Jarrett Stidham

Elky

2 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

As a UK fan with virtually no access to college football, this is a serious question, is the hype around Lawrence justified? If the season is a disaster, and they end up the 1st overall pick, would picking Lawrence be a no-brainer? All we get over here are hype headlines.

check out some Clemson games on YT. They're available. First thing you notice is how run-happy he is, and how OK he is with being tackled.

I smell overhype, but I bet if you asked this in Gen everyone would say he's the best prospect since Manning or something. ET (an excellent poster) has given HIM the nod to overtake Brady one day (not Mahomes).

5 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

As a UK fan with virtually no access to college football, this is a serious question, is the hype around Lawrence justified? If the season is a disaster, and they end up the 1st overall pick, would picking Lawrence be a no-brainer? All we get over here are hype headlines.

Lawrence is a good QB. Most of the hype is based off of the National Championship game against Alabama. However, based on that game the player I would prefer the Patriots to get would be Justyn Ross.

Lawrence will be off the board long before the Patriots draft. His most likely destination will be Redskins, Bears, or Lions.

Edited by jofos

I think Stidham will be fine. There is a very small sample (basically none) to judge from real games but in the preseason games for the most part he made good decisions. I think that he will with very simple reads and as he progresses they will add to what he does. I look for the Patriots offense to be better than last year.

I think the key to the Patriots offense is RB. If Michel can't become more effective in the passing game then his time with the Patriots is running out quickly. Defenses since the Super Bowl have not worried about a pass much when he his on the field. With that said Stidham lead the nation in passing efficiency as a sophomore. 

8 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

I like everything about Stidham enough except for his processing speed and decision making. Huge development curve there.

Most analysts seem to disagree with you. The most reliable ones I've heard from say the biggest question mark is his ability to fit throws into tight windows. Decision-making is a strength. 

6 hours ago, jofos said:

I think the key to the Patriots offense is RB. If Michel can't become more effective in the passing game then his time with the Patriots is running out quickly. 

I'd like to see him with a few more games working with Andrews/Wynn and a healthy OL. If he still looks like he's wading through syrup, then he can gtho. 

18 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

check out some Clemson games on YT. They're available. First thing you notice is how run-happy he is, and how OK he is with being tackled.

I smell overhype, but I bet if you asked this in Gen everyone would say he's the best prospect since Manning or something. ET (an excellent poster) has given HIM the nod to overtake Brady one day (not Mahomes).

People will you please stop with the Lawrence talk.    I will tell you exactly what will happen is we have the 1st pick in the draft. Godell  " Welcome to the NFL draft, NE is now on the clock. Oh Wait we have a trade!!!!!! Mel Kipers freaking out the place is going crazy. The trade ( Jimy G trade shocker) is in, Pats, get two 2nd picks one in 2022.

Pats fan  WWWWWWWWWHHHHHHAAAATTTTTTTTT  THE  HECCCKKKKKKKKKK !!!

Follow up   With 2nd round pick they got in the trade, Pats take from Bunkerhill Community college QB Spesh Teamson, dual skilled QB. That started as a special teamer and worked his way up. xDxDxDo.O

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, m haynes said:

People will you please stop with the Lawrence talk.    I will tell you exactly what will happen is we have the 1st pick in the draft. Godell  " Welcome to the NFL draft, NE is now on the clock. Oh Wait we have a trade!!!!!! Mel Kipers freaking out the place is going crazy. The trade ( Jimy G trade shocker) is in, Pats, get two 2nd picks one in 2022.

Pats fan  WWWWWWWWWHHHHHHAAAATTTTTTTTT  THE  HECCCKKKKKKKKKK !!!

Follow up   With 2nd round pick they got in the trade, Pats take from Bunkerhill Community college QB Spesh Teamson, dual skilled QB. That started as a special teamer and worked his way up. xDxDxDo.O

Haha

If we had the number 1 pick, don't rule out us taking a 6'0 pass rusher from Valdosta State Raiders DIV II who tested well, has lined up all over the line AND the secondary, and was a 4 year team captain (also kicked extra points and speaks Portuguese). Patriot.

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I'd like to see him with a few more games working with Andrews/Wynn and a healthy OL. If he still looks like he's wading through syrup, then he can gtho. 

I think behind a healthy O-line he is okay as a runner but his lack of involvement in the passing game is the issue. If he is on the field it is almost certain that it is a running play. This could be because he sucks in the passing game, Tom didn't trust him, or Tom didn't trust him because he sucked in the passing game.

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

I will tell you exactly what will happen is we have the 1st pick in the draft. Godell  " 

I think it would be more like that Goodell would say that the Patriots forfeited the pick for taping some one inflate balls.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 8:51 AM, ChazStandard said:

Lawrence is a legitimate prospect. He makes the two hardest NFL throws look routine; the 15-20 yard out, and the go up the seam. Don't think I've seen a college QB anticipate as well as he does in a long time. He carries all the intangibles and tools to deserve the hype. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 7:42 AM, jofos said:

I think behind a healthy O-line he is okay as a runner but his lack of involvement in the passing game is the issue. If he is on the field it is almost certain that it is a running play. This could be because he sucks in the passing game, Tom didn't trust him, or Tom didn't trust him because he sucked in the passing game.

I think it would be more like that Goodell would say that the Patriots forfeited the pick for taping some one inflate balls.

Somehow, I feel like Brady hindered his ability to develop in the passing game. Either he suffered mental lapses/concentration issues or Brady simply missed him on a simple flat out. What frustrates me is his inability to create for himself; that was his MO in college. The knee concerns were certainly real, as he has seemingly regressed physically since coming into the league. I agree he can still be decent behind a good offensive line. But when you consider the position, draft slot, and the player he looks like he's turning out to be, the pick is starting to reek of diminishing returns. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

Somehow, I feel like Brady hindered his ability to develop in the passing game. Either he suffered mental lapses/concentration issues or Brady simply missed him on a simple flat out. What frustrates me is his inability to create for himself; that was his MO in college. The knee concerns were certainly real, as he has seemingly regressed physically since coming into the league. I agree he can still be decent behind a good offensive line. But when you consider the position, draft slot, and the player he looks like he's turning out to be, the pick is starting to reek of diminishing returns. 

I call it " slap hands "  He hasn't showed the ability to catch it softly. He needs to go back to basics. The drill we were taught as a youngsters.  You know thumb to thumb, whatever its called O.o

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 3:11 AM, Starless said:

Most analysts seem to disagree with you. The most reliable ones I've heard from say the biggest question mark is his ability to fit throws into tight windows. Decision-making is a strength. 

I see a pattern of "good! good! bad!" with Stidham. And the bad is where the learning curve is steepest. The bad I have seen is usually a pass that is quick, forced, and looks almost like an incomplete read or just a misguided attempt to do it all in one throw. Call it hero ball, a rash decision, a blind throw, poor instincts, an inability to adjust to the game the defense is playing, or just a flat out lack of top end talent. I hope Stidham doesn't turn out to be the next Tim Tebow for Josh McDaniels. Although if he does fail, then hopefully that means McDaniels isn't getting any promotions anytime soon.

Edited by DoleINGout

39 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I see a pattern of "good! good! bad!" with Stidham. And the bad is where the learning curve is steepest. The bad I have seen is usually a pass that is quick, forced, and looks almost like an incomplete read or just a misguided attempt to do it all in one throw. Call it hero ball, a rash decision, a blind throw, poor instincts, an inability to adjust to the game the defense is playing, or just a flat out lack of top end talent. I hope Stidham doesn't turn out to be the next Tim Tebow for Josh McDaniels. Although if he does fail, then hopefully that means McDaniels isn't getting any promotions anytime soon.

Sounds about right for a rookie (he kinda still is) QB. They're usually some form of good/good/bad. The ball he air-mailed which was pick 6'd was absolutely putrid.