Predict the Final 53: The Far Too Early Version

RpMc

4 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I disagree. It matters a lot. I am still trying to figure what the team needs to to to sign Clowney. An extra few million would be pretty valuable.

They can currently sign Clowney; money isn't what's stopping them.

There are much easier places to trim fat, such as Shamar Stephen, than Riley Reiff.

Edited by RpMc

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

They can currently sign Clowney; money isn't what's stopping them.

There are much easier places to trim fat, such as Shamar Stephen, than Riley Reiff.

I hope what I wrote didn't sound like I am in favor of trimming Reiff. I am not. But I am in favor of signing Kline. And a nice side effect of that is that it gives the team flexibility to save money on Reiff if other things fell the right way.

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

Riley Reiff's current salary is not the reason they are not pursuing Clowney.

Saving money against the cap is always valuable. Clowney is just an example of a guy that I would love to see them sign. In the cap NFL it always matters how those dollars are spent. Getting more value out of each cap dollar is always valuable.

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

Klein was nothing more than an average, at best, player who struggled with injury here; I'm failing to see the appeal, personally.

The appeal is related to the fact that I don't think the Vikings currently have average guards and I have doubts that Reiff would be average at it if he was forced to move there. Having at least one known quantity there would be very good.

Just now, Cearbhall said:

Saving money against the cap is always valuable. Clowney is just an example of a guy that I would love to see them sign. In the cap NFL it always matters how those dollars are spent. Getting more value out of each cap dollar is always valuable.

The cap is extremely easy to manipulate as Brz has shown again and again. There isn't anything the team currently can't get that cutting/restructuring Reiff would help them get; not to mention a cut would blow a hole in the depth of our line and some of the money gained would have to go towards filling it (with limited options out there).

Even rolling forward $8.8M this year from a Reiff cut is less than the near $12M they would gain if they moved on from him next year.

2 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

The appeal is related to the fact that I don't think the Vikings currently have average guards and I have doubts that Reiff would be average at it if he was forced to move there. Having at least one known quantity there would be very good.

Would Klein even be an average guard after his injuries? It's rumored he had multiple concussions, combined with a foot injury, beyond the one that kept him out this season.  Multiple concussions going into your 30's isn't something that is necessarily easy to come back from - there's a reason he's still unsigned despite being a starter on a playoff team last year.

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

The cap is extremely easy to manipulate as Brz has shown again and again. There isn't anything the team currently can't get that cutting/restructuring Reiff would help them get; not to mention a cut would blow a hole in the depth of our line and some of the money gained would have to go towards filling it (with limited options out there).

Even rolling forward $8.8M this year from a Reiff cut is less than the near $12M they would gain if they moved on from him next year.

It is easy to manipulate dollars from one year to the next, but over a period of years the team still has to account for every dollar spent and has a hard limit on how many of them can be spent.

As far as depth, I absolutely wouldn't pay $13M for a depth player. I would rather use that money to sign another starter instead.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Would Klein even be an average guard after his injuries? It's rumored he had multiple concussions, combined with a foot injury, beyond the one that kept him out this season.  Multiple concussions going into your 30's isn't something that is necessarily easy to come back from - there's a reason he's still unsigned despite being a starter on a playoff team last year.

Fair points. I think he would be average, or at least near-average. I can't say that I think that about the other guys the Vikings have on the roster right now. Obviously, if you think that he wouldn't be average then there is little point in signing him. The team did offer him a reduced salary before cutting him. That implies they think there is still some tread left on the tires.

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

It is easy to manipulate dollars from one year to the next, but over a period of years the team still has to account for every dollar spent and has a hard limit on how many of them can be spent.

As far as depth, I absolutely wouldn't pay $13M for a depth player. I would rather use that money to sign another starter instead.

This is only true in the case of guaranteed money.

Obviously no one would pay $13M for a depth player, as of now, Reiff isn't - if he gets beat out for the LT spot and they don't think he's a viable guard, something will be done about his contract; either a pay cut or an outright cut.  Right now, cutting him would blow a hole in our roster that would not be able to be filled by a current free agent.

What starters are out there to sign that we can't already sign?

2 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Fair points. I think he would be average, or at least near-average. I can't say that I think that about the other guys the Vikings have on the roster right now. Obviously, if you think that he wouldn't be average then there is little point in signing him. The team did offer him a reduced salary before cutting him. That implies they think there is still some tread left on the tires.

Agreed, that he likely can still provide something, but more likely as a backup than a starter; to me, that's why they offered him a reduced salary to stay around, and he declined because he believes he can still start.

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

Obviously no one would pay $13M for a depth player, as of now, Reiff isn't - if he gets beat out for the LT spot and they don't think he's a viable guard, something will be done about his contract; either a pay cut or an outright cut.  Right now, cutting him would blow a hole in our roster that would not be able to be filled by a current free agent.

Then you must have misunderstood what I was saying. I wouldn't cut Reiff if he won a starting job. I expect him to be the starting LT. When I mentioned cutting him that was contingent on him not winning a starting job.

• Like 2

Kline has had no market so far. They could probably still bring him back for cheap ($2M?). I don't expect that, they released him for a reason.

Reiff is likely going to be the only veteran starter on the OL, either at LT or LG. He's a team captain and the leader of the position group. 

In theory it'd be an upgrade at LG for them to release Reiff if Cleveland is starting at LT, and bring in an experienced vet at LG (say, Thuney). But I think they'll want to keep Reiff because he can be a fallback plan at LT.