Packers 2020 WR Corps

TheOnlyThing

4 hours ago, Green19 said:

Honestly people don’t agree but clearly the packers think highly of funchess, Lazard, EQ and MVS

I don't think this is true. Gutey came out and told us predraft and postdraft that they were looking for a WR early and the board just didn't fall that way. He knows the group isn't good enough., that's why he's saying things like, "MVS has to take the next step." He just felt staying disciplined was more important than moving to get one, or drafting for need. Plausibly your argument explains why we never got one, i.e. that by the 5th/6th/7th the guys we'd get wouldn't be an improvement so not worth it. 

(EDIT: I'm not defending it. I'm frustrated. I kind of figured we wouldn't go WR round one...but it felt there was a good one to be had at 2/3/4). 

Edited by chillparsi1

I'm ok knowing that with a salary cap, you won't be happy with every position group. No team is. But when you say you want to get stronger at a few position groups, and then don't get stronger at any of them, that's an issue. 

4 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I'm ok knowing that with a salary cap, you won't be happy with every position group. No team is. But when you say you want to get stronger at a few position groups, and then don't get stronger at any of them, that's an issue. 

We went 13-3 so I don’t think we have a ton of spots to get better. ILB is a spot but was filled via FA and Draft. Not improved but filled. This staff will never invest money or picks into the position but it’s serviceable. DL needs a ton of help. There was some DL in free agency but it didn’t seem like Gute was interesting in spending money that he doesn’t have. There’s still Snack Harrison so let’s hold out hope we can add him or another free agent after cuts. In a mediocre class at the position combined with poor draft positioning it was going to be hard to add a guy that’s gonna be an improvement over what we have. they added the dude from Miami in the 7th round who’s got some upside and with some development maybe we’ll get lucky in a few years. Overall the DL isn’t going to be fixed over night or by one or two draft picks. They will just have to build it brick by brick. Kenny and the Smiths are a good start.  All of the WRs Gute wanted we’re gone quickly and he wasn’t going to reach for one in the 1st and by his 2nd pick there wasn’t any WRs left that would be better than who we have already. When you consider that Funchess and EQ will be in the fold this season I think the WR position isn’t as dire as most will say.  That’s effectively two new WRs on the roster. Good enough for me. If Rodgers buys into the system more we could see increased production from all WRs. I thought OL could’ve been addressed instead of picking Degaura in the 3rd round. They ended up getting 3 OL in a row in the 6th. Runyan is a nice versatile piece that’s always nice to have. He he’s starting potential. Hanson is probably going to replace Linsely and I’m not mad about that. He excels in both pass and run blocking. He can be had if a big NT is placed over him but overall he is will be plug and play in 2021. Personally I think QB was improved. I know Love won’t play unless Rodgers gets injured but you’ve bought yourself some insurance while you groom the future of the franchise. You can’t ask for much more from the position. Elite/Great starter with the future right behind him. Safety is fine, CB is fine. OLB is fine with the Smiths. RB is set with the addition of AJ. TE has some young pieces and a vet presence in Lewis. Overall I think Gute and MLF just didn’t see the holes we see and did what they had to do to keep the team competitive while prepping for the future. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chillparsi1 said:

I don't think this is true. Gutey came out and told us predraft and postdraft that they were looking for a WR early and the board just didn't fall that way. He knows the group isn't good enough., that's why he's saying things like, "MVS has to take the next step." He just felt staying disciplined was more important than moving to get one, or drafting for need. Plausibly your argument explains why we never got one, i.e. that by the 5th/6th/7th the guys we'd get wouldn't be an improvement so not worth it. 

(EDIT: I'm not defending it. I'm frustrated. I kind of figured we wouldn't go WR round one...but it felt there was a good one to be had at 2/3/4). 

To a degree I agree , but they DO like their guys. I heard what Gute said too. What he said was outside of the top guys they didn’t feel any of the WRs in the mid rounds would come in and unseed anyone.

To your point... the board didn’t fall the way to pick a WR. If Gute thought his guys were trash he would of MADE the board fall that way. That’s why you trade up or down... to make value match need.

If he thought the world of Higgins or Pittman he would of traded down and picked them at the top of the second ala Nelson.

He valued Love more... why because of the guys on the roster allowed him too. Yeah he wants to upgrade the group but he likes the guys more than the fans do. If it was a black hole of talent as most here feel he would of been aggressive to fill it. He wasn’t.

Edited by Green19

12 hours ago, JBURGE said:

So much gnashing of the teeth over the WR position.

Adams is Adams so WR1 is locked down.

Lazard is a tall guy who showed some promise in 2019.

And there certainly is hope that Funchess can turn into a big, physical WR2 or WR3.

Are some Packer fans not confident that MVS is going to have a 3rd year breakout and thus that GB will have no deep threat at WR?

Do they question whether ESB is ready to show the rest of the NFL what a mistake they made by allowing him to slip to the 6th round two drafts ago?

And, most critically, have they forgotten the Pack's secret weapon who MLF apparently is ready to unleash in 2020?

I seem to recall some fans expressed skepticism about the WR position last offseason as well and how did that turn out?

Edited by TheOnlyThing

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

So which WR are we not drafting in the first round next year?

Fixed.

I said it way early in another thread. Until GB breaks the mold on this we shouldn’t expect none premier positions selected in the first.

32 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Are some Packer fans not confident that MVS is going to have a 3rd year breakout and thus that GB will have no deep threat at WR?

Is there a reason we should be confident that MVS is going to take a step? 

32 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Do they question whether ESB is ready to show the rest of the NFL what a mistake they made by allowing him to slip to the 6th round two drafts ago?

Again, I like ESB a lot, but expectations should be tempered. 

33 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

And, most critically, have they forgotten the Pack's secret weapon who MLF apparently is ready to unleash in 2020?

Pardon?

33 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

I seem to recall some fans expressed skepticism about the WR position last offseason as well and how did that turn out?

Not sure if serious

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

That sure reads a lot like Ja'Marr Chase and some dudes. 

I have no idea, he sure seems super excited. Maybe you're right but I'm thinking there will be some talent available, the ball is just tossed around too often to have no one that's able to catch it.

8 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That sure reads a lot like Ja'Marr Chase and some dudes. 

Both Bama guys are top 50, so is Bateman, Wallace would've pushed for round 1 this year, Olave was better than Mack, Victor or Hill, Moore is a slot only but he's like Gabriel on steroids, St. Brown really broke out with that new QB USC switched too, lot to like from him, Terry is a productive 6'4 dude who can run, sounds a lot like the last WR we draft round 1, Ross is a better player than Higgins, he doesn't list #6 Marshall from LSU, who I think will really become a focal point of that offense without Jefferson, CEH or Moss. Vasher, Collins and Surratt are all big body mid rounder right now who could totally vault like Mims did with a solid season and good workout.

It's a really nice looking class again, I'm telling you you're selling these guys short. You sold the 2020 class short back during the  college season too.