2021 NCAA/Draft Prospect Thread

Kiltman

49ers’ inability to land free agent QB may influence draft decision

(5:00 PM ET) If the Niners end up taking Mac Jones over Trey Lance, which is the way it looks as of right now, it’s because of what they could not accomplish during the offseason. The team really wanted to sign a veteran quarterback and went hard after Andy Dalton as well as Joe Flacco.

The game plan was then to trade Jimmy Garoppolo, likely to the Patriots, draft Lance, and let him sit for most of the season. The inability to sign Dalton or Flacco put them in a bind and now makes taking a quarterback who’s more NFL-ready a priority.

lol.... if the niners allow not getting Dalton or Flacco influence who they pick

24 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Let's just say we did go Kwity in round 1.
Who do we target in the 2nd?
Elijah Moore? Jevon Holland?  Melifonwu? Stokes? Jamin Davis? OL? Friermuth? Davis Mills or Mond? Another DL? Trade up for TM jr or Bateman or Zaven or Moehrig?

I think if they are okay with Marshall's medicals and he's on the board he's the pick at 37. Bateman might be there too, but I think they would favor Marshall.

What is the Dolphins’ plan at 6 overall?

(3:20 PM ET) There’s a lot of intrigue surrounding both the picks the Dolphins hold at 6 and 18 overall. As mentioned last week during The Draft Insiders podcast, the player they like is Kyle Pitts. But unless the Falcons move that pick — and it doesn’t look like they will be able to make a trade at present time — Pitts will be gone. After speaking with people, what I can tell you about the Miami Dolphins at six is this — the team is seemingly moving away from DeVonta Smith and towards either Penei Sewell or Smith’s Alabama teammate, Jaylen Waddle.

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

As far as adding to their pass rush bag? Sure

Maybe I'm an idiot, maybe I don't know what I'm looking at but I've watched Paye on film and it's not impressive. It seems like Hutchinson was taking a lot of attention away from him and it also seems like his TFLs/sacks are a product of free rushers or the carrier running into him. 

Just now, Scalamania said:

They should be freaking out. We have arguably the worst WR in the NFL and we probably need 2 guys there. 

I still have faith in Reagor being a really good receiver.

Think Fulgham could probably be a good WR4. Don't want him starting.

Greg Ward needs to be upgraded on. I don't care if he's our WR5 or WR6 as the back-up slot, but I don't want him starting.

So, yeah we have to upgrade at X and in the slot with hopefully guys who can rack up YAC which will be important in Nick's offense.

I think we can get by with what we have at DE. Receiver is a lot bleaker. So is corner where we don't have anything besides Slay really. Not a big Maddox guy.

6 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I still have faith in Reagor being a really good receiver.

Think Fulgham could probably be a good WR4. Don't want him starting.

Greg Ward needs to be upgraded on. I don't care if he's our WR5 or WR6 as the back-up slot, but I don't want him starting.

So, yeah we have to upgrade at X and in the slot with hopefully guys who can rack up YAC which will be important in Nick's offense.

I think we can get by with what we have at DE. Receiver is a lot bleaker. So is corner where we don't have anything besides Slay really. Not a big Maddox guy.

I think we'll disagree on Reagor and that's fine. 

Agree on Ward - I would love to get Elijah Moore as our slot guy. I think he'd do really well here. 

Agree on Maddox (I don't think he should even be on an NFL roster) - I think CB might be the biggest need. 

2 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Maybe I'm an idiot, maybe I don't know what I'm looking at but I've watched Paye on film and it's not impressive. It seems like Hutchinson was taking a lot of attention away from him and it also seems like his TFLs/sacks are a product of free rushers or the carrier running into him. 

That's fine. I'll agree to disagree. He's already dominant as a run defender. He racks up pressures. I still think obviously he needs to add to his pass rush with counters/moves, but he has the athleticism and from reports he's extremely coachable, great character/leadership. I do think he could end up being like a souped-up Brandon Graham for us. 

I know Brandon Graham was seen as a bust early in his career with the slow start and injury, but look at how his career has turned out for us. Obviously he never hit the sack numbers you would like for a top 15 pick, but if you look back at that draft. Is he a top 15 player? I'd probably say so with his longevity and consistency. Paye could probably be the same with a bit more upside. Won't shock me at all if we look back in 10 years and Paye is one of the top 15 or so players from this class.

51 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Elijah Moore? Jevon Holland?  Melifonwu? Stokes? Jamin Davis? OL? Friermuth? Davis Mills or Mond? Another DL? Trade up for TM jr or Bateman or Zaven or Moehrig?

BPA DB. A bunch of corners that are in that 25-45 range. Some safeties too.
If a WR drops great, but I'm cool waiting til #70 the way the board looks.

Bateman or Zaven I'd be cool with moving up a bit for. 
In general the way the talent is in this draft move up if you can get more impact guys. Walking away with 4 or more top 70 guys would be nice.

1 minute ago, Scalamania said:

I think we'll disagree on Reagor and that's fine. 

That's fine. I'm not giving up on a guy I had above Justin Jefferson, Michael Pittman, Denzel Mims, Chase Claypool, Henry Ruggs, etc. A guy that had no rookie OTAs or minicamps, a shortened training camp where he missed a chunk of it cause of an injury.  just cause we had the worst QB play in the league, a coach that didn't utilize Reagor well. A guy that got hurt again during his rookie season which caused him to miss like a third of the season and didn't get back his conditioning/game speed back till at least over halfway through the season. He had his share of rookie mistakes and rounded off routes at times, but I trust our new staff to get the best out of him. People are being way too hard on the kid cause of Jefferson which is ridiculous since JJ was in a great situation with a very accurate QB.  As if Jefferson wasn't struggling himself in camp. He had a great year. He's not as great as his stats say. Turn on the tape and tons of those passes were placed perfectly and he might've had the DB stacked, but a lot of the time he had minimal separation. I liked Jefferson a lot and had him just behind Reagor and as a first round pick, but fans and analysts using his rookie season to tear down Reagor is ridiculous.

9 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Agree on Ward - I would love to get Elijah Moore as our slot guy. I think he'd do really well here. 

I'd love either Moore, but I think Elijah is going in the first round. We'll see. If he's there at 37 and we didn't take a WR in the first, then he definitely should be a top option. Horn couldn't touch him in the slot. He's a lot of fun.

10 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Agree on Maddox (I don't think he should even be on an NFL roster) - I think CB might be the biggest need. 

I'd agree its probably the biggest need too, but both corners are probably gone before 12, so if we want one we have to move up and I don't think I'm a fan of moving up unless its for Chase or Pitts and good chance both are gone by 5 and if not 5, then 6. 

5 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Draft a high end DE next year where the class is most likely stronger. I have no idea if it is or not, but with how weak this one is, I'm assuming it's stronger. Take a guy in the 2nd or 3rd this year. I like Basham.

I agree. Next years edge class looks like it could be significantly better. Not that this edge class is terrible. There is just question marks on most of these guys... Paye, Ojulari, Phillips, Rousseau (ew), etc.  

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

Take all the reasonable and good picks on this list and just throw them right in the garbage