Packers 2020 WR Corps

TheOnlyThing

10 minutes ago, Joe said:

Just because he wears #10 doesn't mean we're going to ask him to be Kordell Stewart circa 1996....

yeah, those schemes for him to run the ball left him all sort of room to work with on the field and he just kinda sauntered through a lot of his routes as well. That speed probably won't translate to the league. Still, it's worth giving him a shot seeings how he's got a lot of experience running the kinds of plays in which MLF would be using him.

Stewart = practice squad at best

21 hours ago, Joe said:

Just because he wears #10 doesn't mean we're going to ask him to be Kordell Stewart circa 1996....

yeah, those schemes for him to run the ball left him all sort of room to work with on the field and he just kinda sauntered through a lot of his routes as well. That speed probably won't translate to the league. Still, it's worth giving him a shot seeings how he's got a lot of experience running the kinds of plays in which MLF would be using him.

I didn't say use him like Stewart. I was saying it would be a chance to get him on the field occasionally and eventually a snap out of the shotgun next to Rodgers just to get his feet wet.

On 5/20/2020 at 2:13 PM, TheGreatZepp said:

While I was looking up late round wide receiver successes I realized just how solid the 2014 wide receiver class was!

Yep.

What's frustrating to me is how the Packers stopped drafting WRs in the 2nd round after Adams. They had so much success doing it, then after Cobb and Adams, nothing.

It's a damn shame.

On 5/21/2020 at 9:55 PM, Arthur Penske said:

Have any of you seen EQs workouts? That guy is starting to look less like a string bean and more like his dad. 

Yes!

This is big, literally and figuratively.

I'm feeling so much better about this year's WRs. Replacing the 1,000+ snaps that Allson, Kumerow and Shepherd took at WR with NFL caliber WRs will be huge!

On 5/21/2020 at 8:55 PM, Arthur Penske said:

Have any of you seen EQs workouts? That guy is starting to look less like a string bean and more like his dad. 

No, haven't seen.  How big does he look now?  230?  Bigger?  

To some degree this is where combine numbers have mixed value.  In terms of flexibility and athletic stuff, will he have the same speed and flexibility now that he had then?  May be a pretty different physique with very different pros and cons.  

But yeah, that guy has the potential to be a really physical blocker, and have the speed to be really good as a movement blocker.  

2 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Anyone else more concerned about Rick Wagner than how EQ, MVS, Lazard, and Funchess will fair?

Not really .. Wagner stunk it up last year, but there's no reason he shouldn't rebound this season as long as he's healthy.  He's a guy that was good enough to ink a pretty lucrative deal a few years back.  I'm optimistic. 

22 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Anyone else more concerned about Rick Wagner than how EQ, MVS, Lazard, and Funchess will fair?

I actually think Wagner will fit in seamlessly. Down year last year but overall has been a well-above average OT throughout his career. Was very good with Baltimore before going to Detroit. Guy is from Wisconsin, probably glad to be back home. I don't think we'll be saying Wagner's name much at all this year -- which will be a good thing. 

22 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Not really .. Wagner stunk it up last year, but there's no reason he shouldn't rebound this season as long as he's healthy.  He's a guy that was good enough to ink a pretty lucrative deal a few years back.  I'm optimistic. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I actually think Wagner will fit in seamlessly. Down year last year but overall has been a well-above average OT throughout his career. Was very good with Baltimore before going to Detroit. Guy is from Wisconsin, probably glad to be back home. I don't think we'll be saying Wagner's name much at all this year -- which will be a good thing. 

I hope you guys are right. Can't help but worry about him and also who's behind him at RT if he gets hurt or sucks.

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

I hope you guys are right. Can't help but worry about him and also who's behind him at RT if he gets hurt or sucks.

This is the more concerning issue IMO, but I think the Packers' plan is to have Turner be the backup RT. This would especially be the case if they keep Lane Taylor. 

On 5/29/2020 at 12:50 PM, Arthur Penske said:

I am also very concerned.  I see Wagner as more of a power type RT, not a great pass protector.  Two games each vs.: Trey Flowers, Kalil Mack and Danielle Hunter.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

I am also very concerned.  I see Wagner as more of a power type RT, not a great pass protector.  Two games each vs.: Trey Flowers, Kalil Mack and Danielle Hunter.

Fingers crossed.

Doesn't Mack usually line up off LT? Flowers doesn't exactly scare me either, especially when they really don't have the type of DT's that are going to be a handful in the middle; I think you see plenty of double teams. I'm also looking at that Minnesota roster and I'm thinking the same thing. Since they lost both Griffin and Joseph, I can't see that front-7 being as tough as it has been in previous years.

15 minutes ago, Joe said:

Doesn't Mack usually line up off LT? Flowers doesn't exactly scare me either, especially when they really don't have the type of DT's that are going to be a handful in the middle; I think you see plenty of double teams. I'm also looking at that Minnesota roster and I'm thinking the same thing. Since they lost both Griffin and Joseph, I can't see that front-7 being as tough as it has been in previous years.

Mack lines up wherever he's the biggest threat.

I think there's an OL thread for wagner slander, but I'd say #2 weapon/WR/TE is the biggest concern on the offense.  Wagner messing up will be evident and glaring and result in pressured throwaways, sacks, and turnovers.  Funchess/MVS/EQ doing their best and not being good enough will result in 3rd and longs, random incompletions, and angrily yelling at the TV "why isn't anyone open" or more likely, "Why does Rodgers suck now?"

Its the difference between the subtle absence of quality and the obviousness of a mistake.

• Like 1