2021 NCAA/Draft Prospect Thread

Kiltman

This is the 37th year Bob McGinn has written an NFL Draft Series. Previously, it appeared in the Green Bay Press-Gazette (1985-2001), the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (1992-2017) and BobMcGinnFootball.com (2018-19). Until 2014, personnel evaluators often were quoted by name. The series reluctantly adopted an all-anonymous format in 2015 at the request of most scouts. This will be a nine-part series.

https://theathletic.com/2542208/2021/04/26/ranking-top-edge-rushers-in-2021-nfl-draft-bob-mcginns-grades/

1. Jaelan Phillips, Miami (6-foot-5½, 260, 4.58, Round 1): Turned his career around with the Hurricanes in 2020.

“Everything that you want in a modern NFL pass-rushing end, he has,” said one scout. “He has rush from the edge, from inside, from nose tackle. He’s got the length, the mass, the strength and power to do it. If he had played all the way through and didn’t have the issues, absolutely he’s a top-10 player.”

His freshman season at UCLA was limited to seven games because of a high-ankle sprain. His sophomore season was limited to the first four games due to multiple concussions. Redshirted at Miami in 2019, played well last season and declared a year early.

“I was at his pro day and it was a phenomenal workout,” a second scout said. “He moved like an outside linebacker. He had some concussion issues at UCLA. Didn’t know if he was going to play football or not, or how important it was to him. Got out of there and went to Miami. Reset himself. He’s the most gifted (of the edge rushers).”

His 4.18 time in the short shuttle led the position.

“He really blew up this year,” said a third scout. “I wonder if he can sustain that. A lot of his lack of production before this year wasn’t his fault. He worked out freakishly.”

From Redlands, Calif., Phillips started six of his 11 games for the Bruins in 2017 and ’18 on teams that went 6-7 and 3-9 under Jim Mora and Chip Kelly, respectively. Finished with 86 tackles (23½ for loss) and 12½ sacks.

“He plays like he loves football,” a fourth scout said. “He’s really good in the run game and can get to the quarterback in a variety of different ways.”

2. Kwity Paye, Michigan (6-foot-2½, 261, 4.57, Round 1): Lightly recruited player from Providence, R.I. Compared by one scout to Chiefs defensive end Frank Clark, another former Michigan right defensive end.

“(I) like the way he plays,” said another scout. “It’s not anything special. He’s got good get-off and burst. There are moldable things to make him an efficient defensive end or outside linebacker. He worked out pretty well.”

Barely played as a freshman before starting four of 13 games as a sophomore. Moved into the lineup in 2019 but failed to put up impressive numbers.

“I don’t think he’ll be a bust,” another scout said. “High-effort guy. Played with violence. I’d have liked more stats, but he still was disruptive. He showed quickness off the snap. He could do it (rush with) both power and speed. Can hold the point. Has the strength (36 reps on the bench).”

Started 20 of 38 games, finishing with 100 tackles (23½ for loss) and 11½ sacks.

“He’s got a lot of things you want,” a third scout said. “Now, he is short. That’s his biggest deficiency. But his arm length (33 inches) is solid. I think his best attribute is he can really accelerate through contact.”

Was born in a refugee camp in Guinea. Came to the U.S. with his Liberian parents at 6 months.

“You see some violence, you see the jolt and ******, you see some burst off the edge,” said a fourth scout. “I like him, but he should be better than what he is.”

• PHI
    Patrick Surtain II
    CB Alabama

• PHI
    Jaelan Phillips
    EDGE Miami (FL)

• PHI
    Rondale Moore
    WR Purdue

• PHI
    Davis Mills
    QB Stanford

• PHI
    Shaun Wade
    S Ohio State

• PHI
    Cade Johnson
    WR South Dakota State

• PHI
    Larry Borom
    OG Missouri

• PHI
    Israel Mukuamu
    S South Carolina

• PHI
    Kene Nwangwu
    RB Iowa State

• PHI
    Drue Chrisman
    P Ohio State

• PHI
    Ben Mason
    RB Michigan

13 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

If his floor was that high he'd be locked in to the top 6 - pass rushers are a premium and you have two teams in the top six with glaring holes there, yet you hear nothing about him. 

The main reason Paye is being linked here is because we have an incompetent GM who can't draft, said GM loves the OL/DL and the BG comparison. 

For a lot of draft guys he is inching up or has always been like mid teens to early 20s.
Only reason he's not super high, aside from teams getting dumb for QBs, IS his pass rushing. If that was polished out he'd go as high as 6 or 7 this year.

When I say get a second contract I should clarify just that I don't think he'll be out of the league. Like some team will have use for him as a run defender with some pass rushing upside. Which he already is.

17 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

TRM trying hard to talk himself off the ledge by trying to convince himself that Paye will be a good pick and I respect it.....

i do think paye will end up being an ok player it would be very disappointing though.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

For a lot of draft guys he is inching up or has always been like mid teens to early 20s.
Only reason he's not super high, aside from teams getting dumb for QBs, IS his pass rushing. If that was polished out he'd go as high as 6 or 7 this year.

When I say get a second contract I should clarify just that I don't think he'll be out of the league. Like some team will have use for him as a run defender with some pass rushing upside. Which he already is.

Here's my argument against Paye - you have 5 QBs that could/will go in the top 12, you have a TE that will go top 12 and you have atleast 1 OL that will go top 12 - would Paye be the 5th best player on your board at the point? The answer will always be no.