2020 Offense Outlook

incognito_man

13 minutes ago, umphrey said:

I dont see how the offense could improve much unless we get 16 healthy games out of Adam's, Rodgers and Jones with a generally healthy OL. If it does, it will probably be thanks to year 2 of MLF. 

Improvement from the small mob of young skill players taking snaps right now. 

It would be mathematically unlikely for at least one of them not to improve. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Improvement from the small mob of young skill players taking snaps right now. 

It would be mathematically unlikely for at least one of them not to improve. 

True.   It would also be likely that the OL regresses.   Be it RT play, or injury.  They were incredibly healthy last year.

Impossible to say that overall it leads to better, same, or worse.   People can argue all they want, but all 3 are possible, you tell me which is most likely.

20 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

They are such different sized humans
I'm not sure you can successfully make that swap and put rookie DeGuera up against a vet DE like you can with Lewis
Lewis is lining up on LOS with a hand in the dirt, Deguera is likley on the move

yes.  

One way to have your runs work is to put a large human like Lewis against a defender and block the run that way.  

But I think maybe sometimes runs may also work, even if with less forceful blocking, if Jones has more space, because defenses are respecting the pass?  Lewis on the line is kind of a flag for "run", so linebackers and safeties can press the line accordingly.  It's possible that even if Jace and Deguara are much less forceful blockers, and are perhaps distracting defenders by running routes, that Jones doesn't need as much blocking because there aren't as many guys who need to be blocked?  

The old "pass sets up the run" cliche!  

8 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

True.   It would also be likely that the OL regresses.   Be it RT play, or injury.  They were incredibly healthy last year.

Impossible to say that overall it leads to better, same, or worse.   People can argue all they want, but all 3 are possible, you tell me which is most likely.

He didn't ask if the offense was going to improve. He said he didn't see how it was possible. 

22 hours ago, festiveonion said:

I think some of the comments made by the Packers have me believing that the plan for Deguara is to take more than 300 snaps. The way they’ve drafted when you factor in the entire thing supports that. ...

Hard to guess.  There are some factors that support him being more usable as a rookie than most?  As a red-shirt senior, he's played a lot of football.  Being reportedly both smart and instinctive, perhaps he'll be able to pick things up faster than perhaps a more physically gifted guy who is younger, less experienced, and perhaps just not quite as facile mentally?  If some of his usage at Cinci wasn't that different from how the Packers will use him, perhaps that too will reduce the learning curve?  And perhaps if he's a good hands guy, perhaps getting trusted by 12 won't be as challenging as with athletes who are maybe bigger, faster, and stronger but may not have hands that are as trustworthy?  And perhaps if he's this gungho all-out competitive gritster, maybe 12 will more quickly trust his professionalism and "veteranesque-qualities"?

The offense I want to see is frequent runs and short passes to set up occasional shots to Adams/MVS.  Bootleg actions to hit guys like Jace and Funchess on shallow crossers.  Quick, efficient passing game with the deep passes coming almost exclusively off play action and misdirection.

Josiah D (I really have to learn how to spell his name) and Sternberger should both be in the 30 reception range.  60 receptions between them with Jace the larger portion.

Adams should be in the 80-90 reception range.

Funchess and Lazard should split 80 receptions between then.

ESB and MVS should have about 60 between them.

Jones/Dillard/Williams should get the rest.

Rodgers should be around 300-350 completions.  Closer to 300 than 350.  Less attempts, but higher completion percentage.

That’s what this offense is set up for.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

One has to figure that, unless the scheme is fundamentally flawed, even with the same players a given offense is going to do better in year 2 of the offensive scheme than year 1.

Agreed if regression , injuries or age don't get in the way.   I believe the biggest concern is OT.   We have both age and injury to be concerned with, and not a strong backup situation right now.

On the plus side,  the WR position should be stronger.   Not sure which way the TE spot goes, but hard not to improve some.  Possibly do a better job converting 3rd and short with another year in the system and a bigger back.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

One has to figure that a given offense is going to do better in year 2 of the offensive scheme than year 1.

especially with a QB who had an encyclopedic knowledge of the previous offense he spent a decade mastering.
Now he's run it live and seen how defenses react for 18 games of action and has the offseason to review

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The offense I want to see is frequent runs and short passes to set up occasional shots to Adams/MVS.  Bootleg actions to hit guys like Jace and Funchess on shallow crossers.  Quick, efficient passing game with the deep passes coming almost exclusively off play action and misdirection.

Josiah D (I really have to learn how to spell his name) and Sternberger should both be in the 30 reception range.  60 receptions between them with Jace the larger portion.

Adams should be in the 80-90 reception range.

Funchess and Lazard should split 80 receptions between then.

ESB and MVS should have about 60 between them.

Jones/Dillard/Williams should get the rest.

Rodgers should be around 300-350 completions.  Closer to 300 than 350.  Less attempts, but higher completion percentage.

That’s what this offense is set up for.

A healthy Adams will and should easily go over 100 receptions. 

• Like 1