Run, run, pass, punt, are we headed back to this Bart Starr coaching philosophy of the 80's?

Skippy

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

Someone suggested on a Facebook group that we're going to an RPO style of offense, especially given the flexibility of our Day 2 guys and the OL we draft(who I really like btw). Thoughts?

?

We are already at an RPO offense. Problem is that we sucked at RPOs last year

8 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Not in anyone's best interest for that kind of detailed statement to be made.  That being said, I thought from the moment the SF trade up happened that the Niners knew they needed to move ahead of GB to get Aiyuk.  Then SF taking Aiyuk is what prompted GB to pull the trigger on trading up for Love, with Love being the last guy they had targeted for RD1 after Aiyuk was taken.

I’m actually not so sure. If the Packers view Love as a franchise QB, and so much so that they traded up for him, I feel he was their guy regardless of what WR would have been there. QB’s trump all other positions. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

I’m actually not so sure. If the Packers view Love as a franchise QB, and so much so that they traded up for him, I feel he was their guy regardless of what WR would have been there. QB’s trump all other positions. 

I agree. However it would give Rodgers a weapon and improve our team for this year and next year. Think of it this way, even when TT drafted Rodgers, he still went out of his way to draft multiple second round and third round weapons for Favre. 

27 minutes ago, sshle_ said:

I agree. However it would give Rodgers a weapon and improve our team for this year and next year. Think of it this way, even when TT drafted Rodgers, he still went out of his way to draft multiple second round and third round weapons for Favre. 

I agree but who says Aiyuk would help that much this year already? Odds are it will take him a couple years to get up to speed. Worked that way with Adams, Jennings, Nelson, Driver, Jones, etc. Plus, who was the last rookie WR Rogers trusted and took advantage of? 

Best bet for the WR corp to improve is from within.  

Edited by MantyWrestler

8 hours ago, Skippy said:

Thank you, someone else that actually followed our team in the 80's.

Absolutely... I was a kid and there was a lot of bad football, but I luv my 80's Packers.

The playoff run in 82, the Monday night game against the Redskins and the emergence of the Magic man are probably the best memories. A lot of other good stuff, too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Leader said:

So that means some club is gonna trade for AR (and take on his contract) heading in to the 2022 season when his cap hit would be 39.8M?
Not many organizations are (either) able or willing to put out that kind of cash. Possible? Yes. Likely? Less so IMO.

Thinking you gotta subtract the dead money from that season.  We will eat that.  

The reality is, Rodgers may cost someone around $22.6 for 2022.  And $25.5 for 2023.

If the guy can show that he's still a top 1/3 QB with glimpses of Godgers, someone should take him.

EDIT:  See that AG#20 beat me to this.

Edited by vegas492

18 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Agreed. You talk to teams about their drafting logic early on and they usually have 3 or 4 guys that they want to target. The guys that went from picks 21-24 were all guys who we targeted as a potential first round target. We probably had another two or three guys with Love being the most desirable so Gute and MLF felt that it was necessary to trade up for that reason alone.

18 hours ago, sshle_ said:

Our offense was different at that time and McCarthy was a WCO disciple. We were going to take multiple weapons for Favre given that we ended 2004 with Driver, Walker, Robert Ferguson, Antonio Chatman(RS), and Kelvin Kight(who?) as our WR's.

On the other hand, we only grabbed 2 skill position players in the 2005 draft with one of them cut in TC IIRC. It wasn't until 2006 when we went to town on weapons. 

18 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

I agree but who says Aiyuk would help that much this year already? Odds are it will take him a couple years to get up to speed. Worked that way with Adams, Jennings, Nelson, Driver, Jones, etc. Plus, who was the last rookie WR Rogers trusted and took advantage of? 

Best bet for the WR corp to improve is from within.  

First of all, Aiyuk wouldn't have been a good fit in our offense as he will be in SF's. SF's offense is much different from ours contrary to popular belief because their scheme is more of a quick hit, get the ball out type of passing attack. What you'll see SF do with Aiyuk is keep him clean, open up space for him, and send a few blockers down the field to clear the way. It worked at ASU and it will probably work Shanny's system. Aiyuk is explosive, but he isn't a burner and he was one of the many highly rated WR's that struggled mightily against press coverage. 

I don't think our WR corps will improve from within TBH. What you'll see is more of the same from last year, but with more run plays and jailbreak screens like we saw against Dallas with Deguara leading the way. I think you also see some of the over-the-middle stuff Shanny has in his system with Kittle, but expect Sternberger to do more out of the slot. 

On 4/26/2020 at 8:16 PM, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I vote for change the play in the huddle to sack, throw away, sack, punt.

the key is to get rodgers to not even want to pass.

that will stop him from changing the play

Edited by Malfatron

On 4/26/2020 at 11:03 AM, Skippy said:

Run, run, pass, punt, are we headed back to this Bart Starr coaching philosophy of the 80's? We have the worst receiving core in all of football and we just went thru the entire draft and didn't draft a receiver in the deepest receiver draft in modern day is inexcusable to me. 

Were you around when Bart was coaching?   Bart was way over his head as a HC.  Giving him the GM job on top of it was a recipe for disaster.  The geniuses on the BOD kept him around way too long too.  During Bart's tenure he had a very prolific passing attack in Lynn Dickey, Lofton, Jefferson and Coffman.   

Suggesting we have the worst receiving corps in all of football is hyperbole.  I suspect when our turn came up to pick this past weekend all of the WRs with a good grade in a particular round were gone.  Without seeing Gute's board we will never know.

• Like 1