Packers 2020 WR Corps

TheOnlyThing

19 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Mack lines up wherever he's the biggest threat.

I think there's an OL thread for wagner slander, but I'd say #2 weapon/WR/TE is the biggest concern on the offense.  Wagner messing up will be evident and glaring and result in pressured throwaways, sacks, and turnovers.  Funchess/MVS/EQ doing their best and not being good enough will result in 3rd and longs, random incompletions, and angrily yelling at the TV "why isn't anyone open" or more likely, "Why does Rodgers suck now?"

Its the difference between the subtle absence of quality and the obviousness of a mistake.

Yeah, I think Wagner can at least get us through the year without being a liability. You look at his track record and the one bad year he's had was with Detroit - I think that says enough right there...

26 minutes ago, Joe said:

Yeah, I think Wagner can at least get us through the year without being a liability. You look at his track record and the one bad year he's had was with Detroit - I think that says enough right there...

Concerning Wagner....at the very least, he should be very familiar with the rushers in our division.  Mack/Flowers/Hunter will not be anything new to him.

• 3 weeks later...

This seems like it would be perfect for WR's/RB's/TE's  to use as a practice tool.
They can work on timing, contortion and making the catch without the need to hit the ground each time
Can somebody tweet this to Luke Getsy ? He's always looking for new techniques in passing game

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

This seems like it would be perfect for WR's/RB's/TE's  to use as a practice tool.
They can work on timing, contortion and making the catch without the need to hit the ground each time
Can somebody tweet this to Luke Getsy ? He's always looking for new techniques in passing game

Great idea until someone tears an oblique ;)

from The Athletic and Ben Fennell
after the Raiders game

Explosive production

Marquez Valdes-Scantling is just 23 games into his young career, and he is carving out a role as the big-play receiver in the Packers offense. MVS may not get the volume of targets like other wideouts in the offense, but he makes the most of his opportunities.

He had receptions of 74 and 59 yards last week against the Raiders, adding to his already impressive production of generating big plays:

• 15 catches of 20-plus yards.
  • Nine receptions of 40-plus yards.
  • Three pass-interference calls for 33 yards, 26 yards, 39 yards.
  • One rush for 21 yards.

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

• 15 catches of 20-plus yards.
  • Nine receptions of 40-plus yards.
  • Three pass-interference calls for 33 yards, 26 yards, 39 yards.
  • One rush for 21 yards.

I think the inclusion of the big interference gains is interesting.  

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

It should be included, don't you think?

Also should be noted he dropped 3 long balls last year. I know a Packers jr. Twitter warrior has him down for 1.5 but I counted 3. KC, CHI, NFCCG. All were 6 points. 

Cant say I’m disappointed in MVS and a year 3 jump is probably more likely than the year 2 jump we expected. But he better take a step forward. Rodgers gave him crazy opportunities. We can’t set up play action with the run game and then NOT hit the payoff downfield because MVS needs a body catch. That’s not a starting NFL caliber WR.

Edited by ChaRisMa
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Also should be noted he dropped 3 long balls last year. I know a Packers jr. Twitter warrior has him down for 1.5 but I counted 3. KC, CHI, NFCCG. All were 6 points. 

Cant say I’m disappointed in MVS and a year 3 jump is probably more likely than the year 2 jump we expected. But he better take a step forward. Rodgers gave him crazy opportunities. We can’t set up play action with the run game and then NOT hit the payoff downfield because MVS needs a body catch. That’s not a starting NFL caliber WR.

I think hes going down in the Chi one regardless. Hes got a little thing for losing his legs on the deep ones.

And no doubt.

MVS is about where Nelson and Adams were at this time in their careers. They made the jump, it’ll be interesting to see if he does.

The amount of players we are relying on taking a leap forward is crazy. At almost every position group, including QB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deathstar said:

MVS is about where Nelson and Adams were at this time in their careers. They made the jump, it’ll be interesting to see if he does.

The amount of players we are relying on taking a leap forward is crazy. At almost every position group, including QB.

It’s what every team does. 

And it usually has more upside than signing a vet into a new system they haven’t played before. 

Easy to forget that Jordy didn't have his true breakout year until his fourth season.  It didn't matter because the team didn't need to lean on from him in the early years.  By the end of year three, you could see he was going to be a player.  MVS struggled last season because he wasn't yet ready to be a starter.  It was entirely predictable.  I just hope it didn't ruin him

• Like 1