Predict the Final 53: The Far Too Early Version

RpMc

1. QB Cousins  2. QB. Browning

3. RB Cook 4. RB Mattison 5. RB Boone 6. RB Abdullah 7. FB Ham

8. WR Thielen 9. WR Jefferson 10. WR Sharpe 11. WR B. Johnson 12. WR Q. Davis 13. WR Beebe

14. TE. Rudolph 15. TE Smith jr 16. TE Conklin

17. OT O'Neill 18 OT Reiff 19. OT Cleveland 20. OT. Odoh

21. OG Elfein 22. OG Samia 23. OG Dozier 24. C. Bradbury 25. C B. Jones

26. DE Hunter 27. DE Odenigbo 28. DE Willekes 29. DE Wonnum

30. DT Pierce 31. DT Stephen 32. DT Lynch 33. DT J. Johnson 34. DL Yarbrough

35. LB Barr 36. LB Kendricks 37. LB Smith 38. LB Gedeon 39. LB Dye 40 LB Wilson

41. CB Hughes 42. CB Gladney 43. CB Dantzler 44. CB Hand 45. CB HIll

46. S. Smith 47 S. Harris 48. S Cole ll 49. S Metelius 50 DB Dorn

51 Cutting 52 Bailey 53 Colquitt 

8 hours ago, vikes635 said:

1. QB Cousins  2. QB. Browning

3. RB Cook 4. RB Mattison 5. RB Boone 6. RB Abdullah 7. FB Ham

8. WR Thielen 9. WR Jefferson 10. WR Sharpe 11. WR B. Johnson 12. WR Q. Davis 13. WR Beebe

14. TE. Rudolph 15. TE Smith jr 16. TE Conklin

17. OT O'Neill 18 OT Reiff 19. OT Cleveland 20. OT. Odoh

21. OG Elfein 22. OG Samia 23. OG Dozier 24. C. Bradbury 25. C B. Jones

26. DE Hunter 27. DE Odenigbo 28. DE Willekes 29. DE Wonnum

30. DT Pierce 31. DT Stephen 32. DT Lynch 33. DT J. Johnson 34. DL Yarbrough

35. LB Barr 36. LB Kendricks 37. LB Smith 38. LB Gedeon 39. LB Dye 40 LB Wilson

41. CB Hughes 42. CB Gladney 43. CB Dantzler 44. CB Hand 45. CB HIll

46. S. Smith 47 S. Harris 48. S Cole ll 49. S Metelius 50 DB Dorn

51 Cutting 52 Bailey 53 Colquitt 

Why did you list the two centers on the team as back up guards and not a position unto themselves?  Just curious.

20 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

I think it depends on the terms of the Schofield deal. Don’t know how much he got but I think Kline would get a similar contract. 

We should know in not too long but the longer it goes without details being leaked by Schofield's agent the more likely it is to be a smaller deal, a deal that Schofield's agent doesn't want to brag about. Typically if the numbers look good for a player those numbers leak out early.

Your boy, Dalvin Cook, will look a lot better behind a decent offensive line. Kline is at least decent (when not concussed). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

We should know in not too long but the longer it goes without details being leaked by Schofield's agent the more likely it is to be a smaller deal, a deal that Schofield's agent doesn't want to brag about. Typically if the numbers look good for a player those numbers leak out early.

Your boy, Dalvin Cook, will look a lot better behind a decent offensive line. Kline is at least decent (when not concussed). 

Also Kelechi Osemele is still a free agent. He has proven to be great in Kubiak’s offense. At this point, I want some assurance that Elflein won’t be the starting LG. After watching that game against the Niners, he made Dee Jones look like Warren Sapp. Dee Jones wasn’t even the starter for that team. He would just judo chop his hands off of him and it was over. Elflein really got exposed bad in that game. Might have the weakest hands of all our guys up front and at LG, going up against DTs we need someone stronger. 

Edited by Purplepride323
  • Like 2

Osemele is now 30, coming off shoulder surgery and been injured quite a bit the last 2 seasons.  For the veteran minimum, sure I'd consider bringing him in as competition, but I can't imagine he's looking for that, otherwise he'd probably already have signed somewhere.

1 hour ago, Purplepride323 said:

I want some assurance that Elflein won’t be the starting LG. After watching that game against the Niners, he made Dee Jones look like Warren Sapp. Dee Jones wasn’t even the starter for that team. He would just judo chop his hands off of him and it was over. Elflein really got exposed bad in that game.

Dee Ford? 

Niners have a DJ Jones but he didn't play in the playoffs. 

Backup DTs that PFF credited with pressures for SF against the Vikings were Solomon Thomas and Earl Mitchell. 

2 hours ago, Krauser said:

Dee Ford? 

Niners have a DJ Jones but he didn't play in the playoffs. 

Backup DTs that PFF credited with pressures for SF against the Vikings were Solomon Thomas and Earl Mitchell. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FordDe00.htm

Dee Ford was in that game and played 3Tech as a sub. He’s a DE but he plays 3Tech as well. 

Edited by Purplepride323

20 minutes ago, Krauser said:

OK, but you said Dee *Jones*. So I was asking if you meant Dee Ford. 

Oh I meant Dee Ford. He’s one of the main reasons why I don’t think Elflein should be back as a starter. Just didn’t have an answer for that chop move. I don’t think his hands are strong enough to handle the left guard position. 

Edited by Purplepride323

16 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Why did you list the two centers on the team as back up guards and not a position unto themselves?  Just curious.

I was just grouping all the interior O-Line together, None of my list was really predicting depth chart more so just strictly the 53 man.  

Surprised a lot of people are cutting Jaleel Johnson. I think he still has good potential. He did a good job filling in for Linval against Zeke and Cowboys. Had a sack and contributed to lock Zeke down to just 2.4 yards per carry on 20 attempts. His second lowest of the year. Our run defense was on point in that game. 

Edited by Purplepride323

QB- Cousins, Mannion

RB- Cook, Mattison, Boone, Abdullah

FB- Ham

WR- Thielen, Johnson, Jefferson, Sharpe, Osborn

LT- Reiff, Cleveland

LG- Kline, Udoh

C- Bradbury, Jones

RG- Samia, Dozier

RT- O’Neill, Hill

TE- Rudolph, Smith Jr., Conklin

LE- Hunter, Wonnum

DT- Watts, Lynch

NT- Pierce, Johnson

RE- Odenigbo, Griffen, Willekes

SLB- Barr, Gates

MLB- Kendricks, Smith

WLB- Wilson, Dye

CB- Hughes, Gladney, Hand

CB- Hill, Dantzler, Boyd

SS- Harris, Metellus

FS- Smith, Dorn

K- Bailey

P- Colquitt

PR- Osborn

KR- Abdullah

LS- Cutting

I like this roster a lot. Hoping we re-sign Kline & Griffen. 🤞 

Also under the new CBA, two players on the practice squad have to be included as members of the active roster. Those two players I have are Quartney Davis and Nevelle Clarke. Basically keeping other teams from signing them away. 

Edited by Purplepride323
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

While not the projected final 53, here's PFF's projected starting lineup...I'm putting this here for ease of comparison when the time comes:

MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Offense

QB: Kirk Cousins

RB: Dalvin Cook

WR: Adam Thielen

WR: Justin Jefferson

TE: Kyle Rudolph

TE: Irv Smith Jr.

LT: Riley Reiff

LG: Ezra Cleveland

C: Garrett Bradbury

RG: Dru Samia

RT: Brian O’Neill

Defense

DI: Michael Pierce

DI: James Lynch

EDGE: Danielle Hunter

EDGE: Ifeadi Odenigbo

LB: Eric Kendricks

LB: Anthony Barr

CB: Mike Hughes

CB: Cameron Dantzler

CB: Jeff Gladney

S: Harrison Smith

S: Anthony Harris

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-projecting-all-32-nfl-starting-lineups-ahead-of-the-2020-season#NFC North

That's probably pretty close.

The more I've watched Cleveland, the more I think he could do well at guard if they don't want to drop him into the deep end at tackle his first year.

I'm not convinced Samia will be better than Elflein but he probably gets a chance to start early in the season to see how that goes.

I doubt Lynch will be starting week one but he might platoon with Stephen at 3-tech, playing mostly in passing situations.

Dantzler is probably better than Holton Hill but I think they're more likely to start Gladney outside, put Hughes in the slot in nickel, and have Hill as the CB3 playing outside in nickel. Going with 2 rookies in nickel in week one after a limited offseason seems overly ambitious. 

Maybe I'm higher than most on Holton Hill, but I think barring him being a moron, he's kinda entrenched as a starting boundary corner and can run away with it. He's really talented and has the size and length to go to battle with some of the bigger X receivers the Vikings will face next year.

I think Hill and Hughes are your starting corners; with Hughes pushed inside for nickel and Gladney coming in as a boundary.