Browns Draft: If I Were in Charge

FGK

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The same way Honey Badger does? 🤷‍♂️ 

Tyrann Mathieu is a much better athlete and has much more natural coverage instincts, having played true cornerback for most of his college career. Winfield is bad in man coverage and was incredibly rarely asked to do it. That’s where Delpit has a clear-cut advantage. 

• Like 1

Watching Delpit’s at home press conference, he seems like a really likable dude also. Nice blend of confidence versus cockiness. Also seems like a mature and intelligent guy. He’s going to work hard and be a very good player for us.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Tyrann Mathieu is a much better athlete and has much more natural coverage instincts, having played true cornerback for most of his college career. Winfield is bad in man coverage and was incredibly rarely asked to do it. That’s where Delpit has a clear-cut advantage. 

That’s all well and good, but it’s not really the point I was making.

Dude thought because he’s 5’9 he can’t cover taller players.  I was simply pointing out height isn’t as much of a limiting factor as he believes.

I just love how guys tear down one guy to prop the other guy they wanted. Also I love how guys assume guys like Winfield and Harrison were just automatically going to be good, or that just because we didn't draft their guy at that pick, it was a mistake. 

I'm in the camp of sit back and watch how things play out, these are smart guys and have an exact rationale of why they targeted who they targeted and it certainly was about fit, not name recognition 

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I just love how guys tear down one guy to prop the other guy they wanted. Also I love how guys assume guys like Winfield and Harrison were just automatically going to be good, or that just because we didn't draft their guy at that pick, it was a mistake. 

I'm in the camp of sit back and watch how things play out, these are smart guys and have an exact rationale of why they targeted who they targeted and it certainly was about fit, not name recognition 

IMO, I will definitely do this as well, but the point of this thread is to draw a line in the sand (so to speak) and drafted "your guy" at those spots.

Now, I will also say, to be fair, that Berry showed why he's more qualified to be a GM than me (I know, not really a surprise) when he traded back 3 spots from #41 to #44, netting us Harrison Bryant essentially for free, as both S prospects (more importantly "his guy" Delpit) being there. He knew that the Colts and two other teams in front of us at #44 weren't going to draft him.

So, while people can still thump their chests and say "I TOLD YOU SO!" when their guy pans out/his doesn't (if that's even the case), then I also shouldn't be allowed to have a 4th rounder at all.

So, to be fair, my draft would look something like this:

#10: Wills

#41: Winfield (No 4th Rounder) albeit I'm happy with Delpit

1st 3rd: Do I even trade back? Do I even get that extra pick at #160? (I like our DT pick though!)

2nd 3rd: Harrison/Dye for me. Flip a coin really. We need a true MIKE, and I think Harrison with his size and play fits that mold better than Dye. He's also an undervalued athlete (Harrison) and and able blitzer with decent coverage ability. He makes plays behind the LOS and takes on blocks willingly.

4th: I don't have one because I didn't trade back

5th: I overdrafted DPJ

etc.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I mean, we’re just discussing our preferences.

PICK 10 -  Jedrick Wills Jr - OT (pick 10)

PICK 44 -  Antoine Winfield Jr - S (pick 45)

PICK 88 - Jordan Elliott - DT (Pick 88)

PICK 97 - Malik Harrison - ILB (Pick 98)

PICK 115 - Harrison Bryant - TE (Pick 115)

PICK 160 - Curtis Weaver - DE (Pick 164)

PICK 187 - DPJ - WR (Pick 187)

4 picks in which I fully agreed with the organization on...is a breath of fresh air.   and I get all of them outside of pick 2 of the 3rd round...

9 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Man people are gonna end up feeling silly when Delpit is a beast for us. I liked Winfield too, but I like Delpit’s ceiling and injury history a lot more. What you gain in solidness from Winfield is made up for by Delpit’s freaky athleticism. He’s a stud in coverage and is much more adept to being someone that can roll down and cover a TE or slot WR. Winfield is pretty bad in man coverage. 

tenor.gif

The ONLY thing I may have done different, is I probably wouldnt have traded down with the Saints in the 3rd and just taken Zack Baun....and that's moreso because of some  of the reviews of the folks in this room (and outside of this room).....

Bucky had him rated as his top off the ball LB behind Simmons......

But with the Josh Gordon/Antonio Calloway/Greg Robinson fiasco's AND getting an additional 3rd round pick next year......I can see the trade down. Bucky Brooks also had Elliot as his Top Rated DT behind Brown and Kinlaw....I likes that..

1 hour ago, DaWg_LB. said:

LOL....I saw this gif and thought of "This is me and @Mind Character debating Grant Delpit"

jon-original.gif

LOL

Some might say that's a surprisingly humanizing portrayal of Mind, but you make a fine Jon Snow.

57 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

This was when Delpit was on the Board when we originally picked and we traded down....

1*hZ_U3FBOiQGdTQfZsigxJg.gif

composition-stone-dolphin_28011_pic3_siz

• Like 3