2021 NCAA/Draft Prospect Thread

Kiltman

13 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Yeah it’s doable, I just don’t see us losing these next two games, at least not both of them.

The nice thing is we don’t really even “need” the 3rd overall pick. Top 7 is great. Anything else is gravy. Would be sweet to get #4, Lawrence / Fields / Sewell go and we can either have the pick of everyone else or be open for business. Like if we could get #4 move back with Carolina at #6-7 and still get one of these guys plus the extra picks + what we maybe get for Carson...would be nice. You could do even another trade back too if you really wanted to there. Unfortunately Howie is picking so it’ll all be wasted...but fun at least.

We might not "need" the 3rd or 4th pick, but we do need to hit on the pick we make, wether it's 4th, 8th, or 32nd. The guy we draft needs to be a multi time pro bowler, regardless of them being a WR, OL, DL, or CB (Howie ain't taking Parsons, so we can forget LB in the 1st)

Edited by Jeezla

42 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

We might not "need" the 3rd or 4th pick, but we do need to hit on the pick we make, wether it's 4th, 8th, or 32nd. The guy we draft needs to be a multi time pro bowler, regardless of them being a WR, OL, DL, or CB (Howie ain't taking Parsons, so we can forget LB in the 1st)

Well yeah, we can’t keep missing on drafting key contributors and stars. 

What I meant by that was even at 8 There still will be a good prospect on the board. We won’t be outside looking in on the top pool of players. Higher the better of course though.

19 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Say we lose out and get the 5th pick and the draft ends up going:

1.) JAX - Trevor Lawrence QB

2.) NYJ - Justin Fields QB

3.) CIN - Penei Sewell OT

4.) CAR - Ja'Marr Chase or Micah Parsons

What would you guys do at 5?

Do you take whoever Carolina doesn't take or would you opt to trade down for a sizeable haul from whoever wants to move up for Lance/Wilson?

I'd take the haul all day long. Not like I see us selecting Parsons anyways. Chase is a great prospect, but he's not gonna be Megatron, Julio, etc.

If Howie is our GM then stay put and take the best/most reliable prospect there is.

If we get someone else who we are more confident in their ability to evaluate talent then trade down because we really need to rebuild this thing from the ground up.

Zaven Collins is probably my LB2 over Moses. He's really good, and considerably better than Moses in coverage.

1 Parsons
2 Collins
3 Moses
4 Browning
5 Surratt/JOK
7 Bolton

Cameron McGrone might be #4 or even #3 over Moses if he declares, but I need to watch more of him. Could be a very good year to need a MLB, provided you have a GM willing to take one in the top 2 rounds.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Zaven Collins is probably my LB2 over Moses. He's really good, and considerably better than Moses in coverage.

1 Parsons
2 Collins
3 Moses
4 Browning
5 Surratt/JOK
7 Bolton

Cameron McGrone might be #4 or even #3 over Moses if he declares, but I need to watch more of him. Could be a very good year to need a MLB, provided you have a GM willing to take one in the top 2 rounds.

Taking Collins and playing him at MLB would be a terrible idea - which means it something Howie is likely to do. 

I see him strictly as an EDGE rusher. 

I'm also glad to see someone as low on Bolton as I am. Just never really impressed with him. 

6 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Taking Collins and playing him at MLB would be a terrible idea - which means it something Howie is likely to do. 

I see him strictly as an EDGE rusher. 

I'm also glad to see someone as low on Bolton as I am. Just never really impressed with him. 

I think Zaven has the movement skills and fluidity in coverage (his zone drops at least) to be an MLB. His run/pass diagnoses seems pretty on point. And he can take on blocks. 

Edited by Jeezla

6 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

Welp....I did a PFN Mock draft and it gave me a hard enough chubb to want to come here and share.

1 (7) - JaMarr Chase, WR, LSU
2 (39) - Dylan Moses, LB, Alabama
3 (71) - Asante Samuel Jr., CB, FSU

For the sake of my health I only ran a three round mock but after 4 hours I did have to seek medical attention.

dylan moses at 39 is probably leaning towards a reach

43 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

Do you think his ego would allow that? I don't. 

I don't if he'll have a choice - Lurie can't look at the production, or lack of, from our last few draft classes and our performance on the field and think to himself that Howie needs to keep making personnel decisions. 

19 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

For homer reasons, Alim McNeil is at the top of my draft board. He went to the HS I teach at and I had him in class. Awesome kid. So cool he’s a legit prospect 

I'm down. He was on the Freaks List at #32.

32. Alim McNeill, NC State, defensive tackle

Freakiest attribute: Explosive strength

Thanks to some smart evaluations and the efforts of Wolfpack strength coach Dantonio Burnette, aka Coach Thunder, State has produced a bunch of Freak D-linemen of late. Meet the next one, a powerhouse 326-pound former four-star recruit who had 28 tackles, 7.5 TFLs and 5.5 sacks last year. McNeill, despite his massive size, vertical jumped 32 inches. Don’t be surprised if the junior runs in the 4.9s by the time he’s ready for the NFL combine. He also benches 445 pounds and squats 640.

Does explosive strength remind you of anyone?

Obviously he's not as athletic as Cox though. Otherwise he would be talked about in the first round or two, but he would be a nice fit as a great run defender who can improve as a pass rusher behind Cox. PFF graded him pretty highly fwiw. Can't say I really watched NC State this year, but I've been aware of him since last year and saw him made plays then. Not sure where he is projected to go. I'm guessing somewhere from late 3rd to early 5th?

After we grab McNeill for you, then we can spend one of our last day 3 picks on Camryn Bynum from Cal for my selfish reasons aka cause he grew up in the same city as me like I said in another post. I won't hold him going to the rival HS which is one of the top public high schools in the nation for football. My school hasn't had a truly good season since my freshman year which was 2006.... lmao.

As a USC fan I didn't follow his career closely, but whenever I saw Cal games he seemed to be in good position most of the time. He's no Darby. He has ball skills. Had at least 8 or 9 pass deflections in his freshman, sophomore and junior seasons. He opted out early in his Senior year which he came back from cause of the COVID craziness and wanting to focus on the NFL draft. His head coach Wilcox raves about his work ethic and the kind of person he is which is good to hear.

A lot of draft twitter seems to be fond of him as a day 3 sleeper. Not sure where he'll go on day 3 though. 

Tony Pauline's comments on him:

Camryn Bynum is another player I’ve had highly rated since his freshman season. Bynum is a feisty corner with terrific ball skills and solid instincts. His downfall is speed, as Bynum plays like a 4.55-second corner, which will depress his draft stock.

And for an even more in-depth scouting report here is what Rob Rang from NFLDraftScout.com/Sports Illustrated said about him:

Augmented by videos and comments by others, Rang describes Bynum's strengths as follows:

Savvy, coordinated athlete with good arm length and flexible hips to corral receivers at the line and catch point. Quick in his drop, efficiently gaining ground out of a traditional backpedal and sidestep, maintaining close proximity to the receiver. Springs out of his stance in press, driving out of the box to shadow receivers as they release into their route. Savvy player whose film study shows in his route recognition, showing above average awareness to undercut quick-hitters without getting sucked in by shoulder fakes. Technically-sound, understanding how to remain hip to hip with receivers and leave razor thin windows for quarterbacks to try to fit the football.

Impressive body control, including hand-eye coordination to snake his hands through intended receivers to slap the ball away… Turns to locate the ball and has the ballskills to do something with it, showing the ability to track it, as well as extend and ****** away from his frame.

Excellent timing on his leaps to compete for jump balls.

Reliable face-up tackler who brings his hips to create legitimate knockdown power against receivers, as well as in run support. Recognizes quick screens and other underneath routes, showing excellent downhill burst and the competitive nature to attack.

Wraps his arms for effective, efficient takedowns. Though the majority of his play is outside, Bynum does have experience in the slot and played more of a safety role in some alignments in 2019, as well, again, speaking to his preparation and football smarts. Enters senior season with 38 consecutive starts and reigning team captain.

Rang assesses Bynum's weaknesses in these terms:

Lacks the wow factor from a size and speed perspective. Has a somewhat lanky frame with just average muscular development at this time. May prove a better athlete on the field than he is in workouts, showing smooth acceleration and leaping ability, but lacks an explosive element… Gets grabby in coverage, jostling with receivers throughout the route, sneaking tugs that occasionally get called… Accelerates quickly but tops out quickly, as well, and may lack ideal top-end speed. Loses a step on vertical routes and struggles to recover when this occurs.

Rang compares Bynum to Levi Wallace of the Buffalo Bills and pegs Bynum as a third-round NFL draft pick.

Here's is Rang's ranking of Cal's top-10 NFL prospects, along with their estimated 40 time and class (he mentions 11 Cal players, but you get the point):

1. Camryn Bynum, CB, 6-0, 190, 4.50, rSR

How high he goes will probably be determined based on the 40 he runs and he knows that as he said after he opted out that he wants to work on his form and make sure he does his best there. Timed speed is a little overrated though and he's definitely not slow like Douglas was. If he runs a 4.50-4.55 that's not that bad. If he cracks the 4.4s, then he's probably definitely in round 3 to 4 range.

Seems like more of just an outside corner though. If we want to dip into the PAC 12 for a nickel, then we should go after Elijah Molden like I mentioned in my mock too.

4 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

I just did a whole mock off season and even traded for the picks i traded for players and the tdn mock just white screened afterwards. 

I did trade down twice and get Caleb Farley at 16. 

=/

lol bruh... I was gonna ask you to do a trade down just to see what it would look like since I don't have premium (how is it?), but if that happened and we passed on Farley at 16 I wouldn't know what to do with myself. He probably won't fall that far just cause teams always need good corners just like pass rushers and one with the ceiling of Farley is hard to come by.

6 hours ago, Scalamania said:

I don't if he'll have a choice - Lurie can't look at the production, or lack of, from our last few draft classes and our performance on the field and think to himself that Howie needs to keep making personnel decisions. 

Hope you're right. I'm going into this offseason not expecting it just so I don't get my hopes up.

I like Howie and appreciate what he's done for the most part, especially regarding 2017 offseason and his ability to do contracts, but we need a better evaluator and new voice.