Packers 2020 WR Corps

TheOnlyThing

10 hours ago, Beast said:

Barnes completely outplayed Burks in one game... I still can't believe people compared Burks to Patrick Queen... Burks appears to be nothing more than a STer. The 4th Safety is a better LB than him.

Martin and Barnes got me excited for the future of the Packers ILBers. 

Improving talent to help the team.

🤢

OMG.  So who made that comparison? Anyone here, or in the media?  Cuz I've never seen that.

27 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

🤢

OMG.  So who made that comparison? Anyone here, or in the media?  Cuz I've never seen that.

Oh it was here, in fairness to the first person that did it, they were just comparing the athletic potential based on the pure combine numbers alone.

But then some basically suggested Burks and Queen are basically the same because Queen didn't do much in college.

What they fail to realize is LSU is in a run first conference and those speed/coverage LBers they got done break out until the very end of their college careers and then consistently have been having better NFL careers than college careers.

7 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

It was me.  They have the exact same athletic profile.  I also said that Burks needs to learn to football, and to stay healthy;  and that is easier said than done.

At this point it might be more worthwhile for him to brush up on his salesmanship and the trim-level differences in new Volvos

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

At this point it might be more worthwhile for him to brush up on his salesmanship and the trim-level differences in new Volvos

Perhaps.  He is still relatively cheap though.  Is he a liability, or just not very good? If he is just not very good, there is no reason to jettison him early.  When he becomes a liability, cut bait.  At this juncture, he does not seem like a candidate for a second contract.  

Yeah, Burks might be a great 4th ILBer STs while in the rookie contract. But I'm thinking Martin and Barnes might of passed Burks. And that might be bad news for Burks or Summers, unless they carry 5 ILBers like Pettine did his first year here.

But a couple of people made the Burks / Queen comparison, mainly of their athletic ability in shorts maybe? But on defense, very different.

• Like 1

The Barnes in front of Burks was really interesting.  If they liked Barnes so much he was the first guy up after Martin, it's odd that they would have released him in the first place; why expose him to being snagged by the rest of the league if he's your starter that week?  Sure, it seems like in 2020 teams weren't really looking to steal PS guys given the complete lack of film from preseason, but that's still a completely unnecessary risk if you think he's that good.  Why not send Summers to the PS?  

It doesn't seem to be injury related though, or Burks probably isn't playing 18 snaps on ST.  Just wish I could figure out exactly why a guy they cut 6 days earlier got the start over two guys they kept.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrBobGray said:

The Barnes in front of Burks was really interesting.  If they liked Barnes so much he was the first guy up after Martin, it's odd that they would have released him in the first place; why expose him to being snagged by the rest of the league if he's your starter that week?  Sure, it seems like in 2020 teams weren't really looking to steal PS guys given the complete lack of film from preseason, but that's still a completely unnecessary risk if you think he's that good.  Why not send Summers to the PS?  

It doesn't seem to be injury related though, or Burks probably isn't playing 18 snaps on ST.  Just wish I could figure out exactly why a guy they cut 6 days earlier got the start over two guys they kept.

Simple. Martin had to stay on the roster before moving to IR. Once that happened his roster spot went to Barnes.

They could've cut Burks or Summers but they are clearly core special teamers with plenty of NFL tape. Had we cut them there were no guarantees they would pass through waivers unclaimed. These two played the most ST snaps on Sunday.

Barnes has zero NFL tape. It was much less of a risk to cut him.

4 minutes ago, Chili said:

Simple. Martin had to stay on the roster before moving to IR. Once that happened his roster spot went to Barnes.

They could've cut Burks or Summers but they are clearly core special teamers with plenty of NFL tape. Had we cut them there were no guarantees they would pass through waivers unclaimed. These two played the most ST snaps on Sunday.

That's a risky play to make for a guy you want to be your starter.  Not a chance I keep a ST player on roster and risk the guy I expect to take all the defensive snaps, regardless of how core they are to ST.  I understand that it was really likely to work out for the reasons stated previously, still just surprised that they would make that gamble.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chili said:

You make it sound like it directly went to Barnes, when at least what is publicly known, they IRed Martin and waited, while they tried out a OC Britt who would of been on the 53 man roster, like they weren't 100% sure what they were going to do with the spot.

And there was no guarantees Barnes was going to clear the waivers and not all the Packers releases did (WR Turner was claimed by Dallas).

And if Barnes is the better player who's stuck on a 4 year cheaper deal, then it's much more risky to release him than a STer only guy with less than 4 more cheap first contract deal years.

Marquez Valdez-Scantling - 6 targets, 4 catches, 96 yards, 1 TD.

Entire 2020 WR draft class - 67 targets, 40 receptions, 559 yards, 1 TD.

Average rookie - 2.4 targets, 1.4 receptions, 20.7 yards.

The best rookie had 6 targets for 5 receptions and 59 yards (Ceedee Lamb).

2020 leading receivers:

Davante Adams is #1 with 14 receptions, 156 yards, 2 TD.

MVS is 17th in receiving yards.  MVS is in first place in yards per reception.  He's 5th in yards per target. 

23 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Marquez Valdez-Scantling - 6 targets, 4 catches, 96 yards, 1 TD.

Entire 2020 WR draft class - 67 targets, 40 receptions, 559 yards, 1 TD.

Average rookie - 2.4 targets, 1.4 receptions, 20.7 yards.

The best rookie had 6 targets for 5 receptions and 59 yards (Ceedee Lamb).

2020 leading receivers:

Davante Adams is #1 with 14 receptions, 156 yards, 2 TD.

MVS is 17th in receiving yards.  MVS is in first place in yards per reception.  He's 5th in yards per target. 

Before I jump on the MVS has arrived train, I want to see him stack some success. He's had big games before and then he disappears for 2 weeks, whether that's on him or 12. I want to 2-3 games in a row where he looks like a No. 2 (4-6 recs, 40-100 yards). Then we'll have something. 

He has an opportunity this week for another big game, then Week 3 will be the first big test for him because instead of going up against Danzler and Detroit's No. 3-4 (due to injuries), he'll be dealing with Janoris Jenkins or Patrick Robinson, two vets.