2020 Offense Outlook

incognito_man

3 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I hope A.Jones has a ridiculously huge year (if there’s a season) and we can maybe get a 1st or 2nd for him.

He's a free agent in 2021. 

You trading him at the deadline if he has a monster year and the Packers are competing for the #1 seed?

Hell no.

And if you franchise tag him, you may as well give him a 3 year contract. No one is giving up a 1st or a 2nd for a RB.

Edited by FAH1223
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

He's a free agent in 2021. 

You trading him at the deadline if he has a monster year and the Packers are competing for the #1 seed?

Hell no.

And if you franchise tag him, you may as well give him a 3 year contract. No one is giving up a 1st or a 2nd for a RB.

Wasn’t he drafted in the spring 2018 draft, or did I miss a year and he came out in 2017?  Nevermind, I just checked - he came out in 2017.  Nix my comment about trading Jones.

Edited by Sasquatch

6 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I hope A.Jones has a ridiculously huge year (if there’s a season) and we can maybe get a 1st or 2nd for him.

GB would not have much leverage for that w/ Jones being a FA in the offseason. If you believe your team could entice Jones to sign an extension after a trade, you probably believe your team could entice him to sign with you in free agency without first trading for him. 

Just now, TransientTexan said:

GB would not have much leverage for that w/ Jones being a FA in the offseason. If you believe your team could entice Jones to sign an extension after a trade, you probably believe your team could entice him to sign with you in free agency without first trading for him. 

Yeah, it was pointed out to me that Jones is entering into his 4th year, and I seriously thought this was only his third season.  I need to go back and try and remember why I lost one of his years in my mind.  I remember he was injured for damn near one full season, and then last year he lit it up, but I don’t remember what happened the other season. 

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

Yeah, it was pointed out to me that Jones is entering into his 4th year, and I seriously thought this was only his third season.  I need to go back and try and remember why I lost one of his years in my mind.  I remember he was injured for damn near one full season, and then last year he lit it up, but I don’t remember what happened the other season. 

He was injured his rookie year. he did pretty well his 2nd year, but started slow due to his suspension & I think some training camp injuries. Had to be eased into the rotation and didn't hit the 5th gear until after the bye.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

He was injured his rookie year. he did pretty well his 2nd year, but started slow due to his suspension & I think some training camp injuries. Had to be eased into the rotation and didn't hit the 5th gear until after the bye.

It’s all coming back now.  Can’t believe I nearly forgot about his second season, lol.

4 hours ago, incognito_man said:
Player Pos Num Pct

Geronimo Allison WR 638 59.18%
Jimmy Graham TE 622 57.70%
Trevor Davis WR 21 1.95%
Darrius Shepherd WR  53 4.92%
Danny Vitale FB 170 15.77%
Marquez Valdes-Scantling
WR 542 50.28%

Marcedes Lewis TE 487 45.18%
Allen Lazard WR 479 44.43%
Jamaal Williams RB 373 34.60%
Jake Kumerow WR 328 30.43%
Robert Tonyan TE 193 17.90%

Alex Light T 151 14.01%
Lucas Patrick C 137 12.71%
Lane Taylor G 114 10.58%
Jace Sternberger TE 60 5.57%

Thanks, Incog, this was really helpful.  

Yeah, that was a lot of snaps for Allison, Graham, and Vitale.  

Combined, those WR-TE-FB in red were >1500 snaps 
Kumerow-Tonyan >500
Lewis-MVS >1000

That is a LOT of off-the-roster snaps; and other discretionary snaps; that could be allocated very differently this season.  

How those snaps will be distributed; whether those snaps will be more effective; and whether Rodgers will target many throws to guys who get those snaps will significantly impact how the offense produces.   Possible of course that different names will get 2000 snaps, without getting more targets or completions or actual production than Graham, Allison, Vitale, Kumerow, and Tonyan gave us....

I'm also curious what might happen with Dillon, and whether he'll get snaps.  If so, might he largely pick up a lot of Williams' 373 snaps?  Or will Williams get as many as before?  Will he pick up a lot of the H-back snaps, Vitale and Jace had 230 snaps between them...

10 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Adams/Lazard/Funchess then EQ/MVS battle it out for the 4th. I think Josiah is going to get a lot more snaps than people expect. Not sure when Dillon starts getting more snaps than Williams, but I think it's going to happen eventually this year.

DIllon will take a healthy chunk of William's carries, but agreed it will take a little bit to phase him into pass-pro

Realistically, for this offence to improve then we probably need the young guys to make a jump. We've given up on Dexter now so that means Lazard, MVS and EQ in all reality. One of these three probably needs to kick in. Either that or Funchess takes off.

On the flip side, we were very healthy last year. Rodgers, Adams, Bakh, Linsley are all a year older. They are all more likely to get injured and there is  the chance of regression. Its all very well saying a healthy Adams, but he has been in the league a long time now and has had multiple injuries so you can't bank on that. We have lost Bulaga and Graham may be a bigger loss than expected. 

Realistically, there's a pretty high chance the offence regresses (possibly quite badly) in 20 unless we get extremely lucky. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, incognito_man said:

DIllon will take a healthy chunk of William's carries, but agreed it will take a little bit to phase him into pass-pro

No more so than it would any rookie IMO. I dont think Dillon's pass pro is a weakness - but - thats about as quick a take as possible and based off his performance at the college level. I think he's got the physicality and mentality to be aggressive at it. Putting it another way.....from the starter's gun I think him worlds above wherever Dexter's head was at and ahead of where AJ used to be.

It's gonna take a TC and PS to get that dialed in however......not givens at this juncture.