Run, run, pass, punt, are we headed back to this Bart Starr coaching philosophy of the 80's?

Skippy

19 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

It's unfortunate but the board fell just about as bad as it could for us at 30. 

I think the trade-up is a direct contradiction to this. If it fell as badly as possible (i.e. no one we liked was worth using that pick on) we would have obviously traded down.

Also am 100% convinced this FO would NEVER trade up in the first to select a WR. There's just nothing that supports this based on GM tree, history, coach needs and roster construction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skippy said:

Run, run, pass, punt, are we headed back to this Bart Starr coaching philosophy of the 80's? We have the worst receiving core in all of football and we just went thru the entire draft and didn't draft a receiver in the deepest receiver draft in modern day is inexcusable to me. 

No, its more like

Run,run,run,run, pa pass, run, pass, run, run, TD

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

This forum seems much higher on EQ and Funchess than I am.  I'd expect Lazard at WR2

And based on last years performance, that's the only way to look at it.

Funchess is a wild card. I tend to discount his CAR days (somewhat) cause I'm not a big proponent of Newton. WRs didnt tend to do well under him IMO. Steven Smith - to a degree - but thats it that I can think of.

And Lazard deserves a place at the table this year based on last year. Not questioning that at all.

I'm just letting the fan in me speak for EQ. I want him to succeed in so much as I want the weapon he represents in our passing attack.

6'5 and runs 4.4-4.5

I've wanted him to succeed since the day he was drafted and his rookie season did nothing to damper my thoughts he could.

Just throw him the damn ball!

He was out last year entirely. Some are banking current opinions on last years TC. I couldnt care less about TC frankly.

I'm hopeful he'll be back (and building) on his rookie year. The GB passing attack will be better for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skippy said:

Run, run, pass, punt, are we headed back to this Bart Starr coaching philosophy of the 80's? 

No... With Lynn Dickey, James Lofton, John Jefferson, Phillip Epps and Paul Coffman. That was not Bart Starr's offense.

• Like 1

We saw Matt LaFleur's offense last year. This whole thing that we're somehow transforming to 1960s football is laughable. 

The man said in an interview that he wanted another back, the board in round 2 fell like absolute crap if you wanted an offensive playmaker so they took the best one on the board. A guy they clearly loved as both Gute and LaFleur used the word "fall" when describing him being there. Even if the pundits and the rest of us had Dillon as a 3/4 rounder, they clearly had him top 50.

Round 3, Josiah was clearly another target. Vitale is a very stiff athlete who while a totally entertaining and good dude, was probably a better athlete/weight room guy than football player. Juice plays more like 50% of the snaps for San Fran, Vitale played about 15% for us. Perhaps that role was circled this off-season as a must fill.

Now my issue is these weren't premium roles or value that we got. You passed on guys day 2 who could've contributed to the OL/DL for niche players, but I don't have any doubts that both will be nice players for us. The offense we saw last year is the offense we saw this year. The guys we added allows us to be more creative within it. We're not taking the ball out of Aaron's hand to emulate old school football. 

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, Leader said:

Do we know this? Has somebody from the organization actually made this comment?

Not from GB, but (and take it with a grain of salt I suppose) this is what SF (Shanahan) had to say

"We feel very strongly from our Intel over the last few months, there's no way Aiyuk is getting to 31, 

They moved ahead of MIA, SEA, BAL, TEN and GB

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I think the trade-up is a direct contradiction to this. If it fell as badly as possible (i.e. no one we liked was worth using that pick on) we would have obviously traded down.

Also am 100% convinced this FO would NEVER trade up in the first to select a WR. There's just nothing that supports this based on GM tree, history, coach needs and roster construction.

I think by the time NO was on the clock at 24, GB was definitely moving up, with either 26 or 27 as the targeted move up point, and it was going to be Aiyuk or Love, the last 2 guys on their 1st round board. 

• Like 1

FYI for everyone championing EQ just remember he has never scored a touchdown, not even in preseason. Even Shepherd, Lazard, MVS and Kumerow have all scored TDs.

In preseason last year he never caught more than 1 per game whilst other players such as Shepherd and Kumerow racked up the catches. He subsequently got injured and then his season was over.

Reading training camp twitter reports we barely heard a peep regarding EQ. All the other receivers received more plaudits over the course of training camp.

Other than that 54 yard run against Detroit he has barely done anything.

I still struggle to understand why he is so popular among Packers fans.

Moore, EQ and MVS are complete total busts. That's why I wanted us to draft a WR so bad.

1 minute ago, Chili said:

FYI for everyone championing EQ just remember he has never scored a touchdown, not even in preseason. Even Shepherd, Lazard, MVS and Kumerow have all scored TDs. In preseason last year he never caught more than 1 per game whilst other players such as Shepherd and Kumerow racked up the catches. He subsequently got injured and then his season was over. Reading training camp twitter reports we barely heard a peep regarding EQ. All the other receivers received more plaudits over the course of training camp. Other than that 54 yard run against Detroit he has barely done anything. I still struggle to understand why he is so popular among Packers fans. Moore, EQ and MVS are complete total busts. That's why I wanted us to draft a WR so bad.

Positions you're more than entitled to.
Enlightenment doesnt come to everybody :)

47 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, at this point the WR class as a whole had a bunch of 2's/3's.   There weren't a whole lot of true 1s in this year's group.  The Packers are throwing numbers at the position, and hoping something sticks.

I don't buy the "we like who we have" stuff from Gute. I think we just haven't had any luck getting our man this off-season. They made a run at Sanders because they knew they needed to upgrade. He chose NO. You don't make that move if you're comfortable at the position. I also believe we would have taken Jefferson or Aiyuk over Love, but again, we didn't get a chance even with the move up to 26.

Past that, even at 62, there wasn't anyone on the board who was going to have the impact GB needed from a Sanders or 1st round talent.