New Orleans Saints Eat the W and sign QB Winston for 1 year

Canadian Saint

15 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I'll go with it, but I haven't cared for Winston since his college days. I'll bite my tongue a bit and see what he can accomplish with some good leadership. 

For me I'm not sure what we're getting. Say what you want about Teddy but the one consistent with him is that he was always a consumate pro, a great teammate and very coachable. Winston thus far has shown he's the opposite.

One of our many strengths is our lockerroom is top notch. I don't want him to cause a headache. Even though I'm sure we'll be able to weather it. So I guess we'll see how good leadership can health Winston. He's gotta this is basically his last shot to develop into a consistent starter. Arians and Payton are top notch QB coaches, and if he can't develop under both of them then he'll be nothing mroe than a back up from here on out.

• Like 1

I must say why did you all draft Tommy Stevens to replace Taysom Hill then resign Hill the next day?  Ok Hill is the backup, great, then also sign Winston?  All decent moves but is curious what was drafting Tommy Stevens about then.  And why resign Taysom and also get Winston?  Sure Taysom does a variety of things and would not want to put him in harms way without a real backup QB I suppose.  

Freaking great for Taysom, get that kind of money and not really have a position or even be a backup QB really.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I must say why did you all draft Tommy Stevens to replace Taysom Hill then resign Hill the next day?  Ok Hill is the backup, great, then also sign Winston?  All decent moves but is curious what was drafting Tommy Stevens about then.  And why resign Taysom and also get Winston?  Sure Taysom does a variety of things and would not want to put him in harms way without a real backup QB I suppose.  

Freaking great for Taysom, get that kind of money and not really have a position or even be a backup QB really.  

Tommy was a 7th round pick for a reason 

There’s no guarantee he’s going to be able to replicate what Taysom does, even though he’s a similar player.

7 minutes ago, Dome said:

Tommy was a 7th round pick for a reason 

There’s no guarantee he’s going to be able to replicate what Taysom does, even though he’s a similar player.

I honestly was shocked Tommy was drafted, there is no way he should have been drafted based on what he did on the field in college.  He was drafted to replace Taysom I assume.   Stevens is a good athlete, has flashes at times but to me no way they took him for anything but a replacement for Taysom, and maybe his contract demands were not as much after it all and they came together on a deal obviously.

Tommy will not make the roster, but to me he was absolute drafted in an effort to replace him but clearly now they do not have to.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I honestly was shocked Tommy was drafted, there is no way he should have been drafted based on what he did on the field in college.  He was drafted to replace Taysom I assume.   Stevens is a good athlete, has flashes at times but to me no way they took him for anything but a replacement for Taysom, and maybe his contract demands were not as much after it all and they came together on a deal obviously.

Tommy will not make the roster, but to me he was absolute drafted in an effort to replace him but clearly now they do not have to.

Most players in the 7th have major issues with their game, that’s why they lasted that long... 

I don’t think you draft someone in the 7th because you expect them to replace an important piece on your offense, I think you draft someone in the 7th because there’s a possibility they can replace an important piece on your offense

If they had taken a Taysomesque QB in the 2nd-5th then sure, we’d have some issues... but guys taken in the 6th or 7th generally have that “probably not but maybe” cloud lingering over them anyways.... even if the Saints think there’s only a 5-10% chance this guy can develop into a role player for us, that’s about as good as it gets where they were picking him up anyways 

Edited by Dome

2 minutes ago, Dome said:

Most players in the 7th have major issues with their game, that’s why they lasted that long... 

I don’t think you draft someone in the 7th because you expect them to replace an important piece on your offense, I think you draft someone in the 7th because there’s a possibility they can replace an important piece on your offense

If they had taken a Taysomesque QB in the 2nd-5th then sure, we’d have some issues... but guys taken in the 6th or 7th generally have that “probably not but maybe” cloud lingering over them anyways.... even if the Saints think there’s only a 5-10% chance this guy can develop into a role player for us, that’s about as good as it gets where they were picking him up anyways 

Then why did they draft him?  For fun?  Seems odd they draft him then day after sign Taysom Hill and Winston.  Clearly something went down there.  I watched Tommy Stevens during his college career, and nothing about his game says he is our QB for the future, he is an athletic QB who can run and maybe do something Taysom Hill used to do.  But turns out that is not needed and it was a wasted pick.  Not a huge deal though obviously.

Then again they have an amazing UDFA class like usual so that helps, they got Joe Bachie and that kid could make their roster and is a hell of a player.  By the way Malcolm Perry would have been a much better gimmick type QB threat than Tommy Stevens, and he was drafted after Tommy but all of that does not matter now.  Still there is nothing about Tommy Steven's game that says I can be a QB backup in the NFL at all, so it was a big surprise he was picked by anyone honestly.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Then why did they draft him?  For fun? 

I mean... it’s a 7th round pick... I think you could take every 7th round pick and point out depth ahead of them that’s gonna make it hard for them to see the field.

Like I said, he’s a guy they view as having a similar skill set to Taysom with the possibility for him to develop... not because they expect him to step into that role and flourish from Day 1... taysom only played one offensive snap his rookie year.

this just seems like a lot of scrutiny for a 7th round pick lol 

16 minutes ago, Dome said:

I mean... it’s a 7th round pick... I think you could take every 7th round pick and point out depth ahead of them that’s gonna make it hard for them to see the field.

Like I said, he’s a guy they view as having a similar skill set to Taysom with the possibility for him to develop... not because they expect him to step into that role and flourish from Day 1... taysom only played one offensive snap his rookie year.

this just seems like a lot of scrutiny for a 7th round pick lol 

Maybe, but to me it just seemed like an odd pick.  Especially when you consider what happened today.  

PS Malcolm Perry ran for over 4359 yards in college, Tommy Stevens ran for 887 yards.  And Perry has a legit chance of playing receiver with his quickness and athletic ability, Stevens not so sure about it but might be a better HB type.  Lucky for them he will make their practice squad if they want because no way another team signs him.  Good for Taysom to get that ton of cash and good for Tommy to be drafted I guess.

• Like 1