2020 Offense Outlook

incognito_man

Weaker at OL by not replacing Bulaga with a player of similar calibre but depth might be improved.

Stronger at starting TE but weaker in depth. Before we had Graham and Sternberger. Now we just have Sternberger. After showing next to nothing so far in his career Is Tonyan ready to show he can be a steady contributor?

Blocking TE is the same with Lewis but no backup on the roster.

I'd argue we have upgraded at WR2 with Funchess. He's clearly better than Geronimo Allison. Depth remains the same.

We simply replaced Vitale with Deguara. You would like to think we have improved there considering he's a 3rd round pick.

RB has definitely improved with the addition of Dillion. Our depth is good right now.

QB the same obviously but with vastly improved backup QB.

All in all, It feels like the offence has remained the same but the depth has improved. Losing Bulaga could have a negative impact on our rushing and passing game so here's to hoping Wagner can produce steady play.

I do have one question. If Deguara is going to be such a key cog in our offence that if he goes down we literally don't have anyone to replace him. Hopefully we will find a backup who can do some of the things Deguara is expected to do. Every position has a backup except at fullback and blocking TE. I can't see us pulling Sternberger away from his no.1 TE duties and making him into a makeshift fullback. Someone else will need to step up.

Packers scored 23.6 pts/ game last year in Year 1 of the MLF Offense

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game

If they score an extra 3pts /game, they are a Top 10 offense
If they score an extra 5 pts / game they are a Top 5 offense

It doesn't sound like a lot of points, but its tough being consistent enough to move the needle across 16 games

And here's Warren Sharp's look at the 2019 offense
Packers were poor on explosive passing and 3rd down conversion rate - those seem like a good place to start as we roll into 2020

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/2020-draft-green-bay-packers-coverage/

Packers-2019-Offense-Ranks.png
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chili said:

Weaker at OL by not replacing Bulaga with a player of similar calibre but depth might be improved.

Stronger at starting TE but weaker in depth. Before we had Graham and Sternberger. Now we just have Sternberger. After showing next to nothing so far in his career Is Tonyan ready to show he can be a steady contributor?

Blocking TE is the same with Lewis but no backup on the roster.

I'd argue we have upgraded at WR2 with Funchess. He's clearly better than Geronimo Allison. Depth remains the same.

We simply replaced Vitale with Deguara. You would like to think we have improved there considering he's a 3rd round pick.

RB has definitely improved with the addition of Dillion. Our depth is good right now.

QB the same obviously but with vastly improved backup QB.

All in all, It feels like the offence has remained the same but the depth has improved. Losing Bulaga could have a negative impact on our rushing and passing game so here's to hoping Wagner can produce steady play.

I do have one question. If Deguara is going to be such a key cog in our offence that if he goes down we literally don't have anyone to replace him. Hopefully we will find a backup who can do some of the things Deguara is expected to do. Every position has a backup except at fullback and blocking TE. I can't see us pulling Sternberger away from his no.1 TE duties and making him into a makeshift fullback. Someone else will need to step up.

The major downside is that you go into next years draft still needing DL and OT and possibly CB (King). That's a tall azz order to keep punting on

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Points scored by quarter is kinda wacky

1st and 3rd quarters, GB is 5th and 6th in scoring
2nd and 4th quarters, GB is down at the bottom at 26th and 27th.

The 4th quarter may be impacted by having a lead and bleeding the clock, but Q2 is way low also

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/1st-quarter-points-per-game

I think it was more, coming out of the locker room with a plan, we executed and looked like a well oiled machine.

Then by the time we were supposed to put it in cruise control and take over a game, we hit a traffic jam just about every time.

37 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I think it was more, coming out of the locker room with a plan, we executed and looked like a well oiled machine.

Then by the time we were supposed to put it in cruise control and take over a game, we hit a traffic jam just about every time.

hypothetically speaking -  would having a Big Bruiser at RB help with that effort ?

14 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Tough to say. Just not executing like crap would've helped that effort. Penalties, sacks, bad routes, bad throws. The rhythm stopped after we got off script.

Jordan Love doesn’t need a script.  He is the script.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I think it was more, coming out of the locker room with a plan, we executed and looked like a well oiled machine. Then by the time we were supposed to put it in cruise control and take over a game, we hit a traffic jam just about every time.

Or put another way....and repeating semi-frequent observations made during the season.....we seemed to excel early on when working off scripted plays....not so much thereafter.  The exact reason? Fill in the blank.

19 hours ago, incognito_man said:

If I had to guess right now:

Adams will be WR1, Funchess will be WR2 in snap count

Sternberger will see a huge increase (to ~500), Josiah will see Vitale's share+ (~300) and Lewis will be about the same (~500). We had about 1,500 TE/FB snaps last year. Could see that increase by about 100 on the season (6 snaps per game). Which means Stern at 500, Lewis at 500, Josiah at 300, leaves 300 to everyone else (Tonyan?)

I think some of the comments made by the Packers have me believing that the plan for Deguara is to take more than 300 snaps. The way they’ve drafted when you factor in the entire thing supports that. 

he’s a rookie, so doesn’t deserve the pressure.. but it’s not like he can’t exist on the field at the same time as a Stern or a Lewis. And I don’t think its specifically backfield either. I’d bump those numbers up for Stern and Deguara. 

8 minutes ago, festiveonion said:

I think some of the comments made by the Packers have me believing that the plan for Deguara is to take more than 300 snaps. The way they’ve drafted when you factor in the entire thing supports that. 

he’s a rookie, so doesn’t deserve the pressure.. but it’s not like he can’t exist on the field at the same time as a Stern or a Lewis. And I don’t think its specifically backfield either. I’d bump those numbers up for Stern and Deguara. 

Would love to see Stern and Deguara earn those snaps from Lewis as the season moves on, but still think there's probably not a LOT more than 1,600 TE/FB snaps on the season. If we swap Lewis and Deguara's snaps, that hopefully means some very good things for our offense.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

If we swap Lewis and Deguara's snaps

They are such different sized humans
I'm not sure you can successfully make that swap and put rookie DeGuera up against a vet DE like you can with Lewis
Lewis is lining up on LOS with a hand in the dirt, Deguera is likley on the move

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 9:56 AM, Shanedorf said:

Points scored by quarter is kinda wacky

1st and 3rd quarters, GB is 5th and 6th in scoring
2nd and 4th quarters, GB is down at the bottom at 26th and 27th.

The 4th quarter may be impacted by having a lead and bleeding the clock, but Q2 is way low also

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/1st-quarter-points-per-game

Very curious.  It may be that having no receivers and a bad passing game factors in?  Everybody else is running 2-minute drills in the 2nd and 4th quarters, and ours doesn't work because our receivers aren't very good, Rodgers isn't very accurate, and our passing game isn't very good?