Which team is the best fit for Cam Newton?

DigInBoys

10 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Who has a the best OL out of the QB needy teams - that would be my pick.

It's not the Pats. Possibly Skins or Bears.

Skins make no sense. Haskins exists and isn't bad.

Bears already have two guys duking it out for the job.

At the moment, only starting positions i could see up for competition are NE & JAX. PIT could be a good option as a backup/safety net to Ben. 

Otherwise, he'll probably wait until a teams starter goes down for the year in TC/early in the season.

I think Patriots or Cowboys would be a decent bet at this point. Before the Saints signed Winston I thought they might be a dark horse candidate also. That would have been the ultimate F U to the Panthers from Peyton.

Cam could do well in NE. They've got a great defense and Cam is great at moving the chains. Would be a quick way to stay competitive for NE.

2 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

At the moment, only starting positions i could see up for competition are NE & JAX. PIT could be a good option as a backup/safety net to Ben. 

Otherwise, he'll probably wait until a teams starter goes down for the year in TC/early in the season.

Cam would never end up in Pittsburgh.  

They wouldn't try to sign him even if they had the cap space.  

5 hours ago, $andtrap said:

Can't compare Newton to Tebow; Newton isn't the greatest passer in the world, but he's Tom Brady compared to Tebow.

The only team where he can win a starting job and start week one is Jacksonville. Other than that he'll have to settle for an open backup role (Detroit maybe?).

I'm not literally comparing Newton to Tebow, but from the perspective of New England, signing Cam would be like Tim Tebow all over again.  

Why? Because neither of them are what Bill Belichick is looking for in the long term.  

And, I have to disagree that he would be starting in Jacksonville if he were to be signed there.  

Granted, Cam was hurt last year, but Minshew had a good enough season to actually start for them.  

Denver is the best fit for Cam without a doubt.  They have the free cap space if they wanted to do a 1-2 year deal with him, and they have no real insurance policy at the position.  

Cam should be a backup... why risk head injuries? Everyone in the AFC East is going to be gunning for him sensing blood. He doesn't fit the BB mold anyhow. I think the Cowboys (but they won't pay him) or Ravens make a lot of sense. Raiders although I don't see the fit with Gruden. Steelers is another option but I doubt they need another Diva there after AB. Maybe just retire. Otherwise you go to football purgatory like Jacksonville or LAC or somewhere terrible.  

10 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Jacksonville or Denver would need him most, especially Denver.  

For Jacksonville, Gardner Minshew had a solid season and didn't even play 16 games, so we'll see how he ends up this season.  He definitely did well enough to have another go at the starting job, and if he gets injured, they have Josh Dobbs (who isn't terrible).  

I would like to see Minshew be their permanent guy for the next 10+ years, but it's just too early to tell. 

Denver has absolutely no insurance policy right now.  

Drew Lock is very unproven and they have nobody to back him up.  Of course, the problem is Elway, but he's like the pope in Colorado, so you can't tell Denver that.  

If I were Denver, I would be making every offer I could to get Cam Newton there. 

They need him more than Newton needs them.  

The last thing Denver want is a media circus the first time Lock has a bad game.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Jacksonville or Denver would need him most, especially Denver.  

For Jacksonville, Gardner Minshew had a solid season and didn't even play 16 games, so we'll see how he ends up this season.  He definitely did well enough to have another go at the starting job, and if he gets injured, they have Josh Dobbs (who isn't terrible).  

I would like to see Minshew be their permanent guy for the next 10+ years, but it's just too early to tell. 

Denver has absolutely no insurance policy right now.  

Drew Lock is very unproven and they have nobody to back him up.  Of course, the problem is Elway, but he's like the pope in Colorado, so you can't tell Denver that.  

If I were Denver, I would be making every offer I could to get Cam Newton there. 

They need him more than Newton needs them.  

Nah, the worst thing you can do for your young QB looking to take the next step is put a veteran who is a legit capable starter behind him on the bench and have him looking over his shoulder every second. Give Lock the keys, surround him with talent and let him play it out in the most comfortable situation for him.

Plus, the brought in Jeff Driskel to be his backup who shares a similar play style but poses no threat for the starting job.

How about this for a twist. 

Dak refuses to sign his tender (like he should), the Cowboys pull it, sign Cam short term for $20-$25M and Dak is left playing Musical chairs?

Tell me if the NFL world knew Cam was actually healthy Jerry hasn't discussed that very option? Honestly believe its Dallas's only leverage.

31 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

How about this for a twist. 

Dak refuses to sign his tender (like he should), the Cowboys pull it, sign Cam short term for $20-$25M and Dak is left playing Musical chairs?

Tell me if the NFL world knew Cam was actually healthy Jerry hasn't discussed that very option? Honestly believe its Dallas's only leverage.

Cam can look over at Jameis and see what his price tag will be. 5 Million on a 1 year deal

If I'm Jerry, I sign Cam to that to "backup" and I pull the tag on Dak and lower my offer. 30 Million per over 5 years

Let Dak shop himself around and find a better deal. He can also finally start factoring in that the Dallas Cowboys QB job nets him about 10 Million per year in endorsements that he won't be getting in Jacksonville. No state tax in Texas also nets him advantages he wouldn't see in other places.

Dak remains unsigned or walks, Play Cam this year, Roll that unused Cap into next year and draft a replacement (or maybe Cam balls out and just resign him)

^^Cam will never ever play for that type of money in 2020. You get into the 10-15 range most backups make, Foles, Fitz, ect possibly. 

He'll take the year off IMO , use the excuse, I'm getting my body back right to 100%, his pride wont let him do that. Not happening. 

11 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

^^Cam will never ever play for that type of money in 2020. You get into the 10-15 range most backups make, Foles, Fitz, ect possibly. 

He'll take the year off IMO , use the excuse, I'm getting my body back right to 100%, his pride wont let him do that. Not happening. 

Sounds a lot like what Dez did when he didn't take the Ravens offer.... How'd that work out?

Another year and Cam will be forgotten. His best odds are to latch on with a good team, hope he gets on the field (somehow) and puts together some good tape he can hit the market with next offseason. He needs to make himself Tannehill 2.0

Edited by TheGame316