Post Draft Big Picture Bears Thoughts

dll2000

8 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Ah.  I just feel like Pace's fate is tied to Trubisky's, especially since he didn't even try to take a swing on an upside QB with this draft.  What's left to evaluate on Pace? He rebuilt the team and hired an exciting likeable coach, put together a monster defense, but delivered a dud of an offense and went all-in and built a team around a dud of a QB. 

Pace traded for Foles. It's pretty clear ownership has given him a mulligan on Trubisky. As to what's left to evaluate about Pace, the only thing remaining is his tendency to make irrational moves. He's done a lot of good stuff, but also a lot of **** that makes you spit out your beer. That's a result of a "smartest guy in the room" mentality. The same damn thing that plagued, and eventually doomed, Angelo. The cool thing is that Pace IS actually smarter than Angelo. So maybe things work out. 

7 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Justin Fields is a ridiculous talent as well. Next year's draft is loaded at QB.

There are a lot of good potential guys coming up, for sure. 

3 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

Im not sure why everyone hates this team all of a sudden haha.

Don't hate the team at all. The Quinn signing was spectacular. The Foles trade was great. There's other good stuff, too, but I'll remain focused and just say--I don't like the DRAFT. It was bad. Period. 

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Defense is good.  Pagano is a good coach who knows what he is doing.  Leave him alone.

If Mack decides to play hard again, and returns to form, I see no way that this isn't the best defense in the league.

That can carry a team quite far. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Pace traded for Foles. It's pretty clear ownership has given him a mulligan on Trubisky. As to what's left to evaluate about Pace, the only thing remaining is his tendency to make irrational moves. He's done a lot of good stuff, but also a lot of **** that makes you spit out your beer. That's a result of a "smartest guy in the room" mentality. The same damn thing that plagued, and eventually doomed, Angelo. The cool thing is that Pace IS actually smarter than Angelo. So maybe things work out. 

There are a lot of good potential guys coming up, for sure. 

Don't hate the team at all. The Quinn signing was spectacular. The Foles trade was great. There's other good stuff, too, but I'll remain focused and just say--I don't like the DRAFT. It was bad. Period. 

If Mack decides to play hard again, and returns to form, I see no way that this isn't the best defense in the league.

That can carry a team quite far. 

I really wish you'd stop the Mack playing hard stuff. He was playing with a neck and back issue all year. He had 8.5 sacks and 5 FF. Not his best year but you act like he did nothing meaningful.

Are you guys kidding me with this?? 12-4 followed by 8-8 when we had a ton of injuries.....what are you guys even talking about?? TANKING??

Have people literally given up on this season (and front office for that matter)because the offensive line wasnt improved enough?? haha

I legit dont know what you all are talking about, we improved every position except SS...

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

Are you guys kidding me with this?? 12-4 followed by 8-8 when we had a ton of injuries.....what are you guys even talking about?? TANKING??

Have people literally given up on this season (and front office for that matter)because the offensive line wasnt improved enough?? haha

I legit dont know what you all are talking about, we improved every position except SS...

No one has given up on the season, but you'd have to be foolish to think this season is going anywhere unless the OL is much better, QB play is much better, the RB plays much better and they get 2 major improvements at WR. The D was other-worldly in 2018 and they still didn't win a playoff game.

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

No one has given up on the season, but you'd have to be foolish to think this season is going anywhere unless the OL is much better, QB play is much better, the RB plays much better and they get 2 major improvements at WR. The D was other-worldly in 2018 and they still didn't win a playoff game.

So basically this team isnt going ANYWHERE, unless we are a perfect team for a coach that has not had a losing season yet? This is what sounds foolish. I know this about the Bears but what exactly did you guys love about the GB, MIN offseasons?? MIN especially only lost players

QB will easily be better, not great but if you asked me would I trade Trubisky and Foles for Cousins straight up, I would not.

The receivers are still an issue, I give you that.

OL will be fine. Ifedi didnt get his option picked up but people are acting like he hasnt even been a starting OT on a good team.

The D just got BETTER with Quinn. Why would they be worse??

I just dont understand how you all think this 8-8 team hasnt improved?? Even modestly thats 9-7 or 10-6

Edited by MonserinNC
  • Like 2

For those "why didn't we spend a 5th-7th round pick on a QB hoping to find the next Tom Brady.  Is weed legal where you live too?  9_9

Last time I checked we did add a QB to the roster.  He's a little older than a rookie but he comes already developed and with his very own SB MVP Trophy.  You only get one of those when you're instrumental in helping your team win one.  So we do have two vet QBs with significant starting experience now and no place on the roster to keep a third who'd be inactive on game days anyway.

Despite all of the media reports to the contrary or our decision not to pick up Mitch's 5th year option I wouldn't say they've given up on him completely.  He has the tools to be a top NFL QB just not the head of one but is that more of a confidence issue than a deficiency in his football IQ?  He was inexperienced and somewhat raw coming in.  We knew that and a year under Fox and Loggains didn't help him.

It is still possible that 2019 was his "sophomore slump" and that he can return to his 2018 form or better especially since Foles will push the hell out of him AND his NFL career is poised at a very precarious balance point.  Suppose Foles does start.  We'd still have one of the best #2 QBs in the NFL and if Mitch shows progress there's nothing saying he can't return under an incentive laden deal just like we gave to Foles.  It is possible the two could be competing for more than just one year.  Then we have a situation much like Philly had with both Wentz and Foles as their #1 and #2 or GB when Rodgers was Favre's understudy for three years before he started. 

I'm only saying I'm 99% certain they haven't given up on Mitch just yet.  He still has a shot.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, soulman said:

For those "why didn't we spend a 5th-7th round pick on a QB hoping to find the next Tom Brady.  Is weed legal where you live too?  9_9

Last time I checked we did add a QB to the roster.  He's a little older than a rookie but he comes already developed and with his very own SB MVP Trophy.  You only get one of those when you're instrumental in helping your team win one.  So we do have two vet QBs with significant starting experience now and no place on the roster to keep a third who'd be inactive on game days anyway.

Despite all of the media reports to the contrary or our decision not to pick up Mitch's 5th year option I wouldn't say they've given up on him completely.  He has the tools to be a top NFL QB just not the head of one but is that more of a confidence issue than a deficiency in his football IQ?  He was inexperienced and somewhat raw coming in.  We knew that and a year under Fox and Loggains didn't help him.

It is still possible that 2019 was his "sophomore slump" and that he can return to his 2018 form or better especially since Foles will push the hell out of him AND his NFL career is poised at a very precarious balance point.  Suppose Foles does start.  We'd still have one of the best #2 QBs in the NFL and if Mitch shows progress there's nothing saying he can't return under an incentive laden deal just like we gave to Foles.  It is possible the two could be competing for more than just one year.  Then we have a situation much like Philly had with both Wentz and Foles as their #1 and #2 or GB when Rodgers was Favre's understudy for three years before he started. 

I'm only saying I'm 99% certain they haven't given up on Mitch just yet.  He still has a shot.

I lived in Austin, TX last year and just watched the games at a Bears bar. Im surprised to be back in Chicago(and participating in this thread more too). To see how much people have bailed on the team.

Legit the Bears had a down year last year and even that was still .500. Haha. I havent had the media influence so Im literally just looking at rosters and last years fantasy football numbers. I saw a team kind of cockily start a rookie RB and send Kyle Long out there for no reason. We also just messed around with Chase Daniels way too long.

While Graham is overpaid he had 600 yrds by himself while our 10 guys had 400 combined. Now we have him and Kmet?? Best TE in the draft.....what am I missing about the pessimism you guys are seeing?? haha....im seriously lost

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

I think people just know that without a franchise QB you're not enjoying any sustained success. See the Bears since...ever. lol. Even with one of the most dominant teams of all time Chicago's Achilles Heel was QB. Foles may have a hot streak here or there but he is a journeyman for a reason, he's routinely mediocre. Trubisky regressed but with improved OL and a real running attack he could be less of a liability, but you're losing a shootout with him at the helm usually. 

CB hasnt been proven to be improved. Prince wasnt spectacular but we have no idea how well our new guys will play or if Johnson will even be able to stay healthy. ILB is down since Kwit left, DT still has injury concerns. We lost Gabriel (not a big loss imo) but we are saying automatically that Mooney is an upgrade already? Idk. There are holes still, but with improved OL play the offense should at least not be horrible this season and that is an upgrade. They are obviously hoping better EDGE rushers will aid the DBs (which I believe as well). 

I've been on board for trying to sell the farm for a franchise QB. If they don't have Pace or Nagy on the hot seat then let them BOTH see who they want an go get them. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I've been on board for trying to sell the farm for a franchise QB. If they don't have Pace or Nagy on the hot seat then let them BOTH see who they want an go get them. 

So are you saying you would give up the FARM for Dak Prescott.....because thats the only player even a little bit like what you guys are talking about who is available.

They also went 8-8 and missed the playoffs.

I just hate this way of team evaluating. I dont know if you guys even notice you are doing it but youre copying analyst who essentially bet on "the field" every year.  Its just sitting back and saying your home team will suck, so betting on the other 31 teams instead of 1. You pretty much will more than likely right and if your team is good its just good for everybody and no one notices anyway haha.

Essentially you guys are just betting 3-1 that anyone but the Bears wins this division but its not really based on anything. Lions are still developing, Vikings only lost pieces, and GB has a newer coach than us along with QB drama. Yall are kind of lame for not just betting on your squad.

20 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

So are you saying you would give up the FARM for Dak Prescott.....because thats the only player even a little bit like what you guys are talking about who is available.

They also went 8-8 and missed the playoffs.

We couldn't afford Dak. But... Do you see Chicago putting up 27ppg and going 8-8? With the defense we field we would likely be 15-1. Granted, their offensive cast is better, different defenses and such so it's not really that comparable, but you get the point. 

I mean I'd make the STL trade to get Lawrence or Fields. I have no faith in Tru, Foles is better but still not a top 20 QB IMO, etc. We need a guy to build on for 15 years and that isn't coming anywhere but the draft. Unless we somehow do a Madden-level trade to get Wentz who miraculously regains his MVP form and stays healthy (not a snowball's chance. Lol)

Pace has to get a franchise QB in here or he is basically what Fox was in DEN but as a GM, the perfect guy to rebuild and stack up a team so someone else could get a ring after he's canned. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

I just hate this way of team evaluating. I dont know if you guys even notice you are doing it but youre copying analyst who essentially bet on "the field" every year.  Its just sitting back and saying your home team will suck, so betting on the other 31 teams instead of 1. You pretty much will more than likely right and if your team is good its just good for everybody and no one notices anyway haha.

Essentially you guys are just betting 3-1 that anyone but the Bears wins this division but its not really based on anything. Lions are still developing, Vikings only lost pieces, and GB has a newer coach than us along with QB drama. Yall are kind of lame for not just betting on your squad.

It's not betting the field every year, most of us grossly overestimated the team before 2019's season. It's being objective to most of us. Unless there is a major stretch of injuries this is at least an 8-8 team imo. The defense should be top 5 no matter what. But the offense has been trashed and just because we have a new OL coach and a journeyman QB doesn't mean its going to be much better. 

There are plenty of reasons to doubt an NFC North title. Not admitting that is pure homerism. I like your positivity but with GB for instance that is a coach that won 13 games in the regular season and a first ballot HOF QB. That's nothing to turn your nose up at since they have a damn good DC and a really respectable defense. Our HC is a guy who can rally the troops but hasnt shown a lot as a consistent play caller, and if it is Tru holding the team back why not just hand the reins to Foles? There are questions with this team that will not be answered until well into the season. That's an objective fact that's not easy to overlook. 

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

There are plenty of reasons to doubt an NFC North title. Not admitting that is pure homerism. I like your positivity but with GB for instance that is a coach that won 13 games in the regular season and a first ballot HOF QB. That's nothing to turn your nose up at since they have a damn good DC and a really respectable defense. Our HC is a guy who can rally the troops but hasnt shown a lot as a consistent play caller, and if it is Tru holding the team back why not just hand the reins to Foles? There are questions with this team that will not be answered until well into the season. That's an objective fact that's not easy to overlook. 

Make no mistake, I will always admit the Rodgers advantage. And our coach has won 20 games.

I just dont get the  "DONT HAVE A CHANCE" and "NO WAY" attitude. We literally just won it the season before.

Your saying plenty of reasons to doubt the team but I forreal dont know what you are talking about. Like RB and maybe WR depth is all I can think of....that and OG I guess.

1 hour ago, MonserinNC said:

I lived in Austin, TX last year and just watched the games at a Bears bar. Im surprised to be back in Chicago(and participating in this thread more too). To see how much people have bailed on the team.

Legit the Bears had a down year last year and even that was still .500. Haha. I havent had the media influence so Im literally just looking at rosters and last years fantasy football numbers. I saw a team kind of cockily start a rookie RB and send Kyle Long out there for no reason. We also just messed around with Chase Daniels way too long.

While Graham is overpaid he had 600 yrds by himself while our 10 guys had 400 combined. Now we have him and Kmet?? Best TE in the draft.....what am I missing about the pessimism you guys are seeing?? haha....im seriously lost

With some it seems to be a tradition.  They're the ones who were given a new car by Oprah but complained they didn't like the color.

After the debacles with Trestman and Faux you'd think most would be pleased to have gone 20-12 (.625%) over the last two seasons but some would have preferred we did 10-6 X 2 and that way they wouldn't have to acknowledge a regression depression that's as bad as if someone pissed in their Wheaties.....or maybe it was their Cocoa Puffs.

Pace has built an excellent foundation.  We could use a little more depth at a few spots but what team can't say the same.  Few teams are much better defensively and most of the issues with the offense are fixable.  Having an inexperienced HC leading an equally inexperienced QB didn't help us in 2019 but Pace and Nagy have made some major moves with both the coaching staff and in the QB room hoping to correct that.  At least they recognized the need and attacked it.

There's a good chance the impact of the pandemic is gonna make this a crazy unpredictable year for all 32 teams but by having an even more experienced coaching staff and a more experienced vet QB we may be better off than teams with new HCs and/or QBs who are still rebuilding.  Some also don't seem to understand that this whole process isn't about only an imagined two year SB window but also about building an organization that is once again a perennial winner each and every year.

Maybe many just haven't been watching this team as long as I have to know that this rebuild looks much like the early '80s and we may be a whole lot closer to our goals than they think.  The last overhaul should be the OL and that's at least partially completed now.  We could use some upgrades at OT and knowing Pace he'll figure out ways to do it.  But that's gonna take another year and we should already have known that based on the contracts for Leno and Massie and where we drafted.

To be honest I believe we could use a stud OT more than another QB.  We may end up far better off there than some think we are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I think people just know that without a franchise QB you're not enjoying any sustained success. See the Bears since...ever. lol. Even with one of the most dominant teams of all time Chicago's Achilles Heel was QB. Foles may have a hot streak here or there but he is a journeyman for a reason, he's routinely mediocre. Trubisky regressed but with improved OL and a real running attack he could be less of a liability, but you're losing a shootout with him at the helm usually. 

CB hasnt been proven to be improved. Prince wasnt spectacular but we have no idea how well our new guys will play or if Johnson will even be able to stay healthy. ILB is down since Kwit left, DT still has injury concerns. We lost Gabriel (not a big loss imo) but we are saying automatically that Mooney is an upgrade already? Idk. There are holes still, but with improved OL play the offense should at least not be horrible this season and that is an upgrade. They are obviously hoping better EDGE rushers will aid the DBs (which I believe as well). 

Is Jimmy Garopollo a franchise QB?  How 'bout Ryan Tannehill?  Carson Wentz?  Foles took over in Philly and beat the GOAT not Wentz.

Sorry Shane but I disagree.  How I define a franchise QB is a guy who can will his team to win all on his own without being surrounded by perfection at every other position and there are only a handful of those at best.  Gimme a dominant defense and a smart capable QB who can avoid costly turnovers and keep an offense moving and scoring consistently and I'll be in the hunt for the SB every year.

Franchise QBs tend to be cap killers so they have to win on their own in many cases because they don't always have the talent and depth other teams may have because it's not as affordable when one player is consuming 15% or more of your cap space.  You can keep extending or restructuring only so long before you pay the piper like NE had to with a $13.5 mil 2020 dead cap hit for Brady.

GB drafted Love because Rodgers is showing signs of declining and because at some point in time he'll be too costly to keep.

• Like 2