Packers 2020 WR Corps

TheOnlyThing

Packer Report - It’s not that the Packers turned their nose up at the notion of equipping Rodgers, but their board certainly didn’t fall the way many were hoping it would.

According to Peter King’s Football Morning In America column, general manager Brian Gutekunst had a pair of receivers that he was targeting in the early-to-mid portion of the second round.

The Packers reportedly tried to move up with several teams until the second receiver they had preferred came off the board; at that point, trying to navigate around other teams became a moot effort.

Between the end of the first round and No. 62 when the Packers were on the clock, there were seven receivers to come off the board: Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman Jr., Laviska Shenault Jr., KJ Hamler, Chase Claypool, Van Jefferson and Denzel Mims. It’s likely one of the bunch would’ve been selected by the Packers by the end of the night, but rather that, they spent their second-round selection on Boston College running back AJ Dillon; a strong, hard-nosed runner who could very well be the successor at tailback if Aaron Jones’ contract isn’t renewed by next year.

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

Packer Report - It’s not that the Packers turned their nose up at the notion of equipping Rodgers, but their board certainly didn’t fall the way many were hoping it would.

According to Peter King’s Football Morning In America column, general manager Brian Gutekunst had a pair of receivers that he was targeting in the early-to-mid portion of the second round.

The Packers reportedly tried to move up with several teams until the second receiver they had preferred came off the board; at that point, trying to navigate around other teams became a moot effort.

Between the end of the first round and No. 62 when the Packers were on the clock, there were seven receivers to come off the board: Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman Jr., Laviska Shenault Jr., KJ Hamler, Chase Claypool, Van Jefferson and Denzel Mims. It’s likely one of the bunch would’ve been selected by the Packers by the end of the night, but rather that, they spent their second-round selection on Boston College running back AJ Dillon; a strong, hard-nosed runner who could very well be the successor at tailback if Aaron Jones’ contract isn’t renewed by next year.

Gotta be honest. Not sure I would have wanted Claypool, even over Dillon. 

• Like 1

This FO is definitely wanting WRs that can block on the perimeter. A good blocking WR can be the difference between a medium gain and an explosive play. Clearly they are wanting big strong guys out there to maul smaller DBs. I like the strategy. Adams, Lazard, EQ and Kumerow all excellent in that regard. Love a WR that is a willing blocker. No blocky, no rocky.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YaddaHolla said:

This FO is definitely wanting WRs that can block on the perimeter. A good blocking WR can be the difference between a medium gain and an explosive play. Clearly they are wanting big strong guys out there to maul smaller DBs. I like the strategy. Adams, Lazard, EQ and Kumerow all excellent in that regard. Love a WR that is a willing blocker. No blocky, no rocky.

Imagine how different the perception of this draft would be if the following occurred: 

(1) Love at 30

(2) Claypool at 62

(3) Dillon at 94

(4) Degaura at 136

Everything else the same rounds 5-7

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Imagine how different the perception of this draft would be if the following occurred:
(1) Love at 30
(2) Claypool at 62
(3) Dillon at 94
(4) Degaura at 136

There's always a possible "What if" theory. I wanted Shenault (first) then Claypool. Both were drafted ahead of us. The cookie didnt crumble our way.

This is why I would push back on anyone saying that GB is trying to dramatically shift the offense. Now while it's ultimately on the GM to get results and not merely "try" to acquire talent here, the fact that we have tried multiple times to get our guy and it just hasn't worked out is still a sign that GB sees a some sort of deficiency at the WR position. The problem is (and I agree), at this point, GB isn't just looking to add a WR for the hell of it. They are only going to add a guy if he's a clear improvement over the group of No. 3-4 guys we currently have on the roster. 

Edited by packfanfb

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

(1) Love at 30

(2) Claypool at 62

(3) Dillon at 94

(4) Degaura at 136

It would clearly be better, but still failed to get several top needs filled .. no DT and no CB.  Didn't get top prospect at OT.  Truthfully .. it's still wouldn't look like a good draft to me.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:
This is why I would push back on anyone saying that GB is trying to dramatically shift the offense. Now while it's ultimately on the GM to get results and not merely "try" to acquire talent here, the fact that we have tried multiple times to get our guy and it just hasn't worked out is still a sign that GB sees a some sort of deficiency at the WR position.

GB isn't looking to add a WR just for the hell of it - which I agree with. They're only going to add a guy if he's a clear improvement over the group of No. 3-4 guys we currently have on the roster - which I also agree with.

FIFY

20 hours ago, Leader said:

Ben Fennell -   Easy to forget Packers WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling is 6'4 210lbs that runs 4.37 - can be a vertical presence or take a hot throw for 70 yards after the catch! 14 catches of +25 yards in his young career - 2020 a big season for him!

Has also drawn 3 DPIs downfield - 33yds, 26yds, 39yds.

//////////

We're gonna be fine at WR this year folks. Just fine. Plug some more holes elsewhere and bring it on!

The same thing was said last year and we went through a 4 game stretch without Adams where our RB was BY FAR our best and most productive pass catcher.  MVS was passed on the depth chart like he was standing still by a practice squad caliber player on his second team in 2 years.  MVS had 6 catches when Adams went down and 4 more the rest of the season.  Yeah he was missed a couple times but if he wasn't running straight he showed to be pretty useless.  

I  don't have any faith in EQ.  I personally believe he was on his way to getting cut before we were fortunate to have him suffer the ankle sprain which allowed Green Bay to put him on the IR for an injury that would not normally get a contributor put on the IR.  He had a pretty miserable offseason last year where he failed to standout in anyway.

But agin, last year at this time everyone we had Jmon Moore, who was supposedly our savior for the position group.  

1 minute ago, SSG said:

The same thing was said last year and we went through a 4 game stretch without Adams where our RB was BY FAR our best and most productive pass catcher.  MVS was passed on the depth chart like he was standing still by a practice squad caliber player on his second team in 2 years.  MVS had 6 catches when Adams went down and 4 more the rest of the season.  Yeah he was missed a couple times but if he wasn't running straight he showed to be pretty useless.  

I  don't have any faith in EQ.  I personally believe he was on his way to getting cut before we were fortunate to have him suffer the ankle sprain which allowed Green Bay to put him on the IR for an injury that would not normally get a contributor put on the IR.  He had a pretty miserable offseason last year where he failed to standout in anyway.

But agin, last year at this time everyone we had Jmon Moore, who was supposedly our savior for the position group.  

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29d0f699d6a457dfa80e

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, SSG said:

Well my friend.....all I can tell ya......

I'm not a "faith based" kinda guy.....but I hope you get some :)

4 minutes ago, SSG said:

If your argument for why we need another wide receiver is how the offense played without Adams, you need a different argument. 

We scored 30+ points 4 times last year. 3 of those 4 came in the 4 games that Adams didn't play. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

I mean, I've been adamantly anti-drafting-a-receiver-high for awhile. I'm perfectly content to roll with this group, and yes EQ is part of the reason why. He was a 1st-2nd round talent who fell for character reasons that certainly all look to be fine. There's no reason to act like he's a late round flier; if had been able to come out after his Sophomore year he's almost certainly a 2nd round pick. Man is 6'5", 215 lbs and ran 4.48. Didn't drop a single pass in 2018, and made a handful of very nice plays in his small sample size. Why shouldn't I look at him as an expected contributor next season?

Because he was virtually invisible last offseason and was put on the IR for an injury you literally would NEVER put a contribution player on the IR for.  IMO, he was fortunate for the injury because he was on his way to get cut.  It was looking like he was going to get beat out by Shepherd for that last WR roster spot.

He was a 6th round flyer because his work ethic was questioned which would explain why he struggled to stand out last year while damn near every WR we had on the roster was.

I don't care about measurables 3 years into a career.  Measurables are why Jmon Moore was proclaimed to be an. "elite prospect" and posters on this forum couldn't have been anymore wrong about him.  So elite that it took him 3/4 of a season to even make a practice squad.  Funny that that was everyone's savior for this position group last year at this time.   

3 minutes ago, SSG said:

Because he was virtually invisible last offseason and was put on the IR for an injury you literally would NEVER put a contribution player on the IR for.  IMO, he was fortunate for the injury because he was on his way to get cut.  It was looking like he was going to get beat out by Shepherd for that last WR roster spot.

He was a 6th round flyer because his work ethic was questioned which would explain why he struggled to stand out last year while damn near every WR we had on the roster was.

I don't care about measurables 3 years into a career.  Measurables are why Jmon Moore was proclaimed to be an. "elite prospect" and posters on this forum couldn't have been anymore wrong about him.  So elite that it took him 3/4 of a season to even make a practice squad.  Funny that that was everyone's savior for this position group last year at this time.   

I don't think you have anything to base this comment on other than your feelings. There was no evidence he was going to be cut. If anything it provided Davis a roster spot by St. Brown going to IR.