Packers 2020 WR Corps

TheOnlyThing

On 5/20/2020 at 1:13 PM, TheGreatZepp said:

While I was looking up late round wide receiver successes I realized just how solid the 2014 wide receiver class was!

And success fairly closely followed draft position. There is a chance only one of the 12 receivers picked in the first two rounds doesn't end up topping all of them picked on Day 3.

Not to venture too far off topic, but if you want the exact opposite, look at 2006, where draft position was completely irrelevant at receiver. Two of the second rounders failed to combine for 600 yards. Three of the third rounders failed to hit 100 yards combined. All five third rounders combined for roughly 1/4 of the career yardage of seventh rounder Marques Colston. Cory Rodgers was an early fourth-rounder who didn't play a game in the NFL and was still probably only the fifth or sixth worst value pick at the position. Devin Hester was the draft's sixth best receiver. 

14 hours ago, Deps said:

And success fairly closely followed draft position. There is a chance only one of the 12 receivers picked in the first two rounds doesn't end up topping all of them picked on Day 3.

Not to venture too far off topic, but if you want the exact opposite, look at 2006, where draft position was completely irrelevant at receiver. Two of the second rounders failed to combine for 600 yards. Three of the third rounders failed to hit 100 yards combined. All five third rounders combined for roughly 1/4 of the career yardage of seventh rounder Marques Colston. Cory Rodgers was an early fourth-rounder who didn't play a game in the NFL and was still probably only the fifth or sixth worst value pick at the position. Devin Hester was the draft's sixth best receiver. 

The 2006 Class as a whole was a massive bust IMHO. Sure you got guys like MJD, Colston, etc. but it was disappointing to see all those really good USC players either fail or underwhelm(I'm looking at you Reggie Bush!). FWIW, Colston was actually drafted as a TE and was moved to WR. Frankly, he's proof that 50% of the success of prospects is the prospect's talent and the other 50% is where he lands. Highly doubt Colston has the career he had if he landed in...oh....say Tennessee...

9 hours ago, Joe said:

The 2006 Class as a whole was a massive bust IMHO. Sure you got guys like MJD, Colston, etc. but it was disappointing to see all those really good USC players either fail or underwhelm(I'm looking at you Reggie Bush!). FWIW, Colston was actually drafted as a TE and was moved to WR. Frankly, he's proof that 50% of the success of prospects is the prospect's talent and the other 50% is where he lands. Highly doubt Colston has the career he had if he landed in...oh....say Tennessee...

Marques Colston's rookie season will live in infamy among fantasy football players. Good times

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Marques Colston's rookie season will live in infamy among fantasy football players. Good times

I take it you got him as a TE on ESPN's Gridiron Challenge as well...xD

Just saw a Darrell Stewart highlight video. Looks like he's kind of a small Alison type of player in that he finds ways to get open despite some mediocre measurable numbers. What stood out was that he was run on a ton of reverse/sweep type of plays and his vision looks to be pretty damn good. Maybe stash him on the practice squad and give him Ervin's role if Ervin gets injured.

Malik Taylor, another back of the depth chart WR

From Packers Wire

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/05/25/i-want-to-be-a-part-of-this-team-more-than-anything-malik-taylor-looks-to-overcome-obstacles-to-help-packers/

After getting injured, going undrafted, and failing to earn an NFL roster spot as a rookie, you would think that Taylor would be satisfied with making the Packers’ practice squad. But he isn’t. Taylor wants more. The 6-foot-3, 216-pound wide receiver wants to be better than mediocre.

“My main goal is to be a part of this team,” Taylor told Packers Wire. “I want to be a part of this team more than anything. I know this team has what it takes to make it to that last game. When training camp comes around, whenever we go back, I want to do everything I can to make this team.”

usatsi_13128461-e1588781468305.jpg?w=100

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Malik Taylor, another back of the depth chart WR

From Packers Wire

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/05/25/i-want-to-be-a-part-of-this-team-more-than-anything-malik-taylor-looks-to-overcome-obstacles-to-help-packers/

After getting injured, going undrafted, and failing to earn an NFL roster spot as a rookie, you would think that Taylor would be satisfied with making the Packers’ practice squad. But he isn’t. Taylor wants more. The 6-foot-3, 216-pound wide receiver wants to be better than mediocre.

“My main goal is to be a part of this team,” Taylor told Packers Wire. “I want to be a part of this team more than anything. I know this team has what it takes to make it to that last game. When training camp comes around, whenever we go back, I want to do everything I can to make this team.”

usatsi_13128461-e1588781468305.jpg?w=100

says every practice squad player ever...

On paper, Taylor is intriguing for a practice squad holdover. Good size, pretty good athletic numbers, got a year to adjust to the level of competition. Shepherd was better last year, but I think I might give Taylor a better shot at making the team this year.

18 minutes ago, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

Well they have been drafting players to play multiple positions. It would be a way to get him on the field once and awhile since he is athletic enough and a first round pick,

If there's one thing this offense needs, it's a 6'4 WR who ran a 4.74 40 and 7.21 3-cone drill. 

15 hours ago, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

Well they have been drafting players to play multiple positions. It would be a way to get him on the field once and awhile since he is athletic enough and a first round pick,

Just because he wears #10 doesn't mean we're going to ask him to be Kordell Stewart circa 1996....

19 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Stewart looks like a bargain-bin Ty Montgomery. 

yeah, those schemes for him to run the ball left him all sort of room to work with on the field and he just kinda sauntered through a lot of his routes as well. That speed probably won't translate to the league. Still, it's worth giving him a shot seeings how he's got a lot of experience running the kinds of plays in which MLF would be using him.