in exchange for picks Nos. 13 and 245 to make sure former Iowa offensive tackle Tristan Wirfs will be blocking for Tom Brady in 2020. He’s coming off a career year with the Hawkeyes, having earned a 91.8 overall grade that ranked fourth among qualifying tackles. His technique will need to improve at the next level, but his freakish athleticism and power combine for a high, high ceiling in the NFL — a slam dunk pick for the Buccaneers.

Day 2: Antoine Winfield Jr., a former Minnesota safety with NFL bloodlines, is a strong selection for Tampa Bay at No. 45. He is an uber-instinctive player who also checked some boxes at the Combine with his 4.45-second 40-yard dash.

“I think he can do a lot of things that you want from a versatile, modern safety… You can tell when a safety just sees things at a different level, and it shows up again and again on Winfield’s tape this past season. The injury history, yes it’s a concern. But I’m more than willing to take a shot on him here.” — PFF’s Mike Renner

Vaughn is a solid zone runner with plus speed and burst. He'll get what's blocked and then a little extra. He ranked seventh among running backs and 146th on PFF’s final big board. 

Day 3: The rich get richer. Getting Tyler Johnson — the 48th-ranked player on the PFF Big Board — at pick 161 to play on an offense that already features Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Rob Gronkowski and O.J. Howard is borderline unfair. Johnson generates separation at one of the highest rates in the class, but even when he doesn’t, he owns one of the highest contested-catch rates in the class as well. That’s how you earn back-to-back receiving grades over 90.0. 

Draft Grade: A-

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Bucsb_logo.gif Tampa Bay Buccaneers: A Grade 

Goals Entering the 2020 NFL Draft: The Buccaneers have gone "all in" on winning this year by acquiring Tom Brady. Thus, they need to make sure he has the appropriate talent around him to win a Super Bowl. This includes a new right tackle to replace Demar Dotson and a new running back to pair with Ronald Jones. The Buccaneers could use some pieces on their defense as well, but they should focus on the offense in this draft.

2020 NFL Draft Accomplishments: It's unbelievable that the Buccaneers were able to obtain Tristan Wirfs at No. 13 overall. Wirfs was one argument away from being the fourth pick in the draft, and yet he somehow slipped all the way down to Tampa in the early teens. That's crazy, but the Buccaneers won't be complaining. They obtained a huge upgrade at right tackle to help protect Tom Brady. 

The good fortune didn't end there. The Buccaneers landed another steal at No. 45 when Antoine Winfield Jr. fell to them. Winfield is an excellent safety prospect who could have been chosen in the first round without any complaints. It would be odd to see him slip to the middle of second frame, but all of the safeties fell. Nevertheless, Tampa managed to find another big upgrade. 

Tampa Bay waited until the third round to find its running back. Ke'Shawn Vaughn was a solid pick, as was fifth-rounder Tyler Johnson, who will provide some needed depth at receiver in the wake of Breshad Perriman's departure. 

The Buccaneers had a tremendous draft overall. They were already enjoying an unreal offseason in which they landed two future Hall of Famers, and now they have a great draft class to complement Brady and Rob Gronkowski. 

This website had to change ownership

• Like 1

The Wirfs pick was great. We got one of the top 4 tackles which could have easily not happened. It would have changed everything honestly. We probably would have drafted Kinlaw, then had to trade up for a tackle not as good as Wirfs. 

I think overall the draft was great. I just would have felt much better getting another D-lineman for depth. We gotta hope those guys stay healthy all year. 

11 minutes ago, Caaddy24 said:

The Wirfs pick was great. We got one of the top 4 tackles which could have easily not happened. It would have changed everything honestly. We probably would have drafted Kinlaw, then had to trade up for a tackle not as good as Wirfs. 

I think overall the draft was great. I just would have felt much better getting another D-lineman for depth. We gotta hope those guys stay healthy all year. 

I think I read that San Fran was offered more from other teams for 13. But they passed on them for our offer. I'd imagine that means they really wanted Kinlaw and knew only by trading with us could they move and be guaranteed to get him.

5 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I think I read that San Fran was offered more from other teams for 13. But they passed on them for our offer. I'd imagine that means they really wanted Kinlaw and knew only by trading with us could they move and be guaranteed to get him.

also i think lynch gave us a hometown discount

14 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

That's definitely what I think happened for sure. And the Bucs must have just assured them the pick would be Wirfs, and not Kinlaw. 

• Like 1