Run, run, pass, punt, are we headed back to this Bart Starr coaching philosophy of the 80's?

Skippy

2 hours ago, festiveonion said:

If anyone from the organization is saying that it’s 100% to make teams waste practice time on some package we have no intention of using, or installing for that matter.

The only time Love sees the field is when we’re up 30 points heading into the two minute warning. So 14 times next season. 

Human victory cigar 2.0

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 11:01 AM, cannondale said:

Not that it matters, but read an article a long time ago, before I could make my own decisions, that stated Bart Starr was a damn good offensive mind, who was hampered by hiring some of his buddies and a piss poor personnel department. That offense with Dickey, Lofton, Jefferson, Coffman, Ellis, was anything but 3 yards and a cloud of dust. It was damn fun to watch

I recall seeing GB called "San Diego East" because of the air it out philosophy. Starr himself has said he had no idea how to be a head coach until something like 1983, and then they fired him. He was woefully unprepared when he was hired. 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 12:05 PM, CWood21 said:

I mean, it's not that they "love" what they have.  There's a very strong reality that the WRs that were available aren't an upgrade over what they have.  LIS, if Jordan Love was graded as a first round pick, and a potential franchise QB it'd be inexcusable to pass on him.  The WR board got hit pretty damn hard in the first round.  Probably a bit heavier than I thought it would.  But the problem was the WR board got hit hard in R2 as well.  Between 26 and 62, there were 7 WRs taken and the Packer already utilized their fourth round pick to move up to select Love.  So either you're giving up another semi-premium pick to move up and leaving more issues.  Are the Packers better off Mims or Dillon and Degaura?  Based on the identity the Packers want to do offensively, I'd say the latter.  I get it's not the "sexiest" of drafts, but how often do "sexy" drafts end up winning in the long run?

Theoretically, in a draft that is deep at a position, everyone lets those players slide because if the guy you like isn't there, another one just as good probably will be. 

That didn't happen with WRs this year. It was like a Black Friday doorbuster sale. 

On 4/26/2020 at 9:13 PM, Donzo said:

Absolutely... I was a kid and there was a lot of bad football, but I luv my 80's Packers.

The playoff run in 82, the Monday night game against the Redskins and the emergence of the Magic man are probably the best memories. A lot of other good stuff, too.

Unfortunately, there was even more bad stuff. 

As far as Majik, man, I'd love to get a peek at the alternate reality where he didn't wreck his shoulder. I don't know that he'd have been a GREAT QB (though for the time, his numbers were decent, and he had swagger, and charisma, and a knack for the big play), but he certainly would've made the back end of 90 and 1991 far more entertaining. 

Though the downside of Majkowski being above average is that Braatz (that guy wouldn't know talent if it walked up and bit him) and probably Infante stick around at least a bit longer, and we don't get the last 28 yrs. 

And the poster named "James Lofton" liked this, and I am choosing to believe it's the actual James Lofton. 

Edited by Mr Bad Example
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 10:00 AM, Outpost31 said:

Lol.  That's what's funny about it.  The Saints are stroking his ego saying he's a franchise QB, blah blah blah.  Packer fans are upset we let him go. 

They're acting like he's got 10 touchdowns for 1,000 yards on 9 passes. 

In reality, he's 6/13 for 119 yards with 0 touchdowns and 1 interception.

Taysom Hill is a useful player, and a great story. 

And also white AF so he's revered in GB. 

The run-first offense has worked for some in the past. Packers in the 60's, Miami in the 70's. Bears in the 80's, Cowboys, and Broncos in the 90's. as well as the Bucs and Ravens w/good defenses.  

On 6/2/2020 at 10:00 AM, Outpost31 said:

Lol.  That's what's funny about it.  The Saints are stroking his ego saying he's a franchise QB, blah blah blah.  Packer fans are upset we let him go. 

They're acting like he's got 10 touchdowns for 1,000 yards on 9 passes. 

In reality, he's 6/13 for 119 yards with 0 touchdowns and 1 interception.

Of course he really isn't being used as a QB in New Orleans so those numbers don't mean much.  The Saints use him as a offensive Swiss army knife and not a franchise QB.

Edited by Pugger
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 8:14 PM, SAM said:

The run-first offense has worked for some in the past. Packers in the 60's, Miami in the 70's. Bears in the 80's, Cowboys, and Broncos in the 90's. as well as the Bucs and Ravens w/good defenses.  

You should be able to throw the Shanahan 49ers into that bunch over the next few years. Wish we could emulate their defenses though...*insert standard form line about horrible IDL and ILB*

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

You should be able to throw the Shanahan 49ers into that bunch over the next few years. Wish we could emulate their defenses though...*insert standard form line about horrible IDL and ILB*

Its easy to build a good defense. Just draft top 10 for about 5 years in a row and boom you have a decent defense. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Its easy to build a good defense. Just draft top 10 for about 5 years in a row and boom you have a decent defense. 

That's a broad statement considering that Baltimore's defense is almost always really good. SF got lucky in that they hit on those guys though and not all of their first round picks were defensive players and on that defense, Jimmie Ward is the only non DL that was a 1st round pick. 

• Like 1

On 03/06/2020 at 10:48 PM, festiveonion said:

Lol if Rodgers is scotch what does that make Love?

Strawberry Daiquiri. 
Dude thought we forgot he signs his name with a heart 

Love is a good young port. Green Bay is the seasoned barrel in which he matures for years to become a GREAT vintage port.

All fine port is a blend of sweetness and spiciness. His heart is the sweet, lets hope the spicy comes out in camp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Love is a good young port. Green Bay is the seasoned barrel in which he matures for years to become a GREAT vintage port.

All fine port is a blend of sweetness and spiciness. His heart is the sweet, lets hope the spicy comes out in camp.

Then you take some bourbon and age it in that port barrel and you get Angel's Envy.