Packers 2020 WR Corps

TheOnlyThing

43 minutes ago, craig said:

He did have injury.  He got hurt in the first Lions game, ankle, game 6.  It's possible that did factor in thereafter.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/packers-raiders-injury-report-marquez-valdes-scantling-questionable-after-playing-through-pain-last-week

To some degree, I think MVS might hypothetically be the biggest beneficiary of improved play-action.  Obviously Adams is going to get lots of double-team attention even when we're seeming to be in run sets.  But you'd think MVS, if he gets some snaps,  should get single-coverage.  Assuming defenses are going to be compressing to stuff the run and all of the underneath TE/Funchess type stuff, you'd think the top of the defense should be relatively vulnerable.  Whether MVS can catch what's catchable, and whether Rodgers can throw anything that's catchable remains to be seen.  But the run-emphasis could give him some opportunities.  Would be really cool if Rodgers and MVS could connect more effectively this year.  

That would do it. 

16 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

I'm not sure why he wasn't getting them.  

two comments I read on the internet, including here.
He was too easily pushed off of his routes and he couldn't sustain blocks in the run game

In the fateful penultimate play vs Philly, some questioned his route/positioning that led to a game-sealing INT in the endzone.
I'm not sure about that one, but I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts you or others have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDb1MGsyY5I

starts about the 12:50 mark

Man, was that a terrible play.  Seems like MVS ran it poorly; didn't "sell" going towards the end zone, and go another step deeper; just immediately headed laterally along the line of scrimmage.  And did it so quickly, and then Rodgers threw it so quickly, that the guy covering Shepherd had no reason to stick with him.  The ball was already in the air with Shepherds guy going for the ball before Shepherd and MVS ever had time to cross each other; and before Rodgers had a chance to see whether Shepherd's guy was going to run into MVS and leave Shepherd WIDE open in the corner, of whether Shepherd's guy was going to stick with Shepherd and leave MVS 1-on-1 instead of 1-on-2.  Even once the ball was thrown, it didn't look like MVS reached out to grab it; seemed to alligator-arm it, although it's hard to tell from the video whether the defender had maybe hooked his arm.  

Overall, it looks like a well-designed play.  Either Shepherd, or MVS, or possibly both, seemed well designed to have opportunity.  But the timing and execution just seems lousy, rushed.  Probably partly MVS at fault.  Maybe Rodgers, needed to wait another split second to make Shepherd's guy commit, and then to throw to whichever guy he left uncovered?  Perhaps also just a case where Shepherd's guy was guessing, and guessing that Shepherd wasn't going to be Rodgers' target, so he just guessed and guessed right and won the game?  

But a fascinating play regardless.  I still love (Hate) looking at it and trying to understand it better.  

4 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

two comments I read on the internet, including here.
He was too easily pushed off of his routes and he couldn't sustain blocks in the run game

In the fateful penultimate play vs Philly, some questioned his route/positioning that led to a game-sealing INT in the endzone.
I'm not sure about that one, but I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts you or others have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDb1MGsyY5I

starts about the 12:50 mark

The 12:50 mark is a great grab. 

The interception was a DPI that went uncalled because it was a rub route. Nobody ran it wrong. It was very likely a predetermined throw. 

The hope is that either the coverage blows it. MVS is able to box out the receiver and make a catch through contact, or you get the DPI. It's not like it didn't work. The defender committed DPI.

You can't expect that ball to get tipped in the air, AND you don't get the call. That's just bad luck.

Edited by AlexGreen#20
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I remember being pretty mad at the no PI call at the end of the Eagles game.  But that is the way it goes sometimes. 

If I counted correctly, we were 7-1 in one score games last season.  I am sure that we got a couple of breaks in those games too.  

In fact, the Packers were 9-1 in one score games last season, which we can be all but certain won't happen again in 2020.

39 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The 12:50 mark is a great grab. 

The interception was a DPI that went uncalled because it was a rub route. Nobody ran it wrong. It was very likely a predetermined throw. 

The hope is that either the coverage blows it. MVS is able to box out the receiver and make a catch through contact, or you get the DPI. It's not like it didn't work. The defender committed DPI.

You can't expect that ball to get tipped in the air, AND you don't get the call. That's just bad luck.

Yeah, that play is just bad luck and worse reffing.  It happens.  Nothing there should be used against MVS for certain, and that grab at 12:50 was a great play in a big moment right before it.

1 hour ago, MrBobGray said:

In fact, the Packers were 9-1 in one score games last season, which we can be all but certain won't happen again in 2020.

Pretty sure that's not actually all that out of the ordinary for us.

Completely off the top of my head.....

In 2018 we were like 6-7-1 in games we were tied or leading in the fourth quarter.

In the three years prior we were something like 24-3 when tied or leading in the 4th (with Rodgers as QB).

I could be totally mistaken but I know I looked it up prior to this last season. I'll do it again when I have a day off.