Kahlil Mack Trade Revisited

CBears019

Now that all of the exchanged picks have been exercised, nows a good time where we can fully evaluate the Kahlil Mack trade with the Raiders.  With the 2020 draft in the books, let’s recap.

Bears get:

- Kahlil Mack

- 2020 2nd round pick, 43 ovr/Cole Kmet, TE

- 2020 7th round pick, 226 ovr/Arlington Hambright, OT

Raiders get:

- 2019 1st round pick, 24 ovr/Josh Jacobs, RB

- 2019 6th round pick,  196  ovr/Traded to Jets

- 2020 1st round pick, 19 ovr/Damon Annette, CB

- 2020 3rd round pick, 81 ovr/Bryan Edwards, WR

—————————

Now obviously, we have no idea how these draft picks will turn out in the end, and that could have a profound impact on how we view this trade.  But based off of what we have now, who won the trade?  If you felt that the Bears gave too much to the Raiders when it happened, do you feel the same way now?  

2 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Now that all of the exchanged picks have been exercised, nows a good time where we can fully evaluate the Kahlil Mack trade with the Raiders.  With the 2020 draft in the books, let’s recap.

Bears get:

- Kahlil Mack

- 2020 2nd round pick, 43 ovr/Cole Kmet, TE

- 2020 7th round pick, 226 ovr/Arlington Hambright, OT

Raiders get:

- 2019 1st round pick, 24 ovr/Josh Jacobs, RB

- 2019 6th round pick,  196  ovr/Traded to Jets

- 2020 1st round pick, 19 ovr/Damon Annette, CB

- 2020 3rd round pick, 81 ovr/Bryan Edwards, WR

—————————

Now obviously, we have no idea how these draft picks will turn out in the end, and that could have a profound impact on how we view this trade.  But based off of what we have now, who won the trade?  If you felt that the Bears gave too much to the Raiders when it happened, do you feel the same way now?  

I think Raiders could have won the trade especially with salary figured in, but they blew the picks. 

You also have to factor In Mack’s locker room and practice leadership.  I have never seen highest paid player on a team practice the hardest.  

• Like 1

Other thing is Raiders didn’t feel like they could win in short term so why make a player highest paid in league when you can get a bunch of picks for him? 

So for them I always thought they made right call even though I tease them. 

I think both teams did right thing for their team in that moment.  If MT had turned out good it would have been a historic good move for Bears. 

9 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Other thing is Raiders didn’t feel like they could win in short term so why make a player highest paid in league when you can get a bunch of picks for him? 

So for them I always thought they made right call even though I tease them. 

I think both teams did right thing for their team in that moment.  If MT had turned out good it would have been a historic good move for Bears. 

Good point.  Not all trades have to have one winner and one loser - as long as both teams benefit in the end that's all that really matters.  Personally I think drafting of Arnette at 19 was a reach and they probably could have traded down a few slots and grabbed him at the end of round 1 while gaining a few more picks.  But if that was "their guy" and they didn't want to risk someone else grabbing him, then they did what they had to do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CBears019 said:

Good point.  Not all trades have to have one winner and one loser - as long as both teams benefit in the end that's all that really matters.  Personally I think drafting of Arnette at 19 was a reach and they probably could have traded down a few slots and grabbed him at the end of round 1 while gaining a few more picks.  But if that was "their guy" and they didn't want to risk someone else grabbing him, then they did what they had to do.

I think a lot of people had two or maybe even three corners ahead of Arnette including ours.  You never know, but I bet he is around for quite a bit longer.  

I would say we have won this by a long long way...and I like the players the Raiders have added...I just feel Mack is such an elite player that unless they find a truly elite player they couldn't possible be worth it...Jacobs is a really good player but a running back and not elite...I don't think either of their draft picks this year will ever be elite...good but not elite...add in I think Kmet is a better prospect than either and I am thrilled with this move.

• Like 1

I'm good with it.

Mack is truly a once in a decade player and we have him locked in throughout his prime years.  With the return of a healthy Akiem Hicks and the addition of Quinn I can see him having one of his best years in 2020.

Jacobs was a nice pick but no RB is worth to any team what Mack can be worth to us.  Given better blocking and a bigger role in the offense I'm more than satisfied with Montgomery.  He's a very good fit for this offense.

IMHO the 2020 3rd means zip because we ended up with that second we used on Kmet and filled a critical need at TE.  Now let's just hope he pans out far better than Shaheen.  Or if we compare CBs I feel we got the better player for us albeit with slightly more risk.

If both teams have benefited I reject the media manufactured idea that there has to be a winner and a loser.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

I totally agree with you. Just saying though. It matters. 

It really doesn't. The cap continues to rise and the cap can be manipulated however you want. The Bears got a generational pass rusher and the Raiders got a good RB who will likely get 1 contract and be finished as a good RB by 2025.