Saints sign Jameis Winston

11sanchez11

I think this is a great fit. Saints get a year to see if he can be the guy to replace Brees while also landing a solid backup qb.

Winston has all the talent into he world as seen by the 5k 30 tds. If they can coach the ints down he could be a nice long term starter.

This is a good decision for a number of reasons:

1) The Saints need to carry three QBs because of the way they utilize Hill and Brees’s age  

2) There’s no guarantee that Hill resigns the Saints. He’ll be a FA next season. 

3) As much as we clown on Jameis...and I do it as well...there was always a lingering concern that he’d get it figured out. He now enters the best possible scenario, a top three system, a top 3 offensive head coach, and a HOF QB willing to take QBs under his wing. Winston is still only 26 years old. He can continue to improve. If Winston improves you potentially have the inside track to him returning as your starter or having another team pay him big and earn a 3rd round comp pick. If I’m the NFC South, I’d be at least a little bit anxious right now. 

• Like 4

Jameis stinks and is a bonehead. He will drive Payton crazy with his decision making. I think he can be a back up level qb for a couple of games but he is not nfl starter material. 5 years, #1 pick and were talking him still trying to read a defense and learn. Five years and he still cant diagnose cover 3 variations...godspeed

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

How long until Taysom Hill is gone though and Tommy Stevens takes on his role?

Taysom Hill is one of the most rare players I’ve ever seen. The chance of anyone coming in and doing what Taysom Hill does is remote at best. He truly is one of the greatest well rounded football players in NFL history.

I think that with Stevens, they are having someone could potentially develop to do some things similar to Taysom...both played TE and QB. But there’s no way you can expect Stevens to replace Taysom. And second, if the Saints hand the reins over to Taysom next year (which is still possible in spite of the Winston signing), you need a backup who can play like Hill so that you don’t have to completely change the offense if Hill goes down...Stevens can develop into that guy. 

The Saints will very likely put him on practice squad but felt like his value was enough to trade a 6th for him to gain his rights and not have to compete in UDFA. The Saints are very methodical. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

This is a good decision for a number of reasons:

1) The Saints need to carry three QBs because of the way they utilize Hill and Brees’s age  

2) There’s no guarantee that Hill resigns the Saints. He’ll be a FA next season. 

3) As much as we clown on Jameis...and I do it as well...there was always a lingering concern that he’d get it figured out. He now enters the best possible scenario, a top three system, a top 3 offensive head coach, and a HOF QB willing to take QBs under his wing. Winston is still only 26 years old. He can continue to improve. If Winston improves you potentially have the inside track to him returning as your starter or having another team pay him big and earn a 3rd round comp pick. If I’m the NFC South, I’d be at least a little bit anxious right now. 

Especially agree with point three. I  have disliked him in general since his FSU days and when he was being overrated predraft but teaming him with Arians was a horrible choice if you didn't have a great defense to compensate. Yes they threw points up but put their defense in constant crap situations. You put one of the most aggressive playcallers who puts a TON on his QB's shoulders with a gunner that makes a lot of stupid plays. He was set up to fail every bit as much as succeed. 

Payton will be able to limit his aggressiveness via his playcalling, if he ends up playing. He will still have those WTF moments but the playcallers can greatly lessen them with structure IMO.