State Of The Roster

Bianconero

2 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Apparently Clowney wants to play for a big market, ny??

If that’s the case, we have a shot. Not many big market teams have cap space left. And those that do, probably don’t need him. We actually make sense for him. It’s the only starting spot that is open. Gregg will utilize him to the best of his abilities.

The Giants would have made sense also but they applied a tender on Golden.

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 1

When you consider that Douglas took over only weeks after Macc's draft last year he had do deal with all of Macc's picks & Macc's roster, he was dealt a bad hand. So far he has the Jets going in the right direction. Don't be surprised if when team starting cutting good players because of cap problems he doesn't pick a valuable player, I don't think he is done is this offseason. To tell you the truth I was nervous when he passed on Mims on the 48 pick he took a beg gamble and won. I feels real good to have a REAL GM

• Like 1

Okay here we are basically one week removed from the draft.

Some beat writers are critical of the Jets not tabbing more than one WR in a class of WR's that was historically deep.

Okay, I will not argue the point, its is valid.

But to say, that they could have gone in other directions, picked this player or that player etc. is just plain stupid.

Then they attack JD on his first draft,"well we won't know what this draft will look like a few years from now".

It all depends on if this guy is is a bust or that guy is a bust. Then they bring up the past failures of former GM's....REALLY?

Now a new twist, Adam Gase has no excuses this year! EXCUSE ME?

Did these so called experts even read their own columns?

HEADLINE: The Jets draft filled a number of holes on the roster. HOLES....meaning they were woefully needed to be filled.

OT/WR/S/CB/QB/DE and they still need to hit home runs next year at positions of need.

Forget that Gase had the worse OL in football, forget that they couldn't open up a hole for Bell.

Forget that they lost their top TE for the year, and QE with a neck injury.

That the backup QB's averaged 3 points a game while Darnald and his backup missed more games than I can remember.

That the Defense under our new DC played miraculously, otherwise who knows how bad we could have been.

But now Darnold has to take a leap. A leap, one year actually less than one year under Gase.

Now Darnold has to become Brady, he has to take the Jets to the promised land, there are no excuses.

Thats the new mantra, "Gase and Darnold have no excuses".

Now that the draft is over, the Jets filled holes, expect those players to come in start immediately and transform the worse offense in football into a powerhouse.

If the Jets have a good year 8-8, if they have a better than expected year 10-6, if they hit on all cylinders 11-5 considering the current roster.

But darn, give me a break, it took Belacheat almost 15 years to become the coach he was and had the NFL's best QB in history to do it with.

What say you?

I think this franchise has had a bolt of quality obviously but most important character. For too long we’ve either been weak minded or out worked. Adding multiple captains and high integrity players should help this. 

There’s still multiple areas of need to improve but we’ve added competition almost everywhere. I’d love to add a pass rusher like Clowney or Griffin as I still feel we need someone for the defense to plan for. Jenkins/Zuniga/Basham just don’t do that at the min. 

I still feel we will go as far as Sam can take us. If he has time to make his throws he could take us to the playoffs but if he regresses we could easily be the doormat in the division again. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 9:32 AM, Bobby816 said:

Once again I don’t agree with this.

Why bc he’s not our QB? So we can sit here and say Darnold can and will get better each year. But Allen can’t? That’s nonsense. The Bills have clearly seen the weakness has been weapons and they it a few more pieces to help out Allen. To assume he won’t be better... is pretty crazy to me.

I say this from watching him play.  His accuracy is horrible, especially on deeper routes.  He beat people with his running ability, which I believe DCs will scheme better moving forward and force him become a pocket passer.  The Bills did not win because Allen lit it up throwing the ball.  The won with a great D and good running game (which included Allen).   Think of the those teams with Rex and Sanchez.  Sanchez did not progress.  If Allen does not progress, Bills can only go as far as their D carries them.  And they don't have the 2000 Ravens elite D.

Have you watched Allen as an NFL player much?  I think if you have, you agree that weapons won't improve his accuracy or footwork.  It is the same knock on him coming out of college and I personally have not seen an improvement in that area of his first two years.  

On 4/28/2020 at 9:51 AM, Bobby816 said:

I don't see a 7 game gap either. And I'm not at all saying Allen is a great QB. But to think they're not ahead of us IMO is being a homer.

What I'd like to add as well... is that this offseason will be very weird. That established teams will have a clear advantage when it comes time to play games. Meaning the teams with the least amount of moving pieces from last year that had success, I expect to be good. The teams that improved but without alot of new players I expect to struggle for a bit. This is even more true if its a team under a new system on offense and even on defense. We fall in the middle of this. We have the same system on both sides of the ball and our QB is under the system for another year. But we have a lot of moving pieces on offense. We have 4 new starting OLineman and 2 new starting WRs. Add that Herndon missed all of last season... to expect us to hit the ground running is very optimistic.

I never said they were or were not ahead of us.  I simply said that all teh teams that projection had in front of us have major areas of weakness or holes - take a look back at my post.  I pointed out each teams weakness .. which I believe Allen is for Buffalo because 1) he is horribly inaccurate and 2) I believe DCs will limit his running in the future.  I also said if Gase proves to be the offensive guru he is believed to be  we could challenge for the division.  Don't think that is being a homer.  With Brady out of the division and NE not having a proven QB on their roster, Dolphins still unproven with a lot of rookies as well as the previously mentioned Bills stuff .... I think that is realistic.  I don't think anyone will run away with the division.  

Sorry if this has been said on the prior pages of this topic, but taking a look at our current depth chart here are a couple of spots I would somehow like to address before the season:

• WR--I like the trio of Crowder, Mims, Perriman but both short and long term (Perriman on one year deal), I think we need to add another proven body that could grow with Sam. Obviously, it's slim pickings on the waiver wire, but I'd look to seeing if Douglas can work his magic again in the trade market. I know Curtis Samuel has been floated around, but here are some other options who may be made available with their recent FA and Draft moves:
    • Dante Pettis, San Francisco 49ers
    • Kenny Stills, Houston Texans
    • Daesean Hamilton, Denver Broncos
    • Curtis Samuel, Carolina Panthers
  • RB--This one will be easy. I think we should only carry 3 this year and they should be Bell, Perine and Powell. So I think we should resign Powell.
  • EDGE--I'd like us to bring in one more veteran to the group. Golden or Curry works. 
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I was going to continue to update the state of the roster as we add players. Unfortunately it was merged.

Ya I messed it up. Someone made a whole new thread about peoples opinions of the roster and I tried merging it to the JD thread and that got messed up (I accidentally merged the wrong one). So I merged this one with those being they were similar. Feel free to start a new thread if you want more about what you orginally had.

1 hour ago, JetsFan15 said:

I never said they were or were not ahead of us.  I simply said that all teh teams that projection had in front of us have major areas of weakness or holes - take a look back at my post.  I pointed out each teams weakness .. which I believe Allen is for Buffalo because 1) he is horribly inaccurate and 2) I believe DCs will limit his running in the future.  I also said if Gase proves to be the offensive guru he is believed to be  we could challenge for the division.  Don't think that is being a homer.  With Brady out of the division and NE not having a proven QB on their roster, Dolphins still unproven with a lot of rookies as well as the previously mentioned Bills stuff .... I think that is realistic.  I don't think anyone will run away with the division.  

Correct. Allen is a good athlete and can run, but his throwing ability is awful. He should have thrown 4-5 INTs vs us week 1 last season when they opened the season trying to have Allen attack our weak secondary. He was awful. Then when they realized Allen sucks and lets have Allen just play not to lose us a game because our defense is elite and we can run the ball, they were better. They were winning games with Allen completing 45-52% of his passes. Basically Sanchez like except Allen can run. 

Diggs is gonna get frustrated, he went from a accurate QB in Cousins to a horribly inaccurate QB. 

The Bills got a good overall team, their defense is nice and their run game is good and they have good WRs. Their coaches did a good job adjusting to Allen's bad throwing ability. If they let him throw like week 1 he would have lead the league in INTS. 

Darnold is a far better QB on a far worse team. If Darnold didn't have that Patriots debacle his stats were much better.  He was hovering around 68% completions for a lot of games. When you watch Darnold he was better when they moved the pocket allowing him to not have guys up on him. Which makes sense why we are getting a more athletic OL. 

A lot of the times I saw Darnold throwing with guys constantly in his face or hitting him, he never had a run game to lean on either. 

The big thing I am hoping for is that Bell finds success this season running the ball with  a improved OL. If we can run the ball better it will help Sam out a lot, hes yet to have a run game. Our weapons still are mediocre. Unless Mims comes out and is a star or really good right away.  We need Herndon and Griffin to stay healthy.  And hopefully Perriman can keep up his play from last year. 

1 hour ago, JetsFan15 said:

I'm not saying there's a big gap. Never did. My point was that a lot are bashing Allen. And I don't think Allen is good. But I think its being biased to bash him when Darnold isn't exactly good either. So I see you and some others bashing him as to why they might not be as good. But choose to see the optimistic side of why Darnold might be good. Which IMO is a biased opinion. Allens footwork can't be fixed? His accuracy numbers cant increase? Of course they can. Just like Darnold can improve. Thats all I was saying.

Am I the only one with cautiously high hopes for Vincynt Smith?  Super athletic,  really good once the ball is in his hands, didn't have top notch coaching until recently.   I'm not going to bet money on him, but any good team needs to develop some of these guys at every position, not everyone can be a 1st rounder. 

Edited by rampantjet
  • Like 1