Saints sign Jameis Winston

11sanchez11

6 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

OR if they never saw you as a QB in the first place.

I mean I get it...but at what point do groom Hill to be the QBOTF? Hard to prep yourself as a future franchise QB while lining up all over the place EXCEPT at the one position that's supposedly your meal ticket. 

I don’t think Taysom is a QB nor do I think he’ll become a starter... so we’ll get that out of the way first...

but by this standard how does any young QB who develops on the bench become a starter?

taysom plays QB in the preseason, and gets on the field in other ways during the regular season. Surely being a part of the offense regularly is going to do more to get you up to NFL speed than holding the starters clip board, all else considered equal.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dome said:

Most saints fans don’t think he can be a starting QB... that would be our coach.

most of us see him as a role player 

I’m glad sanity still reigns here. Reddit is a different story. He is really good at what he does, Hill, but I hope for your sake Payton’s hubris doesn’t get the best of him. I mean, for my sake that’d be awesome, but still. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveDX said:

I’m glad sanity still reigns here. Reddit is a different story. He is really good at what he does, Hill, but I hope for your sake Payton’s hubris doesn’t get the best of him. I mean, for my sake that’d be awesome, but still. 

Don’t go on the Saints subreddit if you want sanity lol

or any teams subreddit, for that matter 

1 minute ago, Dome said:

Don’t go on the Saints subreddit if you want sanity lol

or any teams subreddit, for that matter 

Or any subreddit at all from what I hear.

Taysom's great at what he does, and the longer the Saints use him in that role the better. He's the worst-kept secret weapon in the league and teams still can't stop him.

1 minute ago, y*so*blu said:

Or any subreddit at all from what I hear.

Taysom's great at what he does, and the longer the Saints use him in that role the better. He's the worst-kept secret weapon in the league and teams still can't stop him.

I’d just be concerned about what happens when Brees retires. I can see the Saints being like one of those super successful family dynasties who make a lot of money because they’ve got so many unique family members, but then the patriarch dies and it all goes to hell cause it turns out he was the one balancing the whole thing out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveDX said:

I’d just be concerned about what happens when Brees retires. I can see the Saints being like one of those super successful family dynasties who make a lot of money because they’ve got so many unique family members, but then the patriarch dies and it all goes to hell cause it turns out he was the one balancing the whole thing out. 

Isn’t that the concern when any all time great leaves? Especially a QB?

I felt the same way last year, and the year before, and the year before... doesn’t feel any different this year. 

5 minutes ago, Dome said:

Isn’t that the concern when any all time great leaves? Especially a QB?

I felt the same way last year, and the year before, and the year before... doesn’t feel any different this year. 

It is, but I mean specifically with Hill. He’s not a starting QB, and he has no chance to find out with Brees around. But once Brees leaves, what if Payton starts to think “Ya know I’m a genius, and I love Mormons.  It just might work!”  For the record I don’t think that’ll happen. But it might. 

10 minutes ago, DaveDX said:

It is, but I mean specifically with Hill. He’s not a starting QB, and he has no chance to find out with Brees around.

I agree... but Taysom has improved as a passer each year, and his improvements as a receiver and blocker have been even more noticeable 

i don’t think he’ll ever get there (“there” meaning a starting QB) but I don’t think it’s smart to trade away a guy who is still trending upwards either. 

I expect Taysom to play about twice as much as he did last year. If he’s on the field that much his contact is fine. If putting him on the field that much flops, then it was a bad signing. 

if Brees retires and Payton decides we’re gonna use the last year of Taysoms deal to throw him out as a starter.... well, then we’ll be in the company with quite a few teams who don’t have a reliable QB.... but we’ll only be committed to him for one season.

It’s not the end of the world when you’re already dealing with a HOF QB leaving, just a drop in the ocean 

Edited by Dome

2 hours ago, DaveDX said:

It is, but I mean specifically with Hill. He’s not a starting QB, and he has no chance to find out with Brees around. But once Brees leaves, what if Payton starts to think “Ya know I’m a genius, and I love Mormons.  It just might work!”  For the record I don’t think that’ll happen. But it might. 

I think Payton doesn't think of Hill or Winston as a starting QB, he signed Jameis to a one-year for a reason, he probably wants to see them both fight for the backup spot and there are no downsides.

Winston sucks? Get rid of him. 

Winston is great? Roll him out for next year with a new contract.

Hill beats out Winston? Well we've got him locked for next year so lets see what he can do.

Hill clearly isn't as good as Winston? Okay, well we've still got him locked down for next year so he can play the flex still.

It's smart.

Edited by Drained
  • Like 2