2020 Offense Outlook

incognito_man

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Look up the overall bust rate of 3rd round picks. Look up the bust rate of TEs shorter than 6'3. Look up the bust rate of TEs that run a slower 40 than 4.70.

This pick has bust written on every surface of it.

Here’s an interesting paper I found:

viewcontent.cgi?article=1552&context=sta

They find that size, broad jump, and career yards are the best predictors of NFL career score for tight ends. While I am a fan of the Deguara pick and see his comp more as Charles Clay, this paper isn’t so optimistic given his weight.

10 hours ago, deathstar said:

They find that size, broad jump, and career yards are the best predictors of NFL career score for tight ends. While I am a fan of the Deguara pick and see his comp more as Charles Clay, this paper isn’t so optimistic given his weight.

Is he a tight end though? The kid feels like a 2 contract player if he plays well at all. 

Starting FB

Backup blocking TE

Starting ST on all units.

Thats my prediction. He gives us flexibility. Not a “sexy” pick, but one that has real team value- potentially in year 1. 

3 hours ago, blankman0021 said:

Is he a tight end though? The kid feels like a 2 contract player if he plays well at all. 

Starting FB

Backup blocking TE

Starting ST on all units.

Thats my prediction. He gives us flexibility. Not a “sexy” pick, but one that has real team value- potentially in year 1. 

Just going off of what the GM and coach have said. He’s a move TE. 

I don't see Deguara as a blocking TE at all.

He's a receiving TE who will be asked to do blocking duties at TE and FB. More like a Walker or Cooley, who at their peak they were making at least 60 catches per season. Of course being the main TE on the roster helps alot so the presence of Sternberger may influence the number of targets Deguara will get.

Juszczyk is more of a pure fullback who can help out as a receiver. He would get at least 30 catches a season. I don't see Deguara being like him just quite yet.

I mean, Deguara isn't a great blocker.  He gives great effort, but he's neither punishingly physical nor is he an elite technican.  He very rarely drives his man anywhere, usually more of a wall off guy whose feet stop on impact.  Doesn't always have a great feel for how to find his man on zone plays either, feel like I see him look lost as he heads to the second level more than I'd like.

He looks like what he is: a star high school WR who moved to TE to help his college team.  He's willing to do anything you ask him too, but he needs a lot of work to be a starting TE as a blocker.  Buuuut so did Tonyan, and he's noticeably improved there; he credited Lewis for being huge there, and Deguara now gets a year to work with him as well.  The receiving talent is obvious; not a lot of FB body types that are comfortable split wide like Deguara.  But if he's really going to make this thing work, he needs to really polish his blocking game and know the offense well enough that they could put him anywhere to divine coverages or take advantage of a LB who can't cover.  Basically, you're looking for the bastard lovechild of John Kuhn and Jason WItten.

Edited by MrBobGray

16 hours ago, deathstar said:

Are you kidding me? Broad Jump? How about we wait and see what kind of a football player he is since he will be likely playing FB and TE. I've seen Dequara's highlight film and he has a lot going for him. Let's not forget he is a rookie in a weird year with the virus

and everything.

22 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

I mean, Deguara isn't a great blocker.  He gives great effort, but he's neither punishingly physical nor is he an elite technican.  He very rarely drives his man anywhere, usually more of a wall off guy whose feet stop on impact.  Doesn't always have a great feel for how to find his man on zone plays either, feel like I see him look lost as he heads to the second level more than I'd like.

He looks like what he is: a star high school WR who moved to TE to help his college team.  He's willing to do anything you ask him too, but he needs a lot of work to be a starting TE as a blocker.  Buuuut so did Tonyan, and he's noticeably improved there; he credited Lewis for being huge there, and Deguara now gets a year to work with him as well.  The receiving talent is obvious; not a lot of FB body types that are comfortable split wide like Deguara.  But if he's really going to make this thing work, he needs to really polish his blocking game and know the offense well enough that they could put him anywhere to divine coverages or take advantage of a LB who can't cover.  Basically, you're looking for the bastard lovechild of John Kuhn and Jason WItten.

I disagree with that. That's about the only part of his game that really struck me as exceptional

16 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

Are you kidding me? Broad Jump? How about we wait and see what kind of a football player he is since he will be likely playing FB and TE. I've seen Dequara's highlight film and he has a lot going for him. Let's not forget he is a rookie in a weird year with the virus

and everything.

Why does Broad Jump as a strong indicator surprise you?

Seems like last year Rodgers and WR/the passing game started off strong despite the Online but floundered down the stretch. Seems like Jones and the Oline, especially in pass pro, started off shaky but hit their stride towards the end of the year... 

Combine the two good and we could be special. Combine the two bad and we could struggle.  

Should be interesting. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

Anybody else nervous about Rick Wagner at RT? Mack, Hunter and hell you can even mention Flowers 2x a year. Going to be some interesting game planning. 

I'm already missing one of my all time favorite Packers in Bulaga and the seasons still ~3 months away. 

I'm only nervous because of health.  He's faced Mack and Hunter already, so there will be no surprises from them.  And he practiced against Flowers.

That's what makes me happiest about him, his familiarity with the division.

He won't be Bulaga, that is for sure.  But he should be capable if healthy.

On 6/16/2020 at 9:06 PM, deathstar said:

Trying to read this while working.   I hate reading academic speak.  

By their own admission at beginning of paper position radically changed at tail end of their sample period.  

Makes whatever conclusions they reach kind of suspect as their data is spoiled.    Maybe they address it later.