New Orleans Saints Eat the W and sign QB Winston for 1 year

Canadian Saint

On 4/29/2020 at 11:53 AM, tyler735 said:

Wow what a great deal for the Saints here! I like this signing even more now

This may help me change my opinion. I hope he's matured. We know he can put up yards, but he also needs to put up fewer INT's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

This may help me change my opinion. I hope he's matured. We know he can put up yards, but he also needs to put up fewer INT's.

I had Winston as the top prospect to replace Brees should he retire before this next season.  Winston has amazing talent, anyone doubting that is just a hater, but he needs to improve his decision making.  Putting him with Payton alone would improve that, letting him sit a year behind Brees learning how reads should be made would help in that improvement and his future progression, I love this pick-up, especially at the value.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Raves said:

I had Winston as the top prospect to replace Brees should he retire before this next season.  Winston has amazing talent, anyone doubting that is just a hater, but he needs to improve his decision making.  Putting him with Payton alone would improve that, letting him sit a year behind Brees learning how reads should be made would help in that improvement and his future progression, I love this pick-up, especially at the value.

Agreed. The upside to this move is enormous. If we can refine and let Winston grow behind Brees and the coaches, we might go from one franchise QB to the next after Brees hangs them up. The question is can Winston put in the work and have some growth. I don't know if people watch the Pat McAfee show but they had a Yahoo NFL correspondant on to talk about the Winston situation. There was an interesting tidbit about Garrett Grayson in there. So in the film room, Brees and Luke McCown would test Grayson on the playbook constantly and Grayson would struggle. It got to the point where Payton had to go the QB coach and tell him he needs to tutor Grayson on the playbook in his own time because he's just not picking it up. He pointed out that Winston is coming into the building where Brees and Taysom know the playbook inside and out, and to start off Winston can't lollygag behind. He's got areas he needs to improve upon, and those areas we can help him in. We will see if he can pick it up. If he does fix his issues (which from what I believe are mostly mental ones), we might have another franchise QB on our hands when Brees hangs it up (also assuming Payton doesn't give Hill a shot as QB which he has been hyping up the entire offseason).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

Agreed. The upside to this move is enormous. If we can refine and let Winston grow behind Brees and the coaches, we might go from one franchise QB to the next after Brees hangs them up. The question is can Winston put in the work and have some growth. I don't know if people watch the Pat McAfee show but they had a Yahoo NFL correspondant on to talk about the Winston situation. There was an interesting tidbit about Garrett Grayson in there. So in the film room, Brees and Luke McCown would test Grayson on the playbook constantly and Grayson would struggle. It got to the point where Payton had to go the QB coach and tell him he needs to tutor Grayson on the playbook in his own time because he's just not picking it up. He pointed out that Winston is coming into the building where Brees and Taysom know the playbook inside and out, and to start off Winston can't lollygag behind. He's got areas he needs to improve upon, and those areas we can help him in. We will see if he can pick it up. If he does fix his issues (which from what I believe are mostly mental ones), we might have another franchise QB on our hands when Brees hangs it up (also assuming Payton doesn't give Hill a shot as QB which he has been hyping up the entire offseason).

Interesting.
As Madden said, 90% of the game is half mental.