Run, run, pass, punt, are we headed back to this Bart Starr coaching philosophy of the 80's?

Skippy

14 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I don't buy the "we like who we have" stuff from Gute. I think we just haven't had any luck getting our man this off-season. They made a run at Sanders because they knew they needed to upgrade. He chose NO. You don't make that move if you're comfortable at the position. I also believe we would have taken Jefferson or Aiyuk over Love, but again, we didn't get a chance even with the move up to 26.

Past that, even at 62, there wasn't anyone on the board who was going to have the impact GB needed from a Sanders or 1st round talent. 

I mean, it's not that they "love" what they have.  There's a very strong reality that the WRs that were available aren't an upgrade over what they have.  LIS, if Jordan Love was graded as a first round pick, and a potential franchise QB it'd be inexcusable to pass on him.  The WR board got hit pretty damn hard in the first round.  Probably a bit heavier than I thought it would.  But the problem was the WR board got hit hard in R2 as well.  Between 26 and 62, there were 7 WRs taken and the Packer already utilized their fourth round pick to move up to select Love.  So either you're giving up another semi-premium pick to move up and leaving more issues.  Are the Packers better off Mims or Dillon and Degaura?  Based on the identity the Packers want to do offensively, I'd say the latter.  I get it's not the "sexiest" of drafts, but how often do "sexy" drafts end up winning in the long run?

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, Donzo said:

No... With Lynn Dickey, James Lofton, John Jefferson, Phillip Epps and Paul Coffman. That was not Bart Starr's offense.

Thank you, someone else that actually followed our team in the 80's.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Malfatron said:

No, its more like

Run,run,run,run, pa pass, run, pass, run, run, TD

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Or in the case of the SF blueprint vs GB

Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run... TD

Dammit 

1 hour ago, Chili said:

FYI for everyone championing EQ just remember he has never scored a touchdown, not even in preseason. Even Shepherd, Lazard, MVS and Kumerow have all scored TDs.

In preseason last year he never caught more than 1 per game whilst other players such as Shepherd and Kumerow racked up the catches. He subsequently got injured and then his season was over.

Reading training camp twitter reports we barely heard a peep regarding EQ. All the other receivers received more plaudits over the course of training camp.

Other than that 54 yard run against Detroit he has barely done anything.

I still struggle to understand why he is so popular among Packers fans.

Moore, EQ and MVS are complete total busts. That's why I wanted us to draft a WR so bad.

So why are fans so interested in a rookie being the number 2 when they haven’t even gotten a 54 yard run under their belt in the league like EQ?

The answer is because you believe in the prospect...

He has height and speed... he didn’t get to do anything his 2nd year because he was injured. So there is hope his 3rd which is really like his 2nd he makes a jump.

• Like 2

I mean, a significant philosophical premise of the LaFleur offense is "Two-Way Disguise" where you have players in positions who can help in both the pass and run game from the same alignment.  So I doubt "we're going to do the same thing all the time" is in the cards.   This is why we want WRs who can block and how SF is so devastating with guys like Kittle and Juszczyk.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, a significant philosophical premise of the LaFleur offense is "Two-Way Disguise" where you have players in positions who can help in both the pass and run game from the same alignment.  So I doubt "we're going to do the same thing all the time" is in the cards.   This is why we want WRs who can block and how SF is so devastating with guys like Kittle and Juszczyk.

This. One of the reasons we liked dillon so much i imagine. Work horse RB who can also be used as a blocker on various screens / sweeps / reverses

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sshle_ said:

Jim Harbaugh was successful running his system with Colin Kaepernick. It obviously helps when you have a QB who can run. I see Love taking over by year 3 and Rodgers being traded 

So that means some club is gonna trade for AR (and take on his contract) heading in to the 2022 season when his cap hit would be 39.8M?
Not many organizations are (either) able or willing to put out that kind of cash. Possible? Yes. Likely? Less so IMO.

3 hours ago, snackattack said:

This. One of the reasons we liked dillon so much i imagine. Work horse RB who can also be used as a blocker on various screens / sweeps / reverses

The problem is, who gets the ball at these reverses? Ervin? Maybe but we dont have a really speedy gut who can break some tackles. I would liked Shenault in R2 for that but he was gone

42 minutes ago, AustrianPacker said:

The problem is, who gets the ball at these reverses? Ervin? Maybe but we dont have a really speedy gut who can break some tackles. I would liked Shenault in R2 for that but he was gone

Yeah i havent thought that far ahead. Just thought dillon showed this a bunch of times in college was probably something MLF liked for some of his offensive concepts

2 hours ago, Leader said:

So that means some club is gonna trade for AR (and take on his contract) heading in to the 2022 season when his cap hit would be 39.8M?
Not many organizations are (either) able or willing to put out that kind of cash. Possible? Yes. Likely? Less so IMO.

You're talking about salary impacts of the trade like this is the NBA.

When you trade a player, it has the same impact on your cap as cutting them.

If we trade Rodgers before the 2022 season, he has a dead hit on our cap of 17.2 million. 

The team that trades for him is only responsible for the unguaranteed part of his contract. That's his 25 million dollar base salary for 2022 and 2023. 

To the team that trades him, his contract would be like a 2/50 contract with no guaranteed money. 

• Like 3

Someone suggested on a Facebook group that we're going to an RPO style of offense, especially given the flexibility of our Day 2 guys and the OL we draft(who I really like btw). Thoughts?

6 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Rodgers. Jones. Jones. Jones. Jones. Williams. Williams. Williams. Dillon. Dillon. Belt.

?