2020 Undrafted Free Agents

gopherwrestler

25 minutes ago, Krauser said:

The final roster will have a lot to do with the team’s investments,

It’s interesting you mention this because one can argue the Vikings have more invested in players like Nevelle clarke and quartney Davis than any of their 7th rounders. They both received more guaranteed money than the majority of 7th rounders. 

53 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

It’s interesting you mention this because one can argue the Vikings have more invested in players like Nevelle clarke and quartney Davis than any of their 7th rounders. They both received more guaranteed money than the majority of 7th rounders. 

That would be a bad argument. Draft capital is much more valuable to an NFL than than a $100K signing bonus for a UDFA. 

Osborn was a 5th rounder. 

Using draft capital doesn't necessarily mean they value that player over a UDFA at the same position. It could just be that they had a good read on the draft board, that they knew the UDFA would fall out of the draft and they felt confident in their ability to sign them on the UDFA market, whereas they had to use a draft pick in order to get the other guy in camp.

Now, I don't know what the cutoff for that is.....probably more 6th and 7th than 5th, but the Osborn pick was the very bottom of the round so it could be they started that a little early.

• Like 1

Drafting someone guarantees you their rights. Letting someone hit UDFA means you now have to compete with other teams. 

So, obviously the Vikings were more willing to lose out on players like Davis and Clarke over guys like Cole, Hinton, Stanley, and Willekes. 

I rather keep more depth at special team \ high potential defenders, than 6 WRs. 

I hope Osborn makes it as PR (and it damn good at it).

And it comes down to Sharpe showing he doesn't have just a low floor, else I'd take Davis or someone else as WR5

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krauser said:

That would be a bad argument. Draft capital is much more valuable to an NFL than than a $100K signing bonus for a UDFA. 

Osborn was a 5th rounder. 

Agreed.

Signing an UDFA to a bigger contract than a 7th round selection, is akin companies paying new employees (who have employment options) higher than current employees (not really having options)