The Defense

MKnight82

impressed.gif 

So where did this defense come from all of a sudden?  Let's try to break it down:

- The removal of Joe Barry.  This is probably the biggest change from last season.  Our new coordinator is actually effective at his job.  

- Existing players on the roster took a step forward.  This IMO is the biggest personnel change we've had.  Guys that were already on the roster have made a big impact: Preston Smith, Matt Ioannidis, Kendall Fuller, Bashaud Breeland.  The improved play of these four has made a huge difference.  

- The rookies.  Jonathan Allen causes a lot of disruption up front.  So much so that guys like Ryan Kerrigan are getting 1 on 1 blocking now, and he is feasting.  Nicholson had a great game, and Moreau looks great on special teams (not sure if he's been out there on defense or not).  Ryan Anderson hasn't had a huge impact yet but he's been solid.  

- The FA additions.  Zach Brown and DJ Swearinger are two of the best players on our defense right now.  Brown seems to be everywhere, and Swearinger appears to be a leader in the secondary that gets everyone lined up appropriately.  

- Tougher mentality.  The main leader of our defense is the coordinator, and our weak soft zone coverage of the past was a very finesse way of football. You can't win games that way, because elite QBs can pick you apart.  You beat elite QBs by hitting them, a lot.  Our secondary was able to feast on the Raiders because our line was getting to Carr over and over.  If we keep up the pressure it makes the entire defense look better.  Also the hard hitting and great tackling is something that wasn't present in the preseason, but I'm glad it has shown up in the regular games.  

I honestly thing the 3 new D coaches have made the biggest difference.  Gray especially had these guys playing great in the secondary, which give the DL just that extra second to get to the QB.  And if this is the case then they will get better and better which should be a very scary thought on whoever plays us.

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

impressed.gif 

So where did this defense come from all of a sudden?  Let's try to break it down:

- The removal of Joe Barry.  This is probably the biggest change from last season.  Our new coordinator is actually effective at his job.  

- Existing players on the roster took a step forward.  This IMO is the biggest personnel change we've had.  Guys that were already on the roster have made a big impact: Preston Smith, Matt Ioannidis, Kendall Fuller, Bashaud Breeland.  The improved play of these four has made a huge difference.  

- The rookies.  Jonathan Allen causes a lot of disruption up front.  So much so that guys like Ryan Kerrigan are getting 1 on 1 blocking now, and he is feasting.  Nicholson had a great game, and Moreau looks great on special teams (not sure if he's been out there on defense or not).  Ryan Anderson hasn't had a huge impact yet but he's been solid.  

- SOME OF The FA additions.  Zach Brown and DJ Swearinger are two of the best players on our defense right now.  Brown seems to be everywhere, and Swearinger appears to be a leader in the secondary that gets everyone lined up appropriately.  

- Tougher mentality.  The main leader of our defense is the coordinator, and our weak soft zone coverage of the past was a very finesse way of football. You can't win games that way, because elite QBs can pick you apart.  You beat elite QBs by hitting them, a lot.  Our secondary was able to feast on the Raiders because our line was getting to Carr over and over.  If we keep up the pressure it makes the entire defense look better.  Also the hard hitting and great tackling is something that wasn't present in the preseason, but I'm glad it has shown up in the regular games.  

Minor edit there. The ones you mention were not our main acquisitions. Arguably they were #5 and #3 in terms of our interest/investment, but they have been the two biggest additions.

The others? Eh, we could live without them.

Just now, Woz said:

Minor edit there. The ones you mention were not our main acquisitions. Arguably they were #5 and #3 in terms of our interest/investment, but they have been the two biggest additions.

Well I missed the first two games, but McClain and McGee certainly didn't stand out last night.  However, they may be adding to the new tough mentality of the defense, probably too soon to judge them yet.  

1 minute ago, Woz said:

I don't agree. McClain & Mcgee are part of our DL rotation. They play mostly just in our 3 man DL and they are part of the reason that our run defense is a lot better.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Well, can I get some love? Lol ? jk

Oh and by the way, our defensive coordinator was a coach last year and most hated the hire because he was a let of Joe Barry's staff and they thought he wasn't successful coaching for other teams.

Slow your roll there, we know you gotta stand up for Uncle Joe, but Manusky was only under him for one season.  We're lucky the loser stink from Barry didn't rub off on him.  

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Slow your roll there, we know you gotta stand up for Uncle Joe, but Manusky was only under him for one season.  We're lucky the loser stink from Barry didn't rub off on him.  

True but almost everyone was against the Manusky hire. I wasn't jumping up and down about it either but I did realize he was good in SF

click on Phil taylors tweet. You'll love it 

29 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don't agree. McClain & Mcgee are part of our DL rotation. They play mostly just in our 3 man DL and they are part of the reason that our run defense is a lot better.

I look forward to snap count/usage numbers.

23 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I just do not understand Allen falling to 17th? I've seen talented players drop before but Allen doing so was just teams being stupid. I'm glad we weren't one of those teams. 

I agree but injuries scare teams off. Malik Hooker shouldnt have fallen to the Colts either but he did becsuse of injury and now they have an Ed Reed type playmaker on the back end.

4 hours ago, Woz said:

I look forward to snap count/usage numbers.

What Cooley said about the DL last week vs Rams:

Best player in the game was Ioannidis. He had the 2nd most snaps of any DL. Stuffing run, hustling down the line for run stops. Good pressure. He was an A!

Only in 3-4, 14 times out of 50 plays in the game.

Allen was a B. He & Ioannidis mostly play in the nickle defense in 4 man fronts.

Hood, McClain and McGee play in base 3-4 on run looks by offense.

19 snaps for Hood, he was a B.

McClain played 18 snaps and was a B+.

McGee played 18 snaps and was the worst DL of the game and was a  D.

37 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

What Cooley said about the DL last week vs Rams:

Best player in the game was Ioannidis. He had the 2nd most snaps of any DL. Stuffing run, hustling down the line for run stops. Good pressure. He was an A!

Only in 3-4, 14 times out of 50 plays in the game.

Allen was a B. He & Ioannidis mostly play in the nickle defense in 4 man fronts.

Hood, McClain and McGee play in base 3-4 on run looks by offense.

19 snaps for Hood, he was a B.

McClain played 18 snaps and was a B+.

McGee played 18 snaps and was the worst DL of the game and was a  D.

I know ... I commented on it. I saw nothing from McClain or McGee that make me think they were an improvement from that, which is sad since the rest of the defense balled out.

Archived