Packers 2020 WR Corps

TheOnlyThing

12 hours ago, craig said:

Is there any reason to anticipate EQ returning that quickly?  Just wishing or speculating, I assume, no reason to actually expect that, is there?  

Replace "returning that quickly" with "being a meaningful contributor" and you have my feelings on EQ.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Replace "returning that quickly" with "being a meaningful contributor" and you have my feelings on EQ.

Lazard would've been a total dud in Mac's offense. Dude is not talented enough to win 1-1. LaFleur's offense just basically requires you to adhere to your spacing pre-snap, your stem post snap and getting to your landmark in the route and the scheme opens you up. As well as mirroring your footwork on run plays to the play action game. Really as long as you have the hands to make the catches you'll be fine. Shep and EQ should have no problem being a 2 or 3 in this system now that it's being run in it's true form. 

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Lazard would've been a total dud in Mac's offense. Dude is not talented enough to win 1-1. LaFleur's offense just basically requires you to adhere to your spacing pre-snap, your stem post snap and getting to your landmark in the route and the scheme opens you up. As well as mirroring your footwork on run plays to the play action game. Really as long as you have the hands to make the catches you'll be fine. Shep and EQ should have no problem being a 2 or 3 in this system now that it's being run in it's true form. 

Trust the system? 

I won't be putting him in my FFB lineup or anything, but I would't be at all surprised to see Shepherd have his redemption game this week.

Rodgers on Shepherd...

“You’re seeing just that desire to improve and get better. And then you see it on the field. You see him consistently using those releases, making plays and I’m really proud of him, just sticking with it, getting activated to the roster and I do have a lot of trust in him.”

Does anyone else think it's odd how often Rodgers says he's proud of his teammates?

Edited by Mazrimiv

34 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I won't be putting him in my FFB lineup or anything, but I would't be at all surprised to see Shepherd have his redemption game this week.

Rodgers on Shepherd...

Does anyone else think it's odd how often Rodgers says he's proud of his teammates?

Honestly, I think this was something LaFleur may have talked with him about (and give credit to Rodgers for internalizing it).

He's been incredibly positive this year. None of the barking at teammates, none of the bad body language. We'll see if it holds if the team drops a few games or if the offense sputters or if he gets really tagged a few times, but so far it's been beyond reproach.

• Like 1

He's been in the talk-up-teammates business for years.  It's nothing new or MLF-sourced.  I think that's been in the mindset for "this is what good leaders do" for some time,

Easier these days, I think, when everything's been working. 

As Alex notes, the comments and the body language and the facial expressions may tell a somewhat different story when they're losing; when he's getting sacked; when guys aren't getting open; when guys are dropping balls that cost scores or possessions;  when play calls aren't creating opportunities; when in the heat of the moment he's thinking one thing and targets don't get there at the exact spot and time; and when he's just frustrated with himself because he know's he's misread or misfired.  

I think it's been easier when he's been working with smart guys who love football and want to be good.  Lazard, Shepherd, Kumerow, Tonyan, Deguara, I think those guys are all-in guys and really want to be as good as they can get, and some of them do have pretty good football understanding.  He respects and appreciates those guys.  I think Gute and MLF have done a pretty good job of picking up some guys who are all in, and maybe think like NFL players and practice accordingly.  Not sure some guys like JMon or Spriggs or Janis ever really had that?  (I admit I'm nervous that Jace might not be a real quick study....).  

But yeah, winning is great for attitudes and is a lot more fun than losing.  

• Like 1

Sure hope Adams is sound and back Monday. 

I'd love to have Shepherd have an effective, productive game that helps us win.  But he played like 20+ snaps in New Orleans, almost certainly was not a priority guy for the Saints defense, and he still only got like one target where he wasn't very open and the pass wasn't close.  Maybe the play-calls just had him as 5th option on each of his snaps, and maybe All-22 shows him open on lots of them, but there were so many other opportunities that Aaron just went to other guys, beats me.  But I do admit I'm kind of nervous that however smart and all-in he may be, that he maybe just doesn't have the quickness to actually make it work and to invite actual targets and completions?  

For the team's sake, and as a human-interest story, though, it would be super fun if he competently plaid within the system, and the system schemed him open a number of times, and he made a handful of productive catches.  Having another competent #3 receiver who does no harm would be fun and reassuring.

I know this sounds weird, but I am fine if Adams sits until after the bye week. I want him healthy for the long haul. I think Atlanta can be handled without him. I really don't want this injury lingering all season for Adams. I hope Lazard makes it back for a play off run. I expect Shepherd to play a decent role an a lot of running and TE play.

I think GB fans may be sleeping on ATL a little.  Yes, they are 0-3, but it's a really, really weird 0-3.  They are going to put up plenty of points on the GB defense.  If Adams and Lazard are both out, it may be a challenge to match them score for score.  Of course the same could be said for ATL with Jones and Ridley.  The pre-game inactive report may go a long way in determining how this game plays out.

• Like 1

Agree, Maz.  The parity is such, and games swing so much on one or two big plays, that I wouldn't count on winning this one.  Obviously hard to guess who's going to be playing, and who's going to be playing but playing hurt and at reduced capacity.  Would like to see our defense step it up, somehow, and create more frequent pass pressure.  For all the sacks we got last year, the pressure thus far has seemed pretty rare and limited.  Would like Ryan to not get too much time with his targets.