Counselor

Day 3 Steals

I had Tyler Johnson, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Curtis Weaver,  and Tyler Biadasz going earlier than they did.

Chapeux.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Counselor said:

I really don’t get the hype. Short arms, not athletic. Curtis Weaver is better imo if we are talking about shorter armed non great athletes pass rushers.

Is it the chance at early playing time? 

The ones who stood out to me were Peoples-Jones and Bryce Hall. JR Reed if we are counting undrafted free agents.

Also I'll take the homer tag on Curtis Weaver and Malcolm Perry. Weaver has a strange body. I could understand the slippage if he tested poorly. But he was 7 flat in the key edge category of the 3 cone. We discussed that here a month or two ago, regarding the recent historical significance of the 3 cone number toward edge rusher success or failure. The guys at 7 or slightly below have outperformed. There were numerous guys taken well above Weaver who are in that 7.3 range that typically disappoints.

Those numbers are here: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-combine-2020-results-curtis-weaver-justin-madubuike-winners-as-edge-rushers-defensive-linemen-work-out/

Football Outsiders in the recent SackSEER column had Curtis Weaver with the second highest edge rating behind Chase Young. The column said Weaver would be a bargain in the third round. He was taken in the fifth.

Perry was my favorite gadget player in the draft. I just hope the Dolphins don't overthink matters while trying to make him something he's not, another Julian Edelman type. If Perry is running a swing route against a linebacker he can gain 3 yards separation in a flash in either direction. It has a chance to be famous if the Dolphins do this correctly.

Edited by Awsi Dooger

12 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Here's his WR rankings. You guys got a top 5 WR. 

😂😂😂 WTF. Never change UT fans

12 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Really why do you think that?

First of all, Jauan Jennings is not that special of an athlete.  He can't run that fast.  He doesn't jump particularly high.  He doesn't have great body control.  He doesn't even have natural hands for a wide receiver.  You'll constantly see body catches from him and the occassional drop.  I would even argue wide receiver isn't his natural position.  He would probably be better suited to playing strong safety or some other position on defense.  With that said, he is without a doubt the most COMPETITIVE football player I've ever seen.  And its why I will never bet against him. 

The guy is simply put a force of competitive nature.  He is the type of player who immediately changes a locker room.  He has a genuine personality that just draws people in.  An absolutely nice guy off the field.  But on the field he will also rip your head off in competition.  He gets in his opponents heads regularly drawing flags on them (and sometimes himself).  He's the type who you love when he's on your team but absolutely detest when he's on the opposition.  A natural leader who teammates and coaches gravitate towards. 

Now that I pointed out his intangibles and physical flaws, let me give you his physical strengths (cause he's not just about the intangibles).  The first is he has good size for the position (6'3" 210 lbs).  And he knows how to use it.  He is the embodiment of the big physical WR.   He knows how to use his body to get separation to make contested catches.  Despite his lack of speed, he always looks like he's open because of how adept he is at using his size and length to box out smaller defensive backs.  After the catch, he makes it nearly impossible for one guy to bring him down in the open field.  The guy is a YAC monster.  He sometimes looks like Earl Campbell in open field with how he carries defensive backs on his back for extra yards as they try to bring him down.  He's also a natural runner, so eventhough he isn't fast, he knows angles and how to get by guys for even more extra yardage after the catch.  He also has some nice shake in the open field so he's not just about power when in comes yards after the catch.  And finally, he's incredibly clutch.  Everyone remembers the Hail Mary he caught against Georgia in 2016, but a week earlier he made several clutch catches that ignited the comeback against Florida.  Later that same year he was once again clutch in an attempted comeback against South Carolina that fell short.  The clutch gene is a real thing.  Some players have it.  And Jauan Jennings is one of those players.

If you're a Niners fan, just know one thing.  Jauan Jennings will be a fan favorite in San Francisco.  Ya'll will love him.  He's just one of those athletes that draws people to him.  Just go ask Tennessee Vols fans.  He's as beloved as any player to ever play for them.

I thought it was really interesting that Anthony Lynn compared Joe Reed to Josh Cribbs. I think he's a guy who isn't necessarily going to be a stud on offense, but is going to be an elite KRer and a gadget player/homerun hitter on offense....

I'm excited to see if we got a steal in Curtis Weaver, or we'll realize why he dropped.

5 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

I'm excited to see if we got a steal in Curtis Weaver, or we'll realize why he dropped.

I just realized that we got another steal in the fifth round also from Boise St. not too long ago. You might remember a guy named... JAY AJAYI. Haha hopefully this Weaver turns out as good or better I’m very excited about that pick.

3 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

He should outplay his draft spot, if that's what you mean by steal. He's a really low-ceiling rotational edge rusher who has potential to carve out a long-time career as a backup. 

4 hours ago, VanS said:

First of all, Jauan Jennings is not that special of an athlete.  He can't run that fast.  He doesn't jump particularly high.  He doesn't have great body control.  He doesn't even have natural hands for a wide receiver.  You'll constantly see body catches from him and the occassional drop.  I would even argue wide receiver isn't his natural position.  He would probably be better suited to playing strong safety or some other position on defense.  With that said, he is without a doubt the most COMPETITIVE football player I've ever seen.  And its why I will never bet against him.

The fact that this description is what caused you to rank him ahead of CeeDee Lamb and Jerry Jeudy....

9 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Football Outsiders in the recent SackSEER column had Curtis Weaver with the second highest edge rating behind Chase Young. The column said Weaver would be a bargain in the third round. He was taken in the fifth.

I feel like getting a high rating against Weaver's level of competition isn't all that impressive. Over half of his sacks last year came in 2 games against Portland State and UNLV. He was a ghost in the bowl game against Washington. 

1 hour ago, SaveOurSonics said:

The fact that this description is what caused you to rank him ahead of CeeDee Lamb and Jerry Jeudy....

Some guys just have "it".  Measurables, stats, or hype don't define them.  They exceed or rise above those limitations to succeed.

Jauan is one of those guys.  

Posted (edited)

Eason is a good one. Not because I'm convinced he will pan out, but because of where they got him, and the situation he finds himself in (learn behind Rivers, take over for a team with a good offensive line, run game, and (hopefully by then) good, developed receivers

Bryce Hall and (homer) Amik Robertson

KJ Hill went way later than I could have guessed

Tyler Johnson should also work out well given his QB situation

Edited by Turnobili

1 hour ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I feel like getting a high rating against Weaver's level of competition isn't all that impressive. Over half of his sacks last year came in 2 games against Portland State and UNLV. He was a ghost in the bowl game against Washington. 

Kid played hurt since the New Mexico game. If you watch the tape of any of the games after that he wasn’t the same compared to before the injury. 

1 hour ago, VanS said:

Some guys just have "it".  Measurables, stats, or hype don't define them.  They exceed or rise above those limitations to succeed.

Jauan is one of those guys.  

Renner and Gayle from PFF were talking about Jauan, mentioning that something was said about his character that was so bad, teams had dropped him completely. They wouldn't say what it was and moved on. It sounded like it was something that wasn't common knowledge.

Lol I love it when people bring up intangible crap like the "it factor". That's when you know that more than likely, you're dealing with a poor prospect