Post Draft Big Picture Bears Thoughts

dll2000

You can look at Roquan as a boys will be boys thing.

But on a personal level you have to be concerned with his path and a professional level with him missing games last year for mental reasons you also have to be concerned with his path.  

If he turns into another first round disappointment for Pace and Bears not sure what to say.  They thought he was safest player in draft I am sure.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You can look at Roquan as a boys will be boys thing.

But on a personal level you have to be concerned with his path and a professional level with him missing games last year for mental reasons you also have to be concerned with his path.  

If he turns into another first round disappointment for Pace and Bears not sure what to say.  They thought he was safest player in draft I am sure.  

This was not in his brochure...

If Pace gets gone this year, I think it will be both true to point out that his early draft picks were bombs, and also that there is an absolutely hilarious variety in the ways that a draft pick can bomb: Kevin Whit's freaky injuries, Floyd underperforming, Trubisky being the opposite of what you saw on the field, and possibly Roquan Smith, who's knock seemed to be that he was a perfect prospect at a non-premium position, possibly being a character flamout and headcase?  

I think if the Bear's had been able to get Joe Burrow in the 2nd somehow, he would already have taken off his mast to reveal that he was a robot and therefore ineligible or something

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

This was not in his brochure...

If Pace gets gone this year, I think it will be both true to point out that his early draft picks were bombs, and also that there is an absolutely hilarious variety in the ways that a draft pick can bomb: Kevin Whit's freaky injuries, Floyd underperforming, Trubisky being the opposite of what you saw on the field, and possibly Roquan Smith, who's knock seemed to be that he was a perfect prospect at a non-premium position, possibly being a character flamout and headcase?  

I think if the Bear's had been able to get Joe Burrow in the 2nd somehow, he would already have taken off his mast to reveal that he was a robot and therefore ineligible or something

If you want to make God laugh tell Him your plan.  

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1

Here's a thought.  Where once in 2018 future was looking very bright for 2021, it is not looking real great at QB position.

If Foles wins job, as most expect, and plays well you have to decide whether to pay an oft injured, inconsistent, aging QB as he opts out of contract.  

If MT comes in and unexpectedly plays well you have to decide whether to pay a QB that has been terribly inconsistent to date and whom most of fan base has given up on.  Or you have to tag him and that too will be very costly given that Mahomes and probably Prescott are going to drive that tag price up high.

If neither plays well you have to figure out how to get a QB with at team that is likely going to .500 or better.   Keep getting middle veteran QBs with red flags or mortgage future to move up in draft?

Bears never tank.  

I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.  Maybe a solution will present itself.  Maybe they won't purposely tank, but will stink anyway.  

41 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Here's a thought.  Where once in 2018 future was looking very bright for 2021, it is not looking real great at QB position.

If Foles wins job, as most expect, and plays well you have to decide whether to pay an oft injured, inconsistent, aging QB as he opts out of contract.  

If MT comes in and unexpectedly plays well you have to decide whether to pay a QB that has been terribly inconsistent to date and whom most of fan base has given up on.  Or you have to tag him and that too will be very costly given that Mahomes and probably Prescott are going to drive that tag price up high.

If neither plays well you have to figure out how to get a QB with at team that is likely going to .500 or better.   Keep getting middle veteran QBs with red flags or mortgage future to move up in draft?

Bears never tank.  

I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.  Maybe a solution will present itself.  Maybe they won't purposely tank, but will stink anyway.  

This is what people are vocalizing when they talk about the Bears’ limited championship window. The days of building an elite defense with money you saved on a rookie scale QB are coming to an end.

32 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

This is what people are vocalizing when they talk about the Bears’ limited championship window. The days of building an elite defense with money you saved on a rookie scale QB are coming to an end.

This is why drafting a Love when opportunity presents itself is not necessarily a foolish move.  You have to really stink to be at top of a draft.

Miami totally tanked and still didn't get top 3.

• Like 1

I wonder what’s going on in the heads of 5th through 11th best tight ends on our depth chart. Are they blindly optimistic that they’ll make the roster or do they comprehend they have no future. 

54 minutes ago, Tyty said:

I wonder what’s going on in the heads of 5th through 11th best tight ends on our depth chart. Are they blindly optimistic that they’ll make the roster or do they comprehend they have no future. 

They get it. I'm sure their friends and family tell everyone how good they are, but the player knows

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I didn't know Taylor Gabriel was a former try out player at a Browns camp.  Good for him.

Nobody is getting much of those opportunities this year.  

Yeah, he was a UDFA I believe

Watched most of Dallas/GB 2019 last night.  Quinn is a stud.

Game was a blow out in GB favor, but that is because Dak totally laid an egg early and Dallas kind of quit offensively after that and then everybody got hurt quickly.

So Dallas should have had two quick TDS to Cooper.  He was dominating early on a bum leg.  Dak made two bad throws when he was wide open and he would have went.  One was behind him and he flubbed it and Jaire picked it even though he was beat by 3 yards.  Another was caught, but because it was a bad throw he went down right away when he was behind the defense by at least 3 yards.  Then he also throws a terrrible INT.  Don’t remember exact order of things.    Cooper was clearly in a lot of pain whole game and then got hurt again.  At beginning of game Jaire clearly could not cover him 1 on 1.  Later in game Jaire dominated.  

So that is 14 points in first quarter that Dallas didn’t have and GB capatilzed on the turnovers to go up 14 instead.  

Dallas was playing a 3rd string OT at LT and he was getting killed after that.  Then their starting RT went down too.  And Dallas had to do all passes to try to get back in game.   After that it was over and it was a route.  A lot of defensive players quit too including their FA CB from this year that they let go for big $.  Can’t remember his name right now.  

Game could have had a completely different story though had Dak not been garbage in first quarter.  

Edited by dll2000