Packers 2020 WR Corps

TheOnlyThing

3 hours ago, craig said:

Taylor is another of the big, physical guys.  From interview, he seems to be a really nice, sincere guy who fits the MLF culture.  Talking the talk and actually executing are different, of course, but sounds interesting and willing to block and do the little things and pay attention to details.  

Ran 4.46 back at pro day, so he's not a turtle.  Obviously not going to run away from any defenders with that, but relative to his size it's intriguing.  

A 4.46 is plenty fast. Getting away from defenders isn’t just about speed. That’s faster than Davante, Jordy and many others good WRs who ran in the 4.5s

Taylor looks the part from his highlight reel, at least in terms of body control, stride, ability to find and attack the ball with his hands, etc.  Who knows what if anything he'll ever turn into, in this corps he's going to largely be a ST guy this year, but I like what he offers physically.  Good all-around athlete with nice size.

As far as speed, 40 times are overrated in terms of who will run away from people.  For one, those times are coming right after college and guys train their *** off to run their best time; those two things are not going to be true five years later.  For two, there's a difference between guys who run a 4.46 with great acceleration and guys who run 4.46 with great long speed.  One lets you escape a guy right next to you, the other lets you burn a guy deep.  It just depends what you're looking for in a particular play.

4 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Not in love with other, but lazard or MVS better fantasy WR this year?

They are very different players:

Lazard is a higher floor player, who probably will have more receptions.

MVS has a higher ceiling with legit shot play potential (got hurt and had a year 2 confidence loss).

For a late round flyer I’d personally go MVS but I get people going Lazard.  I could see MVS mentally putting it together and having wr 2/3 numbers. I could also see you cutting him week 2. Lazard is kind of just a boring waiver quality WR (probably averages 4 receptions a game this year and 45 yards on 6 targets)

5 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Not in love with other, but lazard or MVS better fantasy WR this year?

Are we talking about drafting one, or just who we think it will be?

because I sure as hell wouldn't draft MVS but he could blow up. Both got taken in my 12 team league, and MVS went before Lazard, then again, someone took AJ ******* Dillon before I took Swift. 

I think gun to my head, they might be close at the end in total points, but I'd say Lazard will be consistent and MVS will have like 4 huge games or some BS like that where 4 he has zero points too

On 9/6/2020 at 2:54 PM, Arthur Penske said:

A 4.46 is plenty fast. Getting away from defenders isn’t just about speed. That’s faster than Davante, Jordy and many others good WRs who ran in the 4.5s

I'm not suggesting there aren't good receivers with 4.46 speed.  I'm just saying that 4.46 isn't going to run away from starting NFL secondary guys.  You'll need something other than speed to get open and be a good WR in the NFL with 4.46 speed.  Jordy, Adams, they had some "extra" skills.  No idea whether Malik does or doesn't; I'm sure hoping yes.   

4 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

They are very different players:

Lazard is a higher floor player, who probably will have more receptions.

MVS has a higher ceiling with legit shot play potential (got hurt and had a year 2 confidence loss).

For a late round flyer I’d personally go MVS but I get people going Lazard.  I could see MVS mentally putting it together and having wr 2/3 numbers. I could also see you cutting him week 2. Lazard is kind of just a boring waiver quality WR (probably averages 4 receptions a game this year and 45 yards on 6 targets)

I basically agree but I’d the “reports” out of training camp on MVS are right he’s not just a one trick pony anymore on the big play. We’ll see how that hurts out I guess

On 9/6/2020 at 11:13 AM, craig said:

Taylor is another of the big, physical guys.  ...Ran 4.46 back at pro day, so he's not a turtle.  Obviously not going to run away from any defenders with that, but relative to his size it's intriguing.  No idea if he's got any quickness or stop-and-go acceleration.  (Sometimes the bigger guys with competitive 40's aren't that quick or elusive.). ...

Gute's was asked about Taylor in his press conference; he referred to him as "explosive". 

May be some scouting hyperbole involved, of course.  But I found that a helpful explanation of Packer perspective in making that choice.  Kumerow, and Allison in past, might have often been referred to as "reliable" or "smart" or "understands what we're trying to do", but "explosive" would have never been used in their discussion.  I still don't think 4.46 straight speed exactly qualifies as "explosive"; but maybe that speaks to quickness and ability to change directions?  

Anyway, hopefully that reflects that he's got the athleticism to be a good NFL player, and that he'll someday emerge as more than a JAG bubble guy.  

A note on him was that weight-wise, he was 2nd to Lazard.  (Not sure those weight-listings are current, though; who knows what EQ weighs now?  I don't...). But height-wise, he lists at only 6'1".  6'1" 220 is kind of stocky for a WR.  That might perhaps be helpful for pad-level in the blocking game, etc..  

I watched a couple of Taylor's highlight videos from Ferris State.  There are guys that are just fast, Malik is not one of those guys.   Even in his highlights, he is getting caught by defenders where a guy like Jordy would have scored.  But he does seem to be able to make his cuts at full speed.  That was 2 years ago, at least.  So he could be stronger and heavier, and faster even.  But just looking at the college clips, he isn't a speed guy.

16 hours ago, craig said:

I'm not suggesting there aren't good receivers with 4.46 speed.  I'm just saying that 4.46 isn't going to run away from starting NFL secondary guys.  You'll need something other than speed to get open and be a good WR in the NFL with 4.46 speed.  Jordy, Adams, they had some "extra" skills.  No idea whether Malik does or doesn't; I'm sure hoping yes.   

4.36 40 is faster than Davante Adams, Antonio Brown, and Michael Thomas - next question?

4 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I watched a couple of Taylor's highlight videos from Ferris State.  There are guys that are just fast, Malik is not one of those guys.   Even in his highlights, he is getting caught by defenders where a guy like Jordy would have scored.  But he does seem to be able to make his cuts at full speed.  That was 2 years ago, at least.  So he could be stronger and heavier, and faster even.  But just looking at the college clips, he isn't a speed guy.

I'd agree, I don't think Malik is particularly fast for an NFL receiver.  That being said, 4.46 at 6'1, 210 is no joke either; that's a pretty big guy moving pretty quickly.  On top of that, the rest of his workout was superb; pro day numbers aren't the most trustworthy, but assuming he had put this workout up at the 2019 combine he would have ranked:

• 1st in the SS
  • 4th in the 3 Cone
  • T-8th in the broad jump

And again, this was at 6'1, 210.  It's hard to say if it all plays for him on the field given there's just not much in the way of film on him yet, but from his FS highlights he's compact in his movements and he changes direction well.  Just need to see it in the NFL.

7 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

He isn’t like burner 4.3 speed, but 4.46 is pretty fast. Jennings, Driver, Cobb, Jones, and Jordy ran 4.46-4.58.

I watched some highlights too. I felt he was plenty fast and mostly made a joke of guys. D2 DBs still run like 4.6s.  Even if you area step and a half faster, you still can get caught based on angles. 

His big issue will be learning route trees. Being D-2 he has such a massive  experience gap

Also not all combine numbers are made equally, as some guys don't train for them, or if they do, their training and/or effort or maybe just their success at it, in that training sucked... and they might not get the bonus jump in their numbers, even if they're a great football player.

While others do great training and make their numbers look better than they actually play on the football field.

I might be wrong, but I almost wonder if it wasn't ESB vs. Kumerow and Taylor vs. Shepherd and Begelton. For all the talk about the preferences for the tall receivers, three of the guys don't fit that mold. While 6-1 isn't short, Taylor's game sounds like it might be based more on agility and body control than size/speed. Given the number of guys like that in camp, perhaps the Packers wanted another receiver in that mold on the roster this year.

• Like 1