Saints sign Jameis Winston

11sanchez11

This is such a great deal for the Saints. If he doesn't pan out, who cares, we lost $1M when we needed a backup anyways. That's the worst case scenario. Best case he learns from Brees a lot, lasik helped him, Payton likes what he sees, Brees retires after the season and Winston signs a new deal here as the starter. No risk, high reward. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

This is such a great deal for the Saints. If he doesn't pan out, who cares, we lost $1M when we needed a backup anyways. That's the worst case scenario. Best case he learns from Brees a lot, lasik helped him, Payton likes what he sees, Brees retires after the season and Winston signs a new deal here as the starter. No risk, high reward. 

I would’ve been fine with the signing even at market value (high end backup)

this is an absolute steal

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bassomatic said:

Multiple Pittsburgh sportswriters are reporting that this is false, and the Steelers never offered a contract. Based on last off-season, I'm inclined to believe them over any sportswriter outside of Pittsburgh.

That was pretty dumb of the Steelers to not top this offer with their QB coming off of a serious injury. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 2:37 PM, SaveOurSonics said:

That was pretty dumb of the Steelers to not top this offer with their QB coming off of a serious injury. 

The Steelers have stated their plans for the QB position repeatedly, but nobody listens. They drafted Mason Rudolph in 2018 specifically to develop him. If it doesn't work, then they'll draft another QB when that time comes. The worst-case scenario is that Ben Roethlisberger retires after this season, Mason Rudolph flops in 2021, and the Steelers have to draft a QB in 2022. Bottom line, they're not bringing on a veteran QB to be anything more than a backup.

Crab legs are, in my understanding, an important part of Louisiana cuisine. So I'm not surprised Winston ends up in NOLA.

For NOLA it is worth the risk for the price they are paying but I wouldn't be to hopeful about Winston's development there. Sean Payton is seen as some kind of QB whisperer and while he's a very good team with Brees he hasn't done too much with all the developmental QB's the Saints have drafted through the years (I'll be the first to admit none of those had Winston's physical talent, although non of them have been knuckleheads like Winston from what I recall)

11 hours ago, Bassomatic said:

The Steelers have stated their plans for the QB position repeatedly, but nobody listens. They drafted Mason Rudolph in 2018 specifically to develop him. If it doesn't work, then they'll draft another QB when that time comes. The worst-case scenario is that Ben Roethlisberger retires after this season, Mason Rudolph flops in 2021, and the Steelers have to draft a QB in 2022. Bottom line, they're not bringing on a veteran QB to be anything more than a backup.

Jameis Winston will be barely making more money than Rudolph this season. The Steelers organization would really prefer to develop the 3rd round pick who played poorly last season over a former overall #1 pick who is fresh off leading the NFL in pass yards? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Jameis Winston will be barely making more money than Rudolph this season. The Steelers organization would really prefer to develop the 3rd round pick who played poorly last season over a former overall #1 pick who is fresh off leading the NFL in pass yards? 

Why not? Not every worthwhile QB makes an instant impact. Kurt Warner tried out for the Packers but was cut in favor of Ty Detmer, and had to play arena football and NFL Europe before the Rams gave him another opportunity. Drew Brees threw more INTs than TDs in the first three seasons of his career, and was so underwhelming that the Chargers drafted Eli Manning and traded for Philip Rivers to replace him. Tony Romo didn't start a game until the fourth season of his career, and would have been cut by the Cowboys after one season if Quincy Carter didn't fail a drug test. Alex Smith was considered an all-time bust after the first six seasons of his career, before Jim Harbaugh salvaged him.

Bottom line, the Steelers and I both need more than 10 games to determine if Mason Rudolph has what it takes, especially given the carnage the Steelers dealt with at RB and WR last season. By mid-November, they were rummaging through other teams' practice squads just to find enough healthy bodies to field an offense. Players with names like Tony Brooks-James, Kerrith Whyte Jr. and Tevin Jones took meaningful snaps for the Steelers on offense last season. Everything that could have gone wrong for the Steelers offense, did, so I really don't see how anybody can make an accurate judgment of a young, inexperienced QB from it.

On 4/29/2020 at 10:01 PM, Bassomatic said:

Multiple Pittsburgh sportswriters are reporting that this is false, and the Steelers never offered a contract. Based on last off-season, I'm inclined to believe them over any sportswriter outside of Pittsburgh.

Eh. Both can technically be true. They may have discussed it in earnest but never put a singable contract in front of him. 

On 5/2/2020 at 5:45 AM, Bassomatic said:

Why not? Not every worthwhile QB makes an instant impact. Kurt Warner tried out for the Packers but was cut in favor of Ty Detmer, and had to play arena football and NFL Europe before the Rams gave him another opportunity. Drew Brees threw more INTs than TDs in the first three seasons of his career, and was so underwhelming that the Chargers drafted Eli Manning and traded for Philip Rivers to replace him. Tony Romo didn't start a game until the fourth season of his career, and would have been cut by the Cowboys after one season if Quincy Carter didn't fail a drug test. Alex Smith was considered an all-time bust after the first six seasons of his career, before Jim Harbaugh salvaged him.

Bottom line, the Steelers and I both need more than 10 games to determine if Mason Rudolph has what it takes, especially given the carnage the Steelers dealt with at RB and WR last season. By mid-November, they were rummaging through other teams' practice squads just to find enough healthy bodies to field an offense. Players with names like Tony Brooks-James, Kerrith Whyte Jr. and Tevin Jones took meaningful snaps for the Steelers on offense last season. Everything that could have gone wrong for the Steelers offense, did, so I really don't see how anybody can make an accurate judgment of a young, inexperienced QB from it.

The point is, the two players are nearly dead even from a financial standpoint and you have an uphill battle trying to convince anyone that Rudolph has as much promise/potential as Winston to be groomed into more than what we've seen. I could see your argument if Winston was making 3x more money, but he's not. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I could see your argument if Winston was making 3x more money, but he's not. 

Winston would still be under $4m in this scenario, which is arguably a better deal than Rudolph at whatever he costs

• Like 1