State Of The Roster

Bianconero

Gonna have to see these guys produce on offense before I make season predictions for us. Way too many unknowns. I could see us winning the division or see us going 6-10. It’s a matter if things click or not.

I know in an odd season it will be an uphill battle. Can’t expect Herndon to pick up where he left off over a year ago. Perriman and Mims have no relationship with Darnold. And we have nearly a whole new OL.

A lot of new pieces. And it’s a rough off season to expect it to just click. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SDotNova said:

Do y’all see Douglas adding any veteran players at this point? Before the draft, I thought corner, WR and edge could be areas. He added Quincy Wilson and a couple of DBs through the draft. So we are set there. With the other two areas, I think he’ll continue to be opportunistic.

I really like what he has done to the roster in just one year. Gregg Williams and Adam Gase must be pumped. Boyer apparently jumped on a table screaming for Mann. Joe even made the special teams coach happy.

Could be taken a different way without any reference 😂

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

I'd like to see JD purge the roster some more at the deadline with guys who aren't long term answers.  I love his juggling of the mid rounders so if we can add a few extra picks in the 3rd-6th rounds for him to play with that would be a good thing.

I feel guys like Bell, Winters, Williamson, Jenkins, Maye, Anderson, etc probably aren't long term answers here so getting mid rounders for them would be ideal.

We'll have to see how the season is going because if we are in it and these guys are playing well we likely aren't going to move them.

It's exciting to have such a smart GM in place because we've need one for the longest time.  What he was able to do in one offseason is quite spectacular honestly.  We had literally one of the least talented rosters in the entire NFL and now we have a squad with pretty solid depth and no glaring holes.  Definitely need upgrades at positions but when we can get to the point where we can draft these mid rounders and let them develop behind another player and not have to count on a 3rd rounder to be a starter it nice.  That's what good teams do and feel like we are heading in that direction.

100% this. That is the way to completely rebuild a program. We are still not a contending team but at least it would be nice to see this team maybe even outperform expectations and make some noise and at least be in the hunt. The ideal scenario is to go into 2021 with a comfortable amount of cap room as well as a few more mid round draft picks to round out the roster with young athletic leaders. That is how you change the culture. Not by talking about it, but bringing in the guys who don’t have to talk about they just do it everyday by example. 

• Like 1

I think the only question is where do we go from here in terms of the rest of the 2020 off-season?

Do we still want to sign Clowney? Do we see if we can get Judon for the cheap?

Like others have said, we now have a much greater sense of what Joe D is trying to build - what are our options in terms of making the 2020 Jets better?

10 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

I think the only question is where do we go from here in terms of the rest of the 2020 off-season?

Do we still want to sign Clowney? Do we see if we can get Judon for the cheap?

Like others have said, we now have a much greater sense of what Joe D is trying to build - what are our options in terms of making the 2020 Jets better?

Yeah Clowney is the one for me now. Sign him and the defense could be elite. I hope I don’t regret saying this but I think I our CB’s will really surprise us all. Can’t believe we somehow added Hall in the 5th and Jackson as a UDFA. Both could be steals. Throw in the ascendance of Bless Austin/Nate Hairston and the trade for Quincy Wilson and there’s so much young talented outside corners that through competition alone should make the strong shine. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Yeah Clowney is the one for me now. Sign him and the defense could be elite. I hope I don’t regret saying this but I think I our CB’s will really surprise us all. Can’t believe we somehow added Hall in the 5th and Jackson as a UDFA. Both could be steals. Throw in the ascendance of Bless Austin/Nate Hairston and the trade for Quincy Wilson and there’s so much young talented outside corners that through competition alone should make the strong shine. 

We have enough money to cover Clowney on a 1 year deal if we cut Winters and post-Trumaine, I believe

9 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

We have enough money to cover Clowney on a 1 year deal if we cut Winters and post-Trumaine, I believe

Yeah I think that would be the ideal situation. Second would probs be Everson Griffin and then third Vinny Curry. I suppose there is the possibility of trading for Judon although I wouldn’t like that much unless it was for cheap draft capital (which it won’t be!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xenajets said:

Gonna be one hell of a camp battle to see who wins the start job.  Gut says probably Desir gets one spot but that's not a given with the talent we have.  Poole has the slot obviously but who wins outside is anyone's guess.  Bless played solid but Wilson and Hall both are extremely talented.  I think Hairston slides inside as the backup to Poole.

Going to be fun to watch that unit battle it out.

• Like 2

I just saw this in NFL General's "Too Early 2020 Season Prediction Thread" and lol'd at this Darnold comment

AFC East:

Buffalo Bills 11-5

New England Patriots 10-6

Miami Dolphins 6-10

New York Jets 4-12

Don't screw this up Bills. IMO Bills have the Top Defense in the NFL. Although it's damn hard to trust Josh Allen. It's a make of break year for that guy. Even with the QB situation, I cannot fathom Bill missing the playoffs. I think they will get Jake Fromm or Jake Luton today in the draft and that will be their starter over Stidham. As for the Jets, still suffering from the Darnold trade. I just see holes all over that roster.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

I just saw this in NFL General's "Too Early 2020 Season Prediction Thread" and lol'd at this Darnold comment

AFC East:

Buffalo Bills 11-5

New England Patriots 10-6

Miami Dolphins 6-10

New York Jets 4-12

Don't screw this up Bills. IMO Bills have the Top Defense in the NFL. Although it's damn hard to trust Josh Allen. It's a make of break year for that guy. Even with the QB situation, I cannot fathom Bill missing the playoffs. I think they will get Jake Fromm or Jake Luton today in the draft and that will be their starter over Stidham. As for the Jets, still suffering from the Darnold trade. I just see holes all over that roster.

I think e have the fewest holes right now than we have had in a while...... and seriously 10-6 for the pats?  Our roster is better than theirs.