Packers 2020 WR Corps

TheOnlyThing

On 10/3/2020 at 3:59 PM, Mazrimiv said:

I think GB fans may be sleeping on ATL a little.  Yes, they are 0-3, but it's a really, really weird 0-3.  They are going to put up plenty of points on the GB defense.  If Adams and Lazard are both out, it may be a challenge to match them score for score.  Of course the same could be said for ATL with Jones and Ridley.  The pre-game inactive report may go a long way in determining how this game plays out.

I don't think anyone is sleeping on Atlanta.  They're dead last in opponents PPG.  They'll get their scores offensively, but they're going to give them right back.

Receiver rookies have been taking off a bit in recent weeks. 

Still, in one less game, Lazard is 8 receptions behind the rookie with the most receptions.
100 yards behind the leader in yardage.
Tied with touchdowns.

Assuming health, what we had was as good as what we could have had.

And, the receiver the Packers wanted (Jefferson) is doing better than any other rookie receiver. 

5th rounder Darnell Mooney is currently 5th among rookie receptions and 7th among rookies in yardage.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&year_min=2020&year_max=2020&season_start=1&season_end=1&pos[]=wr&draft_year_min=1936&draft_year_max=2020&draft_pick_in_round=pick_overall&conference=any&draft_pos[]=qb&draft_pos[]=rb&draft_pos[]=wr&draft_pos[]=te&draft_pos[]=e&draft_pos[]=t&draft_pos[]=g&draft_pos[]=c&draft_pos[]=ol&draft_pos[]=dt&draft_pos[]=de&draft_pos[]=dl&draft_pos[]=ilb&draft_pos[]=olb&draft_pos[]=lb&draft_pos[]=cb&draft_pos[]=s&draft_pos[]=db&draft_pos[]=k&draft_pos[]=p&c5val=1.0&order_by=rec

When you look at tight ends, tight ends are still showing they need more time than perhaps any position. 

7/15 rookie tight ends have a reception.
2/15 have more than one reception.
The lead in receptions and yards through 4 weeks is Harrison Bryant with 7 catches for 59 yards.

*Disclaimer: I would have been thrilled with Jefferson/Aiyuk 30th overall.  Just pointing out some perspective that rookie receivers aren't as electric as they seem. 

Second disclaimer: Those rookie receivers are doing a lot better than I thought they would with no preseason. 

19 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think anyone is sleeping on Atlanta.  They're dead last in opponents PPG.  They'll get their scores offensively, but they're going to give them right back.

they played seattle and Dallas though, two of the biggest offenses next to GB.

This is a GB team missing 2 of its top 3 passing targets.  We aren't going to win a shootout.

On 10/4/2020 at 5:42 PM, CWood21 said:

I'm sleeping on them lol... though I'm surprised both offensive didn't do much better...

1 minute ago, dwaye50327 said:

49ers releasing Mohamed Sanu, any chance the Packers take a look at him with the injuries and inexperience the Packers have at WR?

What's wrong with him? Struggled in NE, and SF isn't exactly stacked with receiving options so you have to think something is up

2 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

49ers releasing Mohamed Sanu, any chance the Packers take a look at him with the injuries and inexperience the Packers have at WR?

He hasn’t been any good for several years now as a receiver but he’d fit in well with his blocking ability

Snaps count Taylor (45) ended with more than Shepherd (36) or Ervin (23).  I assume that reflects that Taylor is preferred in the blocking game.  And being in protect-the-lead mode, blocking was a 2nd-half priority.  

Any posters with game film watch at all to see whether Taylor went out on routes much, or if he got open?  

On his important 4th-down catch, he was wide open.  To my Kool-Aid homer fan eyes, it looked like his speed/acceleration after making the catch looked fast.  Seemed like he might have a pretty good motor.  

Assuming there's a month with Adams but not Lazard, I'm kinda guessing that with Adams and MVS as WR's 1 and 2, that WR-3 might be expected to get involved in a lot of blocking.  So I'm guessing there's a chance that Taylor may perhaps get more snaps than Shepherd?  With so many other various targets, I'm not sure WR3 will get any or many, but I'm curious whether Taylor might look OK as a pass-catcher?

Or maybe EQ will emerge onto the roster, and get some snaps as a blocking WR3, who knows.  

Edited by craig

2 hours ago, craig said:

Snaps count Taylor (45) ended with more than Shepherd (36) or Ervin (23).  I assume that reflects that Taylor is preferred in the blocking game.  And being in protect-the-lead mode, blocking was a 2nd-half priority.

Size matters...especially in blocking.

Sooo..... Fulgham, a player we brought in for training camp and cut within a few days just blew up for the Eagles. I'm not sure why we moved on from him so quickly. His highlights showed he had some Funchess to his game and some nice hands. I thought his playing style fitted to LaFleur's scheme. Not only that, after losing Funchess and not drafting a single wide receiver I thought he was a shoo-in to compete for training camp. If I remember correctly we cut him to get under the 80-man roster limit for training camp.

Edited by Chili

35 minutes ago, Chili said:

Sooo..... Fulgham, a player we brought in for training camp and cut within a few days just blew up for the Eagles. I'm not sure why we moved on from him so quickly. His highlights showed he had some Funchess to his game and some nice hands. I thought his playing style fitted to LaFleur's scheme. Not only that, after losing Funchess and not drafting a single wide receiver I thought he was a shoo-in to compete for training camp. If I remember correctly we cut him to get under the 80-man roster limit for training camp.

I just Lol at people still angry we didn’t get a receiver in round one.

We’ve been scoring 30 points a game and are the first team in NFL history to score 100 points with zero turnovers, but gosh darn it we really needed a WR.

We did that with Adams missing 2 games, Lazard missing one...

But gosh darn it, Chase Claypool had 4 touchdowns.  We should have drafted him.

Some guy we cut just had a monster game and he was undrafted, but gosh darn it we should have drafted a WR.

• Like 1