Packers 2020 WR Corps

TheOnlyThing

7 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

After I posed the question I took a look. A lot of the names were players that played in the CFL after they played in the NFL. That 

I honestly didn't know about Theisman. I was thinking Warren Moon. I loved Flutie in the Dr. Pepper commercial where he asked for a T-shirt. Guy says, "All I've got is a boy's medium." Flutie says, "That'll work."

I've been low effort looking for this commercial for a while now. I was starting to think I had made it up in my head.

Random factoid: If St. Brown breaks out the way some on here think he will, it would allow the Packers to become, thus far, the only team in the 2010s to draft two wide receivers who totaled more than 1,000 yards for their careers on day 3 of the same draft. It doesn't happen often (I believe the last time was 2009, and if you say you can name the receivers involved without looking it up, you either have a photographic memory or are lying) and most of the other times this century have been during the rare years that produce a good number of useful Day 3 receivers. That does not appear to have been the case with the 2018 draft. Valdez-Scantling has a lead of more than 300 yards on the field and a lead of more than 400 yards on all of them who seem likely to actually play this season.

42 minutes ago, Deps said:

Random factoid: If St. Brown breaks out the way some on here think he will, it would allow the Packers to become, thus far, the only team in the 2010s to draft two wide receivers who totaled more than 1,000 yards for their careers on day 3 of the same draft. It doesn't happen often (I believe the last time was 2009, and if you say you can name the receivers involved without looking it up, you either have a photographic memory or are lying) and most of the other times this century have been during the rare years that produce a good number of useful Day 3 receivers. That does not appear to have been the case with the 2018 draft. Valdez-Scantling has a lead of more than 300 yards on the field and a lead of more than 400 yards on all of them who seem likely to actually play this season.

Had to look it up. Zero chance anyone knows the answer

10 hours ago, Deps said:

Jaguars?  McCardell and Smith?  But they were pre-2009.  That's about my only guess.

Maybe Edelman and Hogan for the Pats?

Or Edelman and Ammendola?

40 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Jaguars?  McCardell and Smith?  But they were pre-2009.  That's about my only guess.

Maybe Edelman and Hogan for the Pats?

Or Edelman and Ammendola?

Good guess on Jags, but think much more obscure (while both topped 1,000 career yards, neither reached 2,000).

9 hours ago, Deps said:

26 receivers were drafted in 2018.
MVS was 17th.
7 have more receiving yards than MVS.

The 8 receivers who have 1,000 receiving yards since that draft, their number of targets, their yardage and their draft position:
Moore, 217, 1963, 24
Sutton, 208, 1816, 40.
Ridley, 185, 1687, 26
Gallup, 181, 1614, 81
Kirk, 176, 1299, 47
Chark, 150, 1182, 61
Miller, 139, 1079, 51
MVS, 129, 1033, 174

Order them by yards per target:
Ridley - 9.1
Moore - 9.0
Gallup - 8.9
Sutton - 8.7
MVS - 8.0
Chark - 7.8
Miller - 7.6
Kirk - 7.3

Completely unrelated, but the lack of perspective on what MVS has accomplished thus far and what he is capable of is always obnoxious to me. 

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

MVS was 17th.

The 8 receivers who have 1,000 receiving yards since that draft, their number of targets, their yardage and their draft position:
Moore, 217, 1963, 24
Sutton, 208, 1816, 40.
Ridley, 185, 1687, 26
Gallup, 181, 1614, 81
Kirk, 176, 1299, 47
Chark, 150, 1182, 61
Miller, 139, 1079, 51
MVS, 129, 1033, 174

Ridley - 9.1
Moore - 9.0
Gallup - 8.9
Sutton - 8.7
MVS - 8.0
Chark - 7.8
Miller - 7.6
Kirk - 7.3

Completely unrelated, but the lack of perspective on what MVS has accomplished thus far and what he is capable of is always obnoxious to me. 

I agree. If MVS has a year like his first 7 games ( 3 games with about 50 yards, 2 games of about 100 yards)  he’s one of the better WR 2s. 

We don’t know what went wrong the second half of the year. Could be a undisclosed injury, a loss of confidence , maybe something in his personal life? 

who knows, but half of the year of plus play is enough to say he has the talent to be a good player. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

MVS was 17th.

Moore, 217, 1963, 24
Sutton, 208, 1816, 40.
Ridley, 185, 1687, 26
Gallup, 181, 1614, 81
Kirk, 176, 1299, 47
Chark, 150, 1182, 61
Miller, 139, 1079, 51
MVS, 129, 1033, 174

Ridley - 9.1
Moore - 9.0
Gallup - 8.9
Sutton - 8.7
MVS - 8.0
Chark - 7.8
Miller - 7.6
Kirk - 7.3

Yep, most drafts only 3-4 Day 3 wide receivers end up reaching 1,000 yards for their careers, let alone in the first two years. There is probably about a 90% chance he ends up being one of the top four Day 3 receivers from that draft, and that might be selling the odds short.

13 hours ago, Deps said:

Is it not

Mike Thomas and Tiquan Underwood on the Jags

? I looked it up on wiki and they seem to fit

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

...We don’t know what went wrong the second half of the year. Could be a undisclosed injury, a loss of confidence , maybe something in his personal life? ...

He did have injury.  He got hurt in the first Lions game, ankle, game 6.  It's possible that did factor in thereafter.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/packers-raiders-injury-report-marquez-valdes-scantling-questionable-after-playing-through-pain-last-week

To some degree, I think MVS might hypothetically be the biggest beneficiary of improved play-action.  Obviously Adams is going to get lots of double-team attention even when we're seeming to be in run sets.  But you'd think MVS, if he gets some snaps,  should get single-coverage.  Assuming defenses are going to be compressing to stuff the run and all of the underneath TE/Funchess type stuff, you'd think the top of the defense should be relatively vulnerable.  Whether MVS can catch what's catchable, and whether Rodgers can throw anything that's catchable remains to be seen.  But the run-emphasis could give him some opportunities.  Would be really cool if Rodgers and MVS could connect more effectively this year.  

I think I might do a real quick run through of MVS's whole season at some point.  I jumped to the end of the year to see if there was an obvious reason he wasn't 'getting snaps, but I didn't see anything.  His burst is just at a different level than the rest of the receiving group barring Adams, and he's not just a deep guy; he's plenty happy to eat up cushion on his stem and then snap it off hard when the CB bails.  He looked like a guy who should have been getting targets, or at the very least more snaps, and I'm not sure why he wasn't getting them.  

• Like 1