Wasted Resources on WR

Melbourne 9er

It seems to me that ShanaLynch have wasted a lot of resources trying to get their preferred receivers since they have been here. Since 2017 they paid big money for Garcon, extended Goodwin at an inflated cost and got a 3 month rental from Sanders.

We traded a 2018 4th to pick up Taylor with a 2017 5th

We used a 2nd and 3rd to move up for Pettis 2018.

We used a 2nd and a 3rd to pick up Samuel and Hurd last year.

We used a 3rd and 4th this year for the Sanders rental.

We then used a 1st, 4th and 5th to pick up Aiyuk this year.

Therefore in the last 3 years we have used a 1st, 2 2nds, 3 3rds, 3 4ths and a 5th to have Taylor, Pettis, Samuel, Hurd and Aiyuk on the roster. That's 10 draft picks within the first 5 rounds, including 6 on the 1st 2 days in 3 years.

So far Samuel looks good, we don't know about Aiyuk and the jury's out on the rest. In the future should we just look for a vet, through trade or FA, or keep trying through the draft?

5 minutes ago, Melbourne 9er said:

Therefore in the last 3 years we have used a 1st, 2 2nds, 3 3rds, 3 4ths and a 5th to have Taylor, Pettis, Samuel, Hurd and Aiyuk on the roster. That's 10 draft picks within the first 5 rounds, including 6 on the 1st 2 days in 3 years.

So far Samuel looks good, we don't know about Aiyuk and the jury's out on the rest. In the future should we just look for a vet, through trade or FA, or keep trying through the draft?

Is what it is, and I like Aiyuk (though not enough to take rd 1).. but I'm still a bit sad that we didn't try? to get OBJ3. 

I know people roll eyes, and think he's some problem child, but adding him would have drastically increased our chances of a SB ring in this window we're in. Maybe we get there anyway, maybe not. I don't currently feel that we are a stronger team than we were.. though I would have had we added a proven WR1. (with, say that #31 overall + the added 4th or not should have been sufficient)

• Like 1

We have indeed used a lot of resources on WRs, but I rather spend draft picks than pay for FA WRs. Doing trades like we did for Sanders is perfectly fine with me. The real issue isn't taking as many WRs we have taken, it is all the unnecessary trade ups Shanahan does when he wants his offensive guy. He really can't help himself at all and is very impatient. Hopefully he learns from this and improves going forward. 

• Like 4

I for one still get annoyed to think we gave up two picks to rent Sanders for half a season. A 3rd OR a 4th I can understand...but BOTH?!  Sure, he helped us get to the SB, but we got fleeced in this deal.

And I believe Ford had more impact than Sanders did and cost us only one pick. A 2nd, yes, but only one pick.

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I for one still get annoyed to think we gave up two picks to rent Sanders for half a season. A 3rd OR a 4th I can understand...but BOTH?!  Sure, he helped us get to the SB, but we got fleeced in this deal.

And I believe Ford had more impact than Sanders did and cost us only one pick. A 2nd, yes, but only one pick.

That 2nd had more value than the 3rd and 4th combined though, so the point that Sanders cost two picks instead of one isn't relevant. What if we got him for two sevenths? That is still more picks than one 2nd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

We only flipped a 4 / 5, to be fair. We dropped 19 spots. 

I thought the deal was 110% worth it

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Don’t know how this still gets debated. Literally a play away from winning a Super Bowl. It stings but we just about pushed All the right buttons to get us to the show.

will forever sting but I loved last year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

That is true...and then we let go of all 3 5th rounders only to get another with the trade of Breida. This staff loves to wheel and deal. 

I just don't like rental players. Frustrating. Have to see if that is exactly what Trent is too.

3 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

We got back a 5th from Denver in the Sanders trade

The 5th we used to trade for Trent Williams 

The Sanders trade was 100% worth it. He helped turn deebo into the player he is today. 

Was it expensive for a rental? You bet. Doesn't mean it wasn't worth every penny. 

Part of the reason we have had to spend so many resources on WRs is because we haven't really hit on one. All of the players mentioned in the OP haven't paned out (except deebo) or they haven't lasted more than a few seasons. 

Wes welker was a great player. I watched his 'football life' on nfln recently and the guy is extremely technical at the position. They spent a long time talking to both Tom Brady and Peyton manning and both guys said they learned about the nuisances of WR from welker. He's a very young WR coach but I do believe he is eventually going to get this group playing well

Aiyuk is the true test in my eyes. He definitely needs refinement. If welker can't get him to perform relatively quickly, it will continue to show faults with how we identify and develop WRs

• Like 5

I agree we have put a ton of resources into wr and have yet to fully reap the benefit. But really if we look at those guys talent was never the main issue. Consistency and health has been the the main problem. Taylor has shown flashes of being a nice slot wr for a 5th rd pick...but had major set back with his foot last yr. Pettis the one we love to hate...lol again showed flashes that the he has some talent but consistency and the fight to be great hasn't been there. Deebo is a dawg. Hurd again the theme of my post is showed flashes of the talent we need but injuries got in the way. So even though taken all together doesn't look great for Kyle wr resume. I think a deeper dive says the eye for talent is there...just needs a little bit of luck that they can all stay healthy and finally get on the field to show their talent. 

Pettis looks like the biggest miss of all. The blame starts and ends with Kyle and John cuz they took him. But as much as we think teams can do a deep dive into these prospects in 4 to 5 months...they don't really get to know them until they're around them everyday. Yes talent is one part but that mental part of the NFL grind is another. No one saw the mental cliff Pettis fell off of last yr coming. The way he ended 2018 said he was ready for the next step up...even if it were a small step forward. Some guys just don't have the mental make-up for the NFL...even if the talent is there. That's why when we get guys like Kittle or Mostert that we see have talent but put in the mental work to be great we love them so much more as fans. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, N4L said:

We got back a 5th from Denver in the Sanders trade

The 5th we used to trade for Trent Williams 

The Sanders trade was 100% worth it. He helped turn deebo into the player he is today.

There's also the 16 million/2 year contract (up to 19 million with incentive) he signed with the Saints, which should be worth in the 5th round range as a comp pick next year, and may even net the team a 4th rounder. As far as I know, at this point the 49ers should actually be getting a comp pick for Sanders, given that all of their UFA signings this offseason have been either internal, or non-CFA players (i.e. guys who aren't good enough to matter in the comp. pick formula) like Hyder on presumably near-minimum deals.

The Sanders trade was brilliant, especially given what the Patriots had to give up to get Sanu like a day later.

Edited by Ronnie's Pinky

12 minutes ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

The Sanders trade was brilliant, especially given what the Patriots had to give up to get Sanu like a day later.

They traded for Sanu before we traded for Sanders. That's one of the reasons we went to Sanders. We were trying for Sanu first.

Also, just for edification, because of the ten year thing, the very best we can do for Manny (and for Trent I'm pretty sure if he leaves next year) is a fifth rounder I'm pretty sure

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 10:59 AM, Forge said:

They traded for Sanu before we traded for Sanders. That's one of the reasons we went to Sanders. We were trying for Sanu first.

Also, just for edification, because of the ten year thing, the very best we can do for Manny (and for Trent I'm pretty sure if he leaves next year) is a fifth rounder I'm pretty sure

Well I think @Ronnie's Pinkys overall point was correct, we will get a comp pick for Sanders. 

2020 3rd, 2020 4th for sanders, 2020 5th and 2021 5th is a pretty solid deal overall... Especially considering how well we draft in the 5th! 

4 minutes ago, N4L said:

Well I think @Ronnie's Pinkys overall point was correct, we will get a comp pick for Sanders. 

2020 3rd, 2020 4th for sanders, 2020 5th and 2021 5th is a pretty solid deal overall... Especially considering how well we draft in the 5th! 

Wasn't fighting the point, just correcting some of the misinformation and possibly educating with regards to comp pick consideration. And not everyone knows the vested 10 year vet comp pick rule . 

But I've already broken down the trade in another thread and I'd agree that it was 100% worth it. 

We got (at worst): 

• Rental Manny Sanders
  • 1 year of Trent Williams 
  • Likely 2021 5th round pick (Sanders comp)
  • Possible 2022 5th round pick (Williams comp)

We gave up: 

• 2020 3rd
  • 2020 4th
  • 2021 3rd

I think that's a great maneuvering. 

• Like 2