Sign in to follow this  
RpMc

Predict the Final 53: The Far Too Early Version

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

Maybe I'm higher than most on Holton Hill, but I think barring him being a moron, he's kinda entrenched as a starting boundary corner and can run away with it. He's really talented and has the size and length to go to battle with some of the bigger X receivers the Vikings will face next year.

I think Hill and Hughes are your starting corners; with Hughes pushed inside for nickel and Gladney coming in as a boundary. 

Yea I agree

I think Hill gets one of the two boundary CB positions, and then Hughes or Gladney for the other boundary CB spot... My preference would be Hughes gets the 2nd boundary spot, and Gladney is the slot CB.

10 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

My preference would be Hughes gets the 2nd boundary spot, and Gladney is the slot CB.

Why do you feel Gladney should be the slot and not Hughes?

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

Maybe I'm higher than most on Holton Hill, but I think barring him being a moron, he's kinda entrenched as a starting boundary corner and can run away with it. He's really talented and has the size and length to go to battle with some of the bigger X receivers the Vikings will face next year.

I think Hill and Hughes are your starting corners; with Hughes pushed inside for nickel and Gladney coming in as a boundary. 

I've never been that impressed with Hill.

He played zone almost exclusively at Texas. And with the Vikings he's also mostly played zone, frequently matched up on lesser WRs. On the few occasions where he's had to roll up and cover a good receiver man-to-man, it hasn't gone great.

Here's the all-22 of his game against the Bears in week 17:

He doesn't have to do much (many plays there is no receiver challenging his zone) and he still gives up a couple of wide open receivers over the middle: a deep completion to Allan Robinson and what would've been a TD on the play before that if Trubisky hadn't bailed on a clean pocket.

I remember the famous Zimmer line about being able to find a cover-2 corner at 7-Eleven. I think that's what they see Hill as -- a zone corner but not good enough to build a coverage scheme around.

Dantzler's tape is much more impressive than Hill's from his draft year. I doubt they'll work more than one rookie into the top 3 corners immediately, but as the year goes on, I think Hill will slide down to 4th on the depth chart. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

Why do you feel Gladney should be the slot and not Hughes?

Hughes is fully capable of boundary.

Think Gladney talent translates to slot more.

Also gives more potential backup CB boundary snaps to Danz, whose skills basically only translate to boundary... Who if progression goes well could get a starting boundary spot next year

Edited by CriminalMind