Better prospect: Joe Burrow or Trevor Lawerence?

DigInBoys

Better Pro Prospect  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather draft?

• Burrow
    • Lawerence

I think I'm probably more torn on this than most, only because Burrow has exactly what I'd want in a QB. His anticipation, accuracy, and subtle movement in the pocket is so incredible. But at the same time, Lawrence so clearly has more physical upside. It wouldn't shock me at all if burrow is a much better NFL QB, but has a pure prospect, Lawrence takes a slight edge for me

• Like 1

Burrow easily

I don’t see a great pure pass when I watch Lawrence. 

I think he’s really overrated for a few reasons

1.  He does have the physical tools 

2.  He plays on a very talented team

3. Playing in the ACC he has no competition 

When I watch him man I do not see a great passer. His completion percentage shows it. He’s talented and he’s an athlete. I’m not sure if he’s going to be a bust, but I’m taking Burrow over him. Burrow attacks every part of the field at every level. He has touch, accuracy, velocity, and movement. 

Burrow gives off Tom Brady vibes for a reason. Lawrence isn’t getting those and there’s a reason for that too. He just throws deep balls to outside receivers that are more talented than their defenders. 

Edited by brownie man

It depends on how much you value a ceiling vs. a floor. There is absolutely no question that in terms of sheer measuarables, Lawrence has him by a mile. He's got a stronger arm, he's bigger, stronger, and at least as good of an athlete. He's also 3-4 years younger than Joe.

Right now, Burrow has more accuracy (consistently anyway), elite anticipation, and every intangible you can ask for. We will see how Trevor does this season in improving/showing those factors as a junior.

How does he go through his progressions?

Does his accuracy/anticipation improve when under pressure? (See: Ohio State)

How does he do in presnap identification?

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

Burrow easily

You're entitled to your opinion for sure.

I don’t see a great pure pass when I watch Lawrence. 

I'd encourage you to rewatch his freshman season and particularly the Alabama game.

I think he’s really overrated for a few reasons

1.  He does have the physical tools 

How does that make him overrated? It means that he's got a lot of potential.

2.  He plays on a very talented team

*Checks and sees that 13 LSU players were drafted on Joe Burrow's team last year, not including Thaddeus Moss getting picked up as an UDFA

3. Playing in the ACC he has no competition 

Fair criticism. That said, he also has proven against elite competition in OSU/Alabama that he has/can have production.

When I watch him man I do not see a great passer. His completion percentage shows it. He’s talented and he’s an athlete. I’m not sure if he’s going to be a bust, but I’m taking Burrow over him. Burrow attacks every part of the field at every level. He has touch, accuracy, velocity, and movement. 

I think that all of this is very fair, except for "velocity". Burrow has an average to above average at best arm.

Burrow gives off Tom Brady vibes for a reason. Lawrence isn’t getting those and there’s a reason for that too. He just throws deep balls to outside receivers that are more talented than their defenders. 

He also gives off K. Cousins vibes for a reason. I think that he's got the floor of Cousins and the ceiling of TB12/Joe Montana. However, if you look at Burrow's passes at or outside of the numbers, especially on "out routes", those are pedestrian at best, and a cause for concern on whether or not he will/can do it at the next level. Burrow isn't a flawless prospect either.

• Like 1

One thing that's also needed considered w/ Burrow is he went from pretty much a no-name to instant star in one season. He doesn't have a lot of production which Lawrence has. Which Joe will you get? Was it b/c of Brady he was so good? Players w/ leaps like that and only one year of it to show should make one at least a little skeptical. Not only that, his passes outside the numbers weren't the best either. Just things to keep in mind.

• Like 1

Lawrence and it's not close.  Burrow had about as good a season as you can have, but he's a one year wonder with a fantastic supporting cast.  Lawrence won 27 of 28 games, including beating Bama for the NC, and the only game he's lost as a starter was the NC against LSU, while showing elite physical traits the entire time.

He's probably faster than Burrow too, and even though Lawrence had a great supporting cast too, he didn't seem to fall off except for a couple of games after minor injuries this past season.   Burrow is a great QB prospect, but Lawrence is an elite one.

• Like 1

Lawrence, but I do like Burrow's on field moxie more. I think they are both going to be great. 

One big thing they both have is a short memory of mistakes, its something that always bothered me with Baker. Great QB's dont let mistakes compile and affect their on field confidence, and I think Lawrence and Burrow have that trait in spades. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MWil23 said:

You're entitled to your opinion for sure.

I'd encourage you to rewatch his freshman season and particularly the Alabama game.

How does that make him overrated? It means that he's got a lot of potential.

*Checks and sees that 13 LSU players were drafted on Joe Burrow's team last year, not including Thaddeus Moss getting picked up as an UDFA

Fair criticism. That said, he also has proven against elite competition in OSU/Alabama that he has/can have production.

I think that all of this is very fair, except for "velocity". Burrow has an average to above average at best arm.

He also gives off K. Cousins vibes for a reason. I think that he's got the floor of Cousins and the ceiling of TB12/Joe Montana. However, if you look at Burrow's passes at or outside of the numbers, especially on "out routes", those are pedestrian at best, and a cause for concern on whether or not he will/can do it at the next level. Burrow isn't a flawless prospect either.

I’ll agree his out route are average. But 2 things. 

1. NFL hashes are close so this out routes won’t be as difficult. 
2.  Don’t throw them at much he’s  near flawless every else. The opposite hash out route will not determine his career. 

he didn’t have a passing touchdown against OSU I was at the game. He didn’t look great at all until he hit those huge runs. 

LSU talent Differential vs the SEC is MUCH smaller than Clemsons talent differential vs the ACC. It’s not even close. Plus Clemsons out of conference schedule is boo boo. 

And his athleticism and arm strength mask his true passing skills. He’s still young for sure this may change. But right now Burrow is the better passer at attacking the field with accuracy. 

I like Fields better too. He’s a better complete passer. Look at the passing charts for all 3 players this past year. Lawrence is at the bottom.  His freshman yeah team was absolutely loaded.