State Of The Roster

Bianconero

Facts.

Unlike previous qbs we had, I sense there is a real belief that Darnold is a total stud in the NFL. 

I cant remember a qb put in that bad of a situation and still play well overall. 

I've always had a Andrew Luck vibe with him in regards to him being a total package at qb. 

Being put in God awful situations and still making plsys as young as he was is really good. 

Sucks though that his rookie contract we had such a bad team around him.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Facts.

Unlike previous qbs we had, I sense there is a real belief that Darnold is a total stud in the NFL. 

I cant remember a qb put in that bad of a situation and still play well overall. 

I've always had a Andrew Luck vibe with him in regards to him being a total package at qb. 

Being put in God awful situations and still making plsys as young as he was is really good. 

Sucks though that his rookie contract we had such a bad team around him.

I don't think  any of us on this board believes at this point of time Darnold is a total stud. We all hope he is going to be one. we have so much invested in him.

I'm terrible at posting stuff from my phone but pff has Sam at 6th of 30 qualifying QB in completion % when not pressured last year.  They didn't take into account things like drops, throw aways, etc.

This is what I was trying to preach this offseason about protecting Sam.  The kid is clearly good enough to elevate his weapons when given time.  I really hope the OL can take major strides because I think that will lead to Sam doing the same.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rockice_8 said:

I'm terrible at posting stuff from my phone but pff has Sam at 6th of 30 qualifying QB in completion % when not pressured last year.  They didn't take into account things like drops, throw aways, etc.

This is what I was trying to preach this offseason about protecting Sam.  The kid is clearly good enough to elevate his weapons when given time.  I really hope the OL can take major strides because I think that will lead to Sam doing the same.

I don't think anyone was or is saying not to protect Sam. I think that's what we all wanted. The issue (to piggy back of of that) is he needs playmakers to throw to once given that time. It shouldn't be... ok we gave him an OL... ok now produce with average talent.

24 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I don't think anyone was or is saying not to protect Sam. I think that's what we all wanted. The issue (to piggy back of of that) is he needs playmakers to throw to once given that time. It shouldn't be... ok we gave him an OL... ok now produce with average talent.

And nobody was saying given him an OL and then draft defense.

The point was always that he was good enough to produce and elevate his WR when given time as proven by the statistics.  That was why it was imperative to use as many resources on the OL as possible and if he had to throw to vyncent smith you live with that for now as long as he had time to throw behind a good OL

Even average WRs can get open with good design and an extra second for the QB to hold the ball that's why getting the OL up to speed was by far the highest priority.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

I’m bullish on Sam for this reason. When he’s protected, he’s looked good and built good chemistry with a bunch guys. Herndon, Robby, Crowder, D Thomas. He even made Terrell Pryor look component for a handful of games.

How good do you feel about the OL being at least average?

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Exactly.. You literally couldn't evaluate Sam last year because of how bad the offensive line was. It's a lot easier for him to overcome weapons than it is protection. 

3 hours ago, SDotNova said:

I’m bullish on Sam for this reason. When he’s protected, he’s looked good and built good chemistry with a bunch guys. Herndon, Robby, Crowder, D Thomas. He even made Terrell Pryor look component for a handful of games.

How good do you feel about the OL being at least average?

It's shaky still overall.  Better at pass blocking not so much run blocking.  I like Becton to be at least an average pass block in year 1 and get batter with time.  Should be a really good run blocking year 1 though.  I like GVR as the best pass blocking guard on the roster to win one of the guard spots.  He'll be a solid pass blocker there without much push in the run game.  McGovern at C is above average.

It's really the other guard and RT spots that worry me.  OG is either Winters or Lewis neither inspire any hope really.  My guess is Lewis wins it and Clark takes over after week 10 when Lewis inevitably gets hurt.  I actually have high hopes for Clark but not year 1.  Fant is another major question mark.  My hope is that he can be average but I'm not holding my breath.

Overall they are still bottom half of the league overall but will be inproved from last year's dumpster fire, not saying much.

I expect similar struggles in the run game and communication issues early on.  McGovern alone should help clean up the communication issues and if Fant steps up it could be around league average.  Still think we need more help.  

Warford at RG would make me feel better by having only one question mark on the line but it's not looking like we are the ones to sign him.

Fingers crossed because I really think if they can be average Sam will take that next step we are all hoping to see.

13 hours ago, doumeyer said:

I don't think  any of us on this board believes at this point of time Darnold is a total stud. We all hope he is going to be one. we have so much invested in him.

I believe he is. I think if you put him on a better team you'd see much better numbers. 

• Like 1