What Grade Do You Give the Dolphins Draft???

Swampbilly

During the draft I was back and forth between an A and a B grade, but when we made the trade for Breida it solidified as an A-.

Why an A-??  Tua, type of Olinemen we drafted ( nasty maulers ) in Hunt and Kindley, Breida trade, and DT R.Davis ( a big fella at 6'7" that was great as a run stuffer for Bama ).

Why not an A+??  A little reachy on OT Austin Jackson at 18, I thought he would be there at 26, but I understand this pick is about 2021 and on.  A reach on Igbi at 30, I feel he would've been available through the middle of round 2.....I do like the player though.  I would have liked to see us be more aggressive in rounds 2 and 3 by using all those 5th and 7th round picks to move up our picks in round 2 and 3.

Overall staying put for Tua at 5 and making the Breida trade were my favorite moves for us in this draft.  The trade up for Kindley and Weaver weren't bad either. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

During the draft I was back and forth between an A and a B grade, but when we made the trade for Breida it solidified as an A-.

Why an A-??  Tua, type of Olinemen we drafted ( nasty maulers ) in Hunt and Kindley, Breida trade, and DT R.Davis ( a big fella at 6'7" that was great as a run stuffer for Bama ).

Why not an A+??  A little reachy on OT Austin Jackson at 18, I thought he would be there at 26, but I understand this pick is about 2021 and on.  A reach on Igbi at 30, I feel he would've been available through the middle of round 2.....I do like the player though.  I would have liked to see us be more aggressive in rounds 2 and 3 by using all those 5th and 7th round picks to move up our picks in round 2 and 3.

Overall staying put for Tua at 5 and making the Breida trade were my favorite moves for us in this draft.  The trade up for Kindley and Weaver weren't bad either. 

I agree with all of this.

i do wonder whether we would have taken Wilson at 30 if he had dropped and pushed our selections down a slot each. I will be interested to see how Weaver progresses and the reason he dropped. I only rated him as a 3rd rather than a 2nd as some have said but I feel my assessment took on board his weaknesses. He could be a steal.

While I'm not a fan of grading drafts this early, I will say this one inspires more hope than previous drafts, not only did they pick up a QB with at least the appearance of being a franchise QB (time will tell) they are laying a foundation in the trenches.  

Tua - Love the player, love the value - A+

Jackson - Like the player, didn't love the value, but I understand that they had to take him where they did (huge rumblings of Vikes interested at 22) - B

Igbinoghene - Like the player, didn't love the value.  Perfect scheme fit, though - B

Hunt - Love the player, didn't love the value.  Fins must have had some good intel that this kid was going to be taken before they drafted again at 56 - B+

Davis - Didn't like the player, but value seemed about right.  He looks the part, but seemed to mail it in the past few years - C

Jones - Like the player, didn't love the value.  (Seeing a theme here?) B-

Kindley - Like the player, love the value. A

Matt Brieda - Love this trade.  Perfect fit for the offense as a change of pace from the grinder Howard and great value for only a 5th round pick. A

Strowbridge - Don't like the player much, but it's a 5th round pick.  Always need big bodies for the Dline.  B -

Weaver - Like the player, love the value.  Couldn't believe he was there that late in the 5th.  A

Ferguson - I knew nothing about him, and can't say I love the idea of a LS being picked towards the beginning of round 6, but it was a clear need.  B-

Perry - Like the player, like the value.  I'm a fan of this kid, but I hope they don't try to make him only a slot WR.  He's a fun gadget player.  B+

Adding a 2021 6th rounder for a compensatory 7th rounder - A+

OVERALL GRADE - B+

I would have preferred they moved a little more on day 2 and I think better players and values were available, but it's entirely possible their intel said that Hunt wouldn't be there if they traded down.  It's clear Hunt was THEIR guy, and I can respect that.  He was my #1 OG in the draft (Ruiz was the #1 C for me).  This draft could have been absolutely phenomenal for me if Day 2 would have been a bit better, but I really can't complain when I like almost all of the players taken, even if I think the value wasn't always the greatest where they were picked.  I thought Xavien Howard was more of a 3rd round value and thought he was a slight reach in the 1st half of the 2nd round when he was picked in 2016.  He's better than all 7 of the 1st round DBs that year, other than Jalen Ramsey.  

Wow! I just realized that we passed up on James Proche for a long snapper in the 6th round! That would have made a huge difference, in my mind, about this draft. Also I know we couldn’t really control this, because Baltimore was ahead of us, but if we could have gotten JK Dobbins instead of Raekwon and gotten Proche in the 6th I would be so much more excited. Don’t get me wrong I do really like Raekwon but Dobbins would have been awesome. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

There's a recent Miami Herald article about how once Weaver started falling a bit, it was most likely that other teams thought that was a bad sign, and proceeded to avoid him themselves. "Groupthink"

I saw a lot of mocks with Weaver as a late first or early second round pick.  When I look at Weaver's body type I don't see any outstanding measurables; not a high twitch build, not elite length, short 'ish arms, no heavy hands, not an explosive type leaper, etc .  When I watch his pass rush on tape he looks quite pedestrian and not particularly strong, but....He consistently gains the edge on OT's by staying low on contact and then keeps bending ( slowly lol ) right to the QB.  All he does is get to the QB lol.  

I love the pick.  I knew he wouldn't go round 1 like many projected, but because of his elite production, I never thought he would have fallen to the 5th.  I hope he can make some splash plays and develop into that productive edge player we desperately need.

• 1 month later...

Tua - Good pick. Not having to move to get him was the icing on the cake. A+

Jackson - I thought this was a dumb pick. I know they didn't have many other options at OT here, but I'm bleh on him. D

Igbinoghene - Probably the rawest of 1st round selections. I am not a fan of this pick at all. D-

Hunt - A bit higher than I thought he'd go, but Hunt is a beast. He will be a serviceable OT or a star OG. A-

Davis - I believe in his ceiling. He's a great value this late. B+

Jones - What were they thinking? The dude is a missile, but lacks a ton of instincts. High upside, but low floor. D

Kindley - Surprised he was still around. Very good player and long-term starter inside. A

Matt Brieda - Good fit in Miami. Not much to say about this other than he's probably way better than the RB they would have gotten with this pick. B+

Strowbridge - Versatile DL that will get some minutes inside and out, methinks. Not very exciting, however. C+

Weaver - I don't really believe in Weaver, but I also don't believe in many guys taken late. Weaver was a great selection this late. B+

Ferguson - Drafting a long snapper is pointless. F

Perry - Honestly don't know the first thing about him. N/A

Overall, I think you guys had a solid haul due to the amount of picks. I don't love the value you got given the abundance of high-quality picks though. A ton of boom-or-bust picks, so we'll see how it all shakes out. I just thought you could have done better given the amount of quality picks that you had acquired.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Tua - Good pick. Not having to move to get him was the icing on the cake. A+

Jackson - I thought this was a dumb pick. I know they didn't have many other options at OT here, but I'm bleh on him. D

Igbinoghene - Probably the rawest of 1st round selections. I am not a fan of this pick at all. D-

Hunt - A bit higher than I thought he'd go, but Hunt is a beast. He will be a serviceable OT or a star OG. A-

Davis - I believe in his ceiling. He's a great value this late. B+

Jones - What were they thinking? The dude is a missile, but lacks a ton of instincts. High upside, but low floor. D

Kindley - Surprised he was still around. Very good player and long-term starter inside. A

Matt Brieda - Good fit in Miami. Not much to say about this other than he's probably way better than the RB they would have gotten with this pick. B+

Strowbridge - Versatile DL that will get some minutes inside and out, methinks. Not very exciting, however. C+

Weaver - I don't really believe in Weaver, but I also don't believe in many guys taken late. Weaver was a great selection this late. B+

Ferguson - Drafting a long snapper is pointless. F

Perry - Honestly don't know the first thing about him. N/A

Overall, I think you guys had a solid haul due to the amount of picks. I don't love the value you got given the abundance of high-quality picks though. A ton of boom-or-bust picks, so we'll see how it all shakes out. I just thought you could have done better given the amount of quality picks that you had acquired.

Yeah, this will either be proof that this FO is terrible at evaluating talent, or proof that they belong.  They clearly went after their guys; league value or perception be damned.  Will be interesting to follow for sure.