Packers 2020 WR Corps

TheOnlyThing

Funchess is my surprise cut.

Surprising because many things need to happen.  Lazard takes a pretty large step forward.  MVS does as well.  EQ takes 2-3 steps forward.

If Funchess isn't clearly your #2 or #3, then I don't see much use for him on the roster.  

The only way I see a Funchess cut is if his injury is still a problem. I think you're going to see a ton of different formations so there may not be a clear #2 or #3. If he's healthy I think all he has to do to make the team is beat out Kumerow. Plus, he got a $1Million signing bonus, so they don't save much on the salary cap by cutting him. 

Regarding Funchess...to me it isn't about the money.  He's gotta be a clear tier better than EQ and that's assuming that MVS and Lazard are already a tier or two ahead of EQ.

I wouldn't keep Funchess around to ride pine and take reps from other younger players who still have upside and will be around next year.

Honestly, I don't think he will be cut, that's why he's my surprise cut at that position.

On 4/26/2020 at 1:07 PM, Packerraymond said:

I had a 2nd round grade on EQ. Think the dad thing scared teams away. That's a long- limbed human, who's loose with athletic ability a tick below elite. Miserable QB play hurt him his last year too. 

To put it in comparison I had a very similar grade on him as I had Tee Higgins this year.

In his 3rd year with minimal tread or injuries sustained, I don't blame this staff for being high on him. I think he's absolutely the 2nd highest ceiling on the roster for a WR.

Rainman called it way back in April

Equanimeous-St.-Brown_18281683124346.jpg

• Like 1

It would be fantastic if one or two of them steps up from this wide receiver group to shut up many media know it alls that project the group to be so bad this year. Same goes for the rookie draft choices knowing that Love has no chance except for learning and improving. 

13 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I will say, if you watch Reggie Begelton's CFL highlights, he is the best WR ever.  

I can't tell if he's good or not. I guess we'll have to wait until training camp when he's matched up against NFL DB's. 

Unless they take a pretty major step forward, MVS and ESB both fall into the Jeff Janis category for me. Plenty of talent, but struggle with the offense. Would you rather keep the guys with more talent who get lost out there, or the Kumerow/Lazzard types? I prefer the latter but it is a philosophy of your roster type question.

Why the vitriol for Kumerow? The guy is a high effort player that makes plays when his number is called.  If someone beats him out, then replace him.  Just like Myles White, Jeff Janis, Ruvell Martin, Jared Abbrederris, etc.  It isn't like the guy is beating his wife, or selling drugs to kids.  

• Like 2

I just rather have an extra CB rather than using a roster spot on him. I don't hate him, but he's 28, and has already peak. That peak is being a WR5 in a below than average receiving corps. The only reason to keep him as a WR6 is that he already knows the playbook and he has an advantage over new guys. The top 5 spots are pretty much taken by Adams, Funchess, Lazard, Valdes-Scantling and Saint Brown.

ESB seemed to be developing a rapport with Rodgers late in 2018. Kumerow is what he is. A high effort guy capable of an occasional big play. AT 28, doubtful he will get better.  ESB would seem to be the guy with more potential upside. 

1 hour ago, VonKarman said:

When has ESB struggled?

I get it when people say they forgot about EQ or don't remember specific plays.
But making **** up is just silly. EQ hasn't struggled with the offense, or with being in the right place or with earning QB1s trust.

“I’m excited about getting EQ back from injury and seeing how he feels,” Rodgers said during a conference call last month. “He really made some great strides his rookie year, especially towards the end of the season, making plays for us and growing each week. He has a great approach to the game.
It will be fun to see him healthy.”

cool play here with 15 seconds left, game on the line and GB needs to get into FG range.
Great throw, fantastic catch, feet in bounds, clock stopped. Not bad for a rookie WR

Edited by Shanedorf

Based on 2019 preseason games, St. Brown struggled and looked like was going to get beat out for a roster spot, by less talented guys playing better than him, as Davis, Kumerow, Shepherd and Kumerow all out played him in the preseason games. And I thought he was going to be released if he didn't step it up, and then he got injured.

Not to mention, Rodgers was praising WRs left and right, even when he wasn't asked about them, only to barely mention St. Brown even and only after reporters brought him up.

St. Brown has a ton of potential, but his 2019 preseason sucked... he looked so much better as a rookie. I hoping it's the WR coach, who's now gone, but I don't know. Then again, they did make the silly decision to release Lazard... they were lucky to keep him.

Hopefully we see more of the 2018 St. Brown than the 2019 one.

Edited by Beast