Jarrett Stidham

Elky

3 hours ago, rfournier103 said:

back to the point I was trying to make at the beginning - unless Stidham is REALLY bad, it's going to take more than just this upcoming season to really know what we have in him. It's going to be very fun and interesting to watch!

I don't know if Stidham is even better than Brian Hoyer. At this point, none of us do. Hoyer has to be considered better, albeit not the prospect Stidham is for the future.

Why would Hoyer have to be considered better?

Tom Brady was great there is no argument there, but the scheme, which includes the reads that Brady and the receivers made to make the offense work, is still in New England. If Stidham is as smart and hard working as people say he is he will be fine on that part. It comes down to how he handles the situation and the pressure that comes with it. 

1 hour ago, jofos said:

It comes down to how he handles the situation and the pressure that comes with it. 

I think it will be rocky, but ultimately I have faith in him to do fine overall if healthy for a full season.

The problem however right now is that Stidham has yet to do anything in the NFL regular season.

I'm a lot more excited for Stidham than I would be for Hoyer, or theoretically Andy Dalton. If Stidham can't hack it, it just means we lose one season and are positioned to draft someone high next year. With a more veteran option, the team runs the risk of going 9-7 or 8-8 and being in QB purgatory for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

The facts we have are that BB values him higher than any other QBs drafted this year not named Burrow, Herbert and Tua. He passed on Love, Hurts and the rest. He even traded back to pick a combine monster over a potential franchise QB. That tells me something about what he thinks of Stidham

Also a fact is that Stidham would have been valued higher were it not for the appalling cast around him in his final season at Auburn. Drop-central. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

The facts we have are that BB values him higher than any other QBs drafted this year not named Burrow, Herbert and Tua. He passed on Love, Hurts and the rest. He even traded back to pick a combine monster over a potential franchise QB. That tells me something about what he thinks of Stidham

Also a fact is that Stidham would have been valued higher were it not for the appalling cast around him in his final season at Auburn. Drop-central. 

Yeah, that seems like a smokescreen until proven otherwise. 

5 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

What do you mean?

I mean the stuff about BB thinking Stidham is somehow a better player (or at least was a better prospect) than all but the handful of highest-graded QBs of the last two drafts. Every time I hear something like that, I roll my eyes because if it were true they would've drafted him way higher than the 133rd overall pick last year.

They picked three guys who played 2 games between them with the picks directly ahead of Stidham last year. That doesn't scream "we think this guy is a top-tier prospect".

Edited by Starless

9 minutes ago, Starless said:

I mean the stuff about BB thinking Stidham is somehow a better player (or at least was a better prospect) than all but the handful of highest-graded QBs of the last two drafts. Every time I hear something like that, I roll my eyes because if it were true they would've drafted him way higher than the 133rd overall pick last year.

They picked three guys who played 2 games between them with the picks directly ahead of Stidham last year. That doesn't scream "we think this guy is a top-tier prospect".

I think it's completely true. If BB thought Love would have given us a significantly better chance of winning he would have drafted him. BB is a coach that has usually always had not just QB1 sorted, but QB2 sorted as well - he knows the value more than most. I believe he trusts their process of getting value from QBs further down the draft - again, we have proof. 

Stidham has accuracy and decision making, along with Josh Mc's ability to develop QBs, a year learning the system, Hoyer mentoring - he thinks Stidham is the guy. If he didn't, Stidham would be gone, or we'd have someone in by now.

(I'm not saying I believe he's the man...)

Stidham could literally be the next Aaron Rodgers. It doesn't mean Belichick actually believed any of the stuff he's saying about him now during the pre-draft process. Part of his job is managing player morale and a big part of that is signaling to players that you have confidence in them when they're about to take on a much bigger role than they've been performing. Stidham is about to try to fill the shoes of the greatest player in the history of his sport. He, by any means possible, needs to be made to feel like he can do it. 

Edited by Starless

17 minutes ago, Starless said:

Stidham could literally be the next Aaron Rodgers. It doesn't mean Belichick actually believed any of the stuff he's saying about him now during the pre-draft process. Part of his job is managing player morale and a big part of that is signaling to players that you have confidence in them when they're about to take on a much bigger role than they've been performing. Stidham is about to try to fill the shoes of the greatest player in the history of his sport. He, by any means possible, needs to be made to feel like he can do it. 

Belichick is also a businessman that does what he feels is best for the organization; if he deep down does not believe Stidham is the man he will make a move.

• Like 1

Roll with Stidham, if he’s garbage you get a new franchise QB in the draft. I don’t want to bring in guys like Cam or Dalton like the media’s keep pushing. Our ceiling with those guys is 8-8 or 9-7 at best

• Like 1