Predict the Final 53: The Far Too Early Version

RpMc

2 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

This is obviously going to change a lot before cuts are made. They mostly default to the veterans, a default that I happen to agree with. It is interesting seeing they already have Gladney listed as the top RCB. This also reaffirms which positions the team currently sees these guys at right now.

The other thing that caught my eye is that they already have Samia listed in front of Dozier. That surprises me, but matches what many other had been expecting.

I put the players in some semblance of an order - the basic depth chart comes from the OurLads website - the Vikings won't put on an official depth chart til August

When I said I took the positions from their website it was for players like Hand and Brandel who were mentioned as players who could move to safety/guard respectively, and a player like Brady Aiello who was mainly a college right tackle, but is listed as a guard on the Vikings website; UDFA Jake Bargas was a tight end, but is listed as a fullback by the Vikings.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RpMc said:

I put the players in some semblance of an order - the basic depth chart comes from the OurLads website - the Vikings won't put on an official depth chart til August

When I said I took the positions from their website it was for players like Hand and Brandel who were mentioned as players who could move to safety/guard respectively, and a player like Brady Aiello who was mainly a college right tackle, but is listed as a guard on the Vikings website; UDFA Jake Bargas was a tight end, but is listed as a fullback by the Vikings.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I obviously wasn't understanding that correctly. 

After watching some more game tape on Myles Dorn I think he can surprise a lot of people and make the roster as the back-up FS. Maybe another UDFA FS hit for the Vikings. Also I like Hand more in the 6th CB role rather than Nevelle Clarke. 6th CB might sound a little crazy but the way I’ve seen Zimmer use his corners, even the 5th/6th guys gets a decent amount of snaps and opportunities to make an impact on the game.

Edited by Purplepride323

6 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Scratch off one potential veteran guard with ties to the Vikings.

Maybe we bring back Josh Kline to play LG? He had his highest PFF grade of 75 in 2015 playing LG for the Patriots. Honestly I don’t know if there’s a better option. Even if Cleveland impresses early and is named the starter, Reiff would be too expensive to keep as a LG. Bringing back Kline, we can even red-shirt Cleveland for half the season and have Reiff be Reiff until Cleveland’s ready to go. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

Maybe we bring back Josh Kline to play LG? He had his highest PFF grade of 75 in 2015 playing LG for the Patriots. Honestly I don’t know if there’s a better option. Even if Cleveland impresses early and is named the starter, Reiff would be too expensive to keep as a LG. Bringing back Kline, we can even red-shirt Cleveland for half the season and have Reiff be Reiff until Cleveland’s ready to go. 

Reiff isn't too expensive, he's already accounted for on the cap and we still have 8-9M in cap space with a near full roster.  It's easy to absorb his current cap hit, even with a position change.

• Like 1

Why is Reiff too expensive to keep at Guard? He’s overpaid, sure, but the Vikes can afford it if he’s still the best option. I’d look to cut him next year unless he performs well at OG and is willing to take a paycut in the future to reflect his position change.

13 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Why is Reiff too expensive to keep at Guard? He’s overpaid, sure, but the Vikes can afford it if he’s still the best option. I’d look to cut him next year unless he performs well at OG and is willing to take a paycut in the future to reflect his position change.

Josh Kline’s salary was $5 mil last year and Reiff’s will be $13 mil this year. Now I think Reiff can be a solid option at LG but not worth it for $13 mil. Cutting him would free up $8 million. Hopefully he can take a pay cut but I don’t think he actually will. Best bet might be to keep him at LT for some time, and just signing Kline at $4 mil to hold down the LG position. 

Edited by Purplepride323

3 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

If Reiff is playing LG that means we have an inexpensive player at LT (Cleveland or Udoh) so it balances out.  You can revisit Reiff's salary after the 2020 season. 

This is true, but if they bring back Kline for a couple million they'll have Reiff to play LT, which is valuable since Cleveland is no sure thing.

If Reiff loses the LT competition it isn't ideal to just hand him the LG job. It isn't just the money that makes me want to have another option at guard. I think that Kline would be a better guard than Reiff. It is important to have that competition. Reiff may well lose that competition and it would be nice from a cap standpoint to be able to cut him. Even if he wins the competition, the team can ask him to take a pay cut if they have a legitimate alternative. It would be tougher to get him to acquiesce when there is little threat of his alternative being looking for a new team that time of year.

Josh Kline’s salary was $5 mil last year and Reiff’s will be $13 mil this year. Now I think Reiff can be a solid option at LG but not worth it for $13 mil.

If you have your LT on a rookie salary it doesn't really matter. In the long term, yes it's probably best to re-examine his salary put for 2020 purposes, it's fine.

3 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

Josh Kline’s salary was $5 mil last year and Reiff’s will be $13 mil this year. Now I think Reiff can be a solid option at LG but not worth it for $13 mil. Cutting him would free up $8 million. Hopefully he can take a pay cut but I don’t think he actually will. Best bet might be to keep him at LT for some time, and just signing Kline at $4 mil to hold down the LG position. 

At this point, I believe that they can get Kline to sign for much less than $4M. Kline has a different frame of reference now than when he refused the pay cut the Vikings offered.

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

If you have your LT on a rookie salary it doesn't really matter. In the long term, yes it's probably best to re-examine his salary put for 2020 purposes, it's fine.

I disagree. It matters a lot. I am still trying to figure what the team needs to to to sign Clowney. An extra few million would be pretty valuable.

2 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

At this point, I believe that they can get Kline to sign for much less than $4M. Kline has a different frame of reference now than when he refused the pay cut the Vikings offered.

I think it depends on the terms of the Schofield deal. Don’t know how much he got but I think Kline would get a similar contract. 

• Like 1