Packers 2020 WR Corps

TheOnlyThing

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ease off projecting your own expectations first. I've been pulling for EQ since we drafted him. Believe it or dont..not a concern for me. Plus - I'm amazingly consistent in that I'm *ALWAYS* (and I mean always.....) in favor drafting more WR/RB talent or difference makers. Call it a bias of mine.....but at least I own up to it.

Nothing wrong with pulling for the guy. It's just funny because if we had drafted Aiyuk on Thursday, no one would be talking about EQ right now, that's just a fact. This is basically a repeat of the roller-coaster of opinions we all had last year. Pre-FA/draft = we need WR, we're going to draft WR, etc. Post-FA/draft = we are fine, we have MVS and EQ and they're going to take jumps. 

Every fan base does it. We're justifying actions because we want to be optimistic as possible. Again, it's just funny how that works. I hope EQ is a stud. 

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

We've entered the "justification" phase. Look, I get that we're probably going with what we have at WR now and that's fine, but no need to spend considerable amounts of time building up guys like St. Brown when every single person in this forum was clamoring for a WR all off-season that likely (a) would have taken his spot or (b) would have pushed him further down the depth chart. 

Just because we struck out on signing Emmanuel Sanders and chose Love over the 2nd tier WR group because we were unlucky and the 1st tier guys were gone by pick 26 doesn't suddenly make EQ the "hidden gem" that erases our WR need. At best, it's going to give a guy, who was out of football last year, more reps where he'll have a "chance" to improve upon his rookie season when he caught 21 passes. Let's have reasonable expectations. 

Most people here want WRs because they are hype players and they want to buy new jerseys and watch YouTube mixes. Also because the media won't stop with that narrative.

This team needed a DL and an heir to RT far more than it needed a WR. Granted we got neither of those either lol.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

You're trying to be sarcastic, but I actually agree with this. That's exactly my point. A legitimate high end talent is on the roster who straight wasn't last year. Can you explain why you think that shouldn't be factored into this group? 

I absolutely think he should. I think he's your 4-5 guy, with a ceiling of maybe even your 3. Anything can happen. The original post was merely to highlight how fans in general, regardless of position or player, attempt to justify actions by their team after the fact. That's just how it works. If we would have drafted a top WR on Thursday, we wouldn't be talking today about EQ and him being a "first or second round" talent. 

People were sharing these exact same sentiments about MVS last year because of how he did as a rookie. He's not the popular guy right now because he disappeared in the second half of 2019. Fans are looking for answers and EQ is a guy we can point to and say, "wait, maybe we're okay after all." 

*And for the record -- I do the same thing. My guy is Funchess. He's my guy I'm now looking at and saying, "well, our WR group will better because we signed him and he has the best chance to be the yin to Adam's yang."

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Nothing wrong with pulling for the guy. It's just funny because if we had drafted Aiyuk on Thursday, no one would be talking about EQ right now, that's just a fact.

Not true for me.

Again - I've been pulling for EQ since drafted simply because of the size/skill sets he possessed and my eyeball test. I think he can make plays for us. 

JUST THROW HIM THE DAMN BALL AR!
(Sorry.....thats always lurking.....)

Would I have balked at drafting Aiyuk? Never. Not in my DNA. Not because I had the depth of understanding the different WRs - I just dont go there - but he was a name and "known" difference maker. I'd have welcomed him with open arms - and still pulled for EQ.

I dont root against players. Thats a negative vibe that doesnt work with me.

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Most people here want WRs because they are hype players and they want to buy new jerseys and watch YouTube mixes. Also because the media won't stop with that narrative.

This team needed a DL and an heir to RT far more than it needed a WR. Granted we got neither of those either lol.

Agree on DL for sure. Hence my comment about the status of our DL in the other thread. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

People were sharing these exact same sentiments about MVS last year because of how he did as a rookie. He's not the popular guy right now because he disappeared in the second half of 2019. Fans are looking for answers and EQ is a guy we can point to and say, "wait, maybe we're okay after all." 

Interesting.......

I didnt know either EQ or MVS until I looked at videos after they'd been drafted.
I immediately thought EQ could provide faster/bigger return than MVS - based on what I saw - the differening college programs - and what I perceived would be more work MVS would need to put in.

MVS had a good start but disappointing end to 2019. Okay. Not the end of the world. Davante struggled with his confidence his second season as well. It can happen.

• Like 1

I mean, the reason that the narrative was that they needed a WR was that the passing game was incredibly inconsistent last year.  But there's more ways to fix that than "add WRs".

As for WRs, at what point in the draft did we run out of "guys who are going to make a difference ASAP"?  They didn't really have a roster spot for a "developing project WR" after all.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Nothing wrong with pulling for the guy. It's just funny because if we had drafted Aiyuk on Thursday, no one would be talking about EQ right now, that's just a fact. This is basically a repeat of the roller-coaster of opinions we all had last year. Pre-FA/draft = we need WR, we're going to draft WR, etc. Post-FA/draft = we are fine, we have MVS and EQ and they're going to take jumps. 

Every fan base does it. We're justifying actions because we want to be optimistic as possible. Again, it's just funny how that works. I hope EQ is a stud. 

Your right. On the board here, it is the same thing as last year and I for one, feel even better this year than last because I’ve seen flashes on improvement from EQ and Lazard. We now have another young vet who has had some nice years. Is he a #1, no but he doesn’t need to be, we have one already. Now, would I like to have a guy like Aiyuk, sure but I don’t and never felt it was a must. I think we’ll be good. 

We didn’t miss the Super Bowl Last year because our WR sucked. It was a horrible defensive scheme and lack of a difference maker to compensate for it. THAT still needs to be cleaned up. 

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I hope he has 100 receptions. Trust me, no one will cheer harder for him than I will. 

Lol. That’s a little high. I think 50-60 is reasonable if he stays health and plays the slot. I also think Funches could be the guy with 70-80. Lazard could put another 33-45  All on the low side and if Adams is Adams, we will be good. 

2 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Your right. On the board here, it is the same thing as last year and I for one, feel even better this year than last because I’ve seen flashes on improvement from EQ and Lazard. We now have another young vet who has had some nice years. Is he a #1, no but he doesn’t need to be, we have one already. Now, would I like to have a guy like Aiyuk, sure but I don’t and never felt it was a must. I think we’ll be good. 

We didn’t miss the Super Bowl Last year because our WR sucked. It was a horrible defensive scheme and lack of a difference maker to compensate for it. THAT still needs to be cleaned up. 

True, but we were 0-4 in games last year where we gave up over 25 points. The Niners and Chiefs each won 4 games under those circumstances. Personally, I wanted us to dedicate a top pick towards an explosive WR who could give us another element there. It didn't happen, that's that. We'll have to find other ways to improve our offensive output because sometimes you need to be able to win a shootout too. We'll find out.  

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

True, but we were 0-4 in games last year where we gave up over 25 points. The Niners and Chiefs each won 4 games under those circumstances. Personally, I wanted us to dedicate a top pick towards an explosive WR who could give us another element there. It didn't happen, that's that. We'll have to find other ways to improve our offensive output because sometimes you need to be able to win a shootout too. We'll find out.  

QBs win shootouts, not WRs.

For my money there weren't "non-development" WRs by the time #62 rolled around (even though there were some projects I liked, hell Mims is a project albeit a good one).  So the question was whether you were going to forgo the guy you have graded as a franchise QB for one of: Higgins, Pittman, or Shenault.  Shenault they probably weren't in on because of medical and Higgins is fairly redundant with guys they have.  Most likely you had a much higher grade on the QB than Pittman.